PDA

View Full Version : hi all

karl
29-03-2016, 12:30 AM
just saying hello,new nova addict,bought one 3 weeks ago and on a steep learning curve

Scorpion
29-03-2016, 12:40 AM
Hi Karl. welcome. your in the right place mate. plenty of help about
. nice one on getting yourself a looka. is she road worthy or have you got work to do ?

karl
29-03-2016, 12:49 AM
shes a complete mess,,,been through a few owners over last ten yrs and every one done some butcher work but never got it onto the road,,it was on a 72 beetle chassis which was complete junk,,,it now sits on an mr2 chassis so its mid engined

Scorpion
29-03-2016, 01:07 AM
Don`t worry about the mess it`s in, just get stuck in and do it. there`s quite a few of us in the same boat as far as rebuilds go.

karl
29-03-2016, 01:14 AM
been flat out on it for 3 weeks,,,getting it onto the mr2 was fun,,,but its on and ive started the body work,,, think it has about 20 layers of paint so thats a pain,,,tho old cellulose paint just clogs the discs,,seems like it was orange originally,,is there any way to trace where the body came from or was made?

Scorpion
29-03-2016, 01:17 AM
MR2 chassis, i don`t think iv`e heard of one like that before... interesting. would be nice to have a look at that if you choose to post some pic`s of her.

Scorpion
29-03-2016, 01:26 AM
There should be some identification numbers under the bonnet ( front ) on the left hand side, looking at the front of the car. on the bulk head if you can call it that. i`m sure one of the member`s has a pic of where it should be, unless it has been cut out for mod`s of course.

karl
29-03-2016, 01:27 AM
ill post up some pics when i put them on my comp,,as far as i know its the only one,,lot of places said it couldnt be done,,,but i like a challenge,,lol oh and it can be done :)

ive found numbers stamped in it says automotive design 137

Scorpion
29-03-2016, 01:41 AM
the guy`s on here will explain what they mean Karl but don`t expect too much information from the numbers.

Alzax3
29-03-2016, 06:39 AM
Hi Carl - it means you have an early Automotive Designs Mark 1 shell, and that whoever was responsible for changing the dymo tape numbers on the mould had got their act together (mine is number 125, but I've met 2 others with that number!) There was a Nova for sale up North a year or three back that was sort of laid over a cut down MR2, the seller had got so far before giving up. Will yours need an IVA?

islandman
29-03-2016, 07:56 AM
Pictures sooner than later would be great, you can't wet our appetite to see an MR2 bodied Nova an then leave us hanging :tongue1:

Welcome aboard the forum and to what could be a life long passion, many members here have had their cars in excess of 10 years and in many cases like myself 20 years

Phill
29-03-2016, 10:41 AM
Hi Karl and welcome. Just exactly what will be involved in getting your car registered and road legal?

karl
29-03-2016, 11:36 AM
ill be using its original reg number,,its Ireland :)..and ill load some pics today,,and thanks for the help identifying the model

karl
29-03-2016, 11:57 AM

one mr2 plus one nova = mr nova :)

jim73vw
29-03-2016, 12:49 PM
Welcome along - looks an interesting hybrid

And is that an early canopy with the vents in it?

Canopy shutline looks very good compared to some

karl
29-03-2016, 12:56 PM
canopy has a built in sunroof(fiberglass) and 2 small vents at the back,,,as far as i know the whole body is an early one but the bonnet doesnt have vents?

Peter
29-03-2016, 03:10 PM
What wheels have you in mind, Low profile 18" or 60s on 15" ? obviously those look ridiculously small.

Buffy
29-03-2016, 05:52 PM
Hi Karl
Welcome aboard the forum. Nice to see another one getting the proper treatment it deserves.
Mine was similar, 11 owners in 20 yrs and I am certain no miles in that time.
Get the pictures flowing for yours will create a lot of interest.
Buffy

Mostin
29-03-2016, 07:25 PM
Hi Karl

Welcome to the forum. Good to see another Nova on its way back to the road.

While your on your journey it can seem like a never ending job but you'll get there.

As the others have said before there's plenty of help on here when you need it.

