PDA

View Full Version : Fan switch location.

Mostin
17-08-2015, 06:53 PM
Hello all.

Question for the water pumpers with front radiator.

Where in the cooling system did you fit your radiator fan switch sensor?

Cheers.
Mostin

Spacenut
17-08-2015, 08:44 PM
Mine is integral to the radiator itself. It is located at the end of the radiator where the heated coolant is pumped into the radiator, so senses the temperature of the coolant exiting the engine. Of course it has cooled considerably in the course of its travels from the back of the car!

Lauren

Gmacz
17-08-2015, 09:43 PM
Mine has an inline one, get the diameter of the hose and buy the correct size, cut it and fit inline.
I use it as a bleeding point because it is just rubbish.
I just use a manual switch but if you do not notice temp climbing, it could get expensive.
Radiator is best place if there is a place for one, there is also one that clips onto the radiator fins, that is the one I was looking at if manual was not working for me.

Dirk
17-08-2015, 11:38 PM
The one I fitted to my Nova was an inline one just before the radiator input, top hose and worked fine.

Dirk

islandman
18-08-2015, 01:47 AM
Mine is an adjustable aftermarket one (Kenlowe) with the sensor going into the top tube of the radiator. I left the original integral one in the radiator but wanted to choose when my fan kicked in

Mostin
18-08-2015, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the input.

Mine is inline in the hose just before it goes in the to the top of the radiator.

I've been talking to a "pub expert" who got me thinking.

Yes I Know, I should know better!

Once again thanks.
Mostin.

Peter
19-08-2015, 07:33 AM
A switch in the radiator or in the top hose is OK but it works on the water there not where it is working, what you really need to know is the ENGINE temperature and that could be as much as 20 degrees higher than the radiator up front and any sudden rise in temperature would take time to register on the radiator 2 meters away. so I would go for one in the head/thermostat, I know it is a long way to run a wire to the fan up front but it is the best. Owning six rear engine Skodas has taught me that the hard way

islandman
19-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Owning six rear engine Skodas has taught me that the hard way

You owned 6!! Clearly you are a slow learner :oops2: Most people would have stopped at one and then never mentioned it again to another sole for fear of permenant ridicule :tongue1:

Peter
19-08-2015, 05:14 PM
I should have added, "without any major problems", and that includes a group A rally car. But seriously, having the fan switch on the engine end was the way because by the time the radiator got the message if was too late.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart 4 turbo using Tapatalk

Spacenut
19-08-2015, 08:49 PM
Its a good point, but for some reason (possibly the excess of circulating coolant) my temperature gauge, with a sender located in the nearside carburettor inlet manifold, consistently reads no more than 73 degrees C, comfortably below the nominal operating temperature for the Alfa engine. I dare say the Scooby installations don't run as cool though!

CyCo
20-08-2015, 10:23 AM
No idea where the switch is, but the sensor is up near the radiator. And mine has the opposite problem, runs a little too cool!! Doesn't leave the warmup cycle all that often, so it's using more fuel and runs a little rich. (ea82t for those that don't know/remember).