PDA

View Full Version : Fixing side windows

Buffy
12-02-2017, 09:06 PM
Getting close to doing this stage.
Now I was going to bond them in but I have a good friend that says I should screw them in place, just in case !!
Now I can understand the sentiment as I have no sunroof, so I am curious.
Has anyone screwed their side windows in before?
It's what they do with GT40's so would look OK with my car however the thickness of the canopy top edge is a little concerning.
Screw or stick, that is the question !

Buffy

Dirk
12-02-2017, 10:54 PM
Getting close to doing this stage.
Now I was going to bond them in but I have a good friend that says I should screw them in place, just in case !!
Now I can understand the sentiment as I have no sunroof, so I am curious.

Buffy

Just in case of what? if you have a crash/fire and cant open the roof are you going to sit there and unscrew 20 screws? even if you are just stuck on the drive and the roof wont open chances are without holding the outside part of the screw you wont be able to undo them any way! Should have fitted a sunroof when you had the chance :coat: Bond them in.

Dirk

islandman
13-02-2017, 01:58 AM
well you know my sentiments on the sunroof also :oops2:

So as Dirk says, bond them in then fit removable pins to the bottom of the rams so they can be pull out in an emergency. Or an emergency hydraulic fluid dump valve as another alternative

Buffy
13-02-2017, 08:02 AM
I like this forum, straight to the point, no fudging !

I was going down the bonding route , and as autoglass are turning up tomorrow to do the screen I thought I may see if they are up for a cash in hand job.....

We have gone over the sunroof before blah, blah, blah..........and have thought about release pins.

Bond it is......

islandman
13-02-2017, 11:44 AM
This is the type of thing I was thinking about

http://www.qrp-inc.com/products/id/1

You would need to weld a small collar to the bottom of the hinge plate to help keep it horizontal, but in an emergency it ought to do the job..... but thinking about it more you wouldn't be able to lift the canopy much as the hydraulic pipes would catch if you released the bottom attachment. So maybe you need to look at options for the top attachment instead (or a sunroof, after all the autoglass boys do those too:coat:)

islandman
13-02-2017, 11:47 AM
If the screen isn't a good fit, lift in the middle at the bottom, or at the top of one corner as mine was you may need to think about the fan heater method.... although this didn't exactly turn out well for me!

Jim managed to get his to fit without doing this using a slightly wider seal so you will probably be OK

Buffy
13-02-2017, 12:04 PM
Will fully read the above in a mo
Autoglass just phoned and cancelled again !!!!'

Dirk
13-02-2017, 10:32 PM
Will fully read the above in a mo
Autoglass just phoned and cancelled again !!!!'

Oh no how frustrating, do you think they have been reading you thread and drawing straws as to who is going to fit it :crylol:

Dirk

Buffy
13-02-2017, 10:52 PM
No 😂
However the girl that i have been dealing with was very apologetic so I may even get the trim for free !

Peter
14-02-2017, 12:15 PM
Before you even think about emergency egress via side windows has anyone even tried it from the seated position? I have and it is bloody impossible for anyone other than a midget contortionist. I can't even get my shoulders through. Yes SS and Npva side windows are the same size but slightly different shape.

Go for strut disconnect pins, it is by far the easiest. QD Clutch pins do a neat job.

MartinB
14-02-2017, 06:21 PM
when mine was on the road, there was a small lever to the right of the drivers seat that when pulled released the holding pressure and would allow the fluid to be 'manually pushed' back into the reservoir... I had to use it a couple of times, and from the drivers seat you went to stand up, and leaning forward position your back against the underside of the roof and push up, then you closed the lever again, and when you stopped pushing up, the roof would come down until the pressure built back enough to hold the roof about half way up. Then you could just about scrabble through the side. I'm not sure how the plumbing worked, but if you do not have a sunroof, then this is probably the easiest way out... and nothing gets damaged as a result.
Not sure how the release pins would work, as when the roof is down all the pins are covered by trim aren't they? (not with the car, so can't check!) - or have I miss-understood the pins?

Phill
14-02-2017, 07:56 PM
Before you even think about emergency egress via side windows has anyone even tried it from the seated position? I have and it is bloody impossible for anyone other than a midget contortionist. I can't even get my shoulders through. Yes SS and Npva side windows are the same size but slightly different shape.

Actually I have - my first Nova was hit sideways on and I was stuck inside the car when the roof hydraulics failed. Somehow I managed to get out through the side window which was acrylic bonded in as I had no sunroof. Don't know how I managed it (mind you I was a lot younger and thinner back then). Even so It turned out I had a fractured pelvis as a result of the accident making it even more incredible that I had managed to get out

Peter
14-02-2017, 08:09 PM
Actually I have - my first Nova was hit sideways on and I was stuck inside the car when the roof hydraulics failed. Somehow I managed to get out through the side window which was acrylic bonded in as I had no sunroof. Don't know how I managed it (mind you I was a lot younger and thinner back then). Even so It turned out I had a fractured pelvis as a result of the accident making it even more incredible that I had managed to get out
Amazing what we can do when the adrenaline flows. I'm 180cm and 105 kilos dripping wet. No chance, I have enough trouble getting in and out of the SS with the doors open. :mad:

Sent from my VFD 700 using Tapatalk

Spacenut
14-02-2017, 10:17 PM
I fully agree with the bonding route, especially if you have no sunroof option - although, as a cautionary tale, when Nova Nigel took his Nova for MoT the freshly bonded drivers window blew out on the A27. Nigel put it down to not keying the surface sufficiently before bonding (he used Tigerseal by the way, which would normally be ideal for the purpose). Also, his car did have a sunroof which was open at the time, so that may have built up a large pressure differential.

We have often discussed lynch pins for releasing the Nova canopy from the hydraulics, and I can confirm that it is possible to open the canopy, single-handed, from inside the car. Bl**dy heavy though! I continue to be amazed at the level of mis-information that circulates about the Countach doors, which even today many believe had lynch pins installed at the factory. In fact, only the second prototype had this feature. The hydraulic dump valve is another good idea, but due to the weight of the canopy I think I would want to team it with a pair of gas rams to offset the weight.

Johan
15-02-2017, 03:59 PM
Hi guys I have considered all these options to fit my side windows, as our body do not have a flat side for fitting glass windows on the side. We have used a u rubber with a four millimeter inside and glued it on the body in the place where the window is to be mounted. suddenly this sounds awkward. I have taken the window and fit the u rubber snuggely over the edge of the window. Then iI have glued the rubber onto the body. When there is an emergency or the temperature inside gets a bit hot I pop the windows out of the rubber and the window is open. When installing the window again is a matter of sliding the window into the rubber at the front and taking a spoon and run it indie the rubber to open up for the window to be mounted again. It works for me and it is watertight in thunderstorm rain and wind noise free.

Spacenut
15-02-2017, 07:08 PM
Now that sounds like an interesting idea. And I guess the casual observer wouldn't realise that the whole side glass can be easily levered out.

islandman
15-02-2017, 11:07 PM
as our body do not have a flat side for fitting glass windows on the side.

Actually a few have fitted glass on the sides (including myself, albeit I made a frame for mine), Jim was the most recent one to fit laminated glass on the sides.

Then iI have glued the rubber onto the body.

Is the rubber on the outside or inside? And does the glass pop out on the inside or outside of the car?

When installing the window again is a matter of sliding the window into the rubber at the front and taking a spoon and run it indie the rubber to open up for the window to be mounted again. It works for me and it is watertight in thunderstorm rain and wind noise free.

Does that mean anyone can theoretically get into your car?

jim73vw
16-02-2017, 02:52 PM
Actually a few have fitted glass on the sides (including myself, albeit I made a frame for mine), Jim was the most recent one to fit laminated glass on the sides.

Mine was toughened, not laminated - laminated would be too thick for the recess present.

Mine is indeed flat glass, bonded in by the same windscreen company that did David's and my windscreens. They used a similar style of rubber too to give a professional finish - you may just make it out in the picture below

Buffy
16-02-2017, 09:10 PM
Mine was toughened, not laminated - laminated would be too thick for the recess present.

Mine is indeed flat glass, bonded in by the same windscreen company that did David's and my windscreens. They used a similar style of rubber too to give a professional finish - you