Have fun & enjoy.
Cheers
Mostin

karl
29-03-2016, 08:15 PM
hi peter ive 18s for it ,,im going to modify the bodywork slightly but im going to keep as much of the original lines as i can i want to make the arch's smaller as im not liking the ones it has
and thanks all for the welcome ,,ill be putting plenty of pics up so you can see the progress

steve
29-03-2016, 09:09 PM
Hi Karl, Welcome to the forum, good luck with your build.
There are at least 2 other Novas in Ireland, dmcdec has one,
plus this one below spotted at the classic car show in Dublin:

http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?6389-Irish-Classic-amp-Vintage-Motor-Show

karl
29-03-2016, 09:16 PM
yep theres a few of them about all right,,been a couple of project ones advertised on some of the small adds sites,,there was also one with some weird roof on it,,

Dirk
29-03-2016, 10:13 PM
Hi Karl, welcome to the forum. Interesting project looking forward to following this and seeing more pics.

Dirk

karl
29-03-2016, 10:24 PM
thanks dirk, im looking forward to getting it finished although i think its going to take a while ,,hope to have it on the road by the end of the summer

islandman
30-03-2016, 11:05 AM

one mr2 plus one nova = mr nova :)

Karl one thing I am struggling to visualise on this build is how the Nova body fitted over the MR2 front shock towers. The nova's tires typically have no more clearance approximately 3-5 inches from the underside of the front wings. In the photo of the cut up MR2 chassis those shock towers seem much much higher than that?

Did you cut the towers down and shorten them in some way ?

karl
30-03-2016, 06:55 PM
hi David,,front suspension turrets were cut out and new ones made ,,coilover front suspension was added

when i remove body again ill take pics to show how its done ;)

Spacenut
30-03-2016, 09:02 PM
Hi Karl, welcome to the forum. You've certainly gone in at the deep end with this one! I have read about how the MR2 has largely bolt-on external panels, interesting to see the unitary floorpan fully stripped, as it were. Looks very similar to early Lamborghini unitary chassis, the Urracco/Silhouette/Jalpa, prototype Countach and Espada all used this construction method.

The ADD sunroof canopy was only available from 1974 to to the end of ADD production in 1975. Do you have the vents in place? They are off a Mk1 Ford Granada saloon, so not the easiest things to find these days!

You probably have a later bonnet without nostrils due to clearance issues - the bonnet is heavily cambered, as you know.

Is the chassis from a Mk1 or Mk2? 1600cc? Toyota 4AGE engine with its Yamaha developed cylinder head is a masterpiece!

Lauren

karl
30-03-2016, 09:30 PM
hi lauren its an sw20 chassis with the 2.0 yamaha beams engine fitted
as ive said the mr2 is a very strong chassis with the center tunnel being the main chassis rail..even when the sills are removed it has a chassis rail inside the car on both sides,,once you cut off the roof and rear body panels all is revealed,inc the "box" that the engine and gearbox sit in ,,i love a challenge so when someone said it couldnt be done, sure i just had to give it a go :)

and the bonnet is definitely not its original as its red gelcoat and the rest is an orange colour

Peter
31-03-2016, 12:52 PM
hi lauren its an sw20 chassis with the 2.0 yamaha beams engine fitted
as ive said the mr2 is a very strong chassis with the center tunnel being the main chassis rail..even when the sills are removed it has a chassis rail inside the car on both sides,,once you cut off the roof and rear body panels all is revealed,inc the "box" that the engine and gearbox sit in ,,i love a challenge so when someone said it couldnt be done, sure i just had to give it a go :)

and the bonnet is definitely not its original as its red gelcoat and the rest is an orange colour

As JFK said;
"Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?"

CyCo
31-03-2016, 12:57 PM
Welcome Karl.

Can you clue us into something? Many of us felt that by stripping the MR2 down like you have done, the chassis would 'wilt' at either end without cross bracing. Doesn't look like you had any problems there.

Looking forward to your build. I love the MR2, prefer the Mk1. If you do a little digging, here in Oz, specifically Tasmania, there was a fairly large car chase with the cops chasing a MR2 and having troubles keeping up. Way back in the late 80's if I remember correctly. :wink:

karl
31-03-2016, 07:55 PM
hi cyco
the mr2 doesnt rely on outer structure instead its all inside the car ,,,it also has a cross brace built in the front ,the back is supported by the box that houses the engine/gearbox,,ive added some 2x4 box section as extra support

Gmacz
01-04-2016, 10:34 PM
Severe lack of pics in this thread.
Need front, back, left, right, above and below.
Not sure how it works in ireland but here a nova plate upfront with chassis number on it is all you need for an mot inspection.
Looks like a good project.
:welcome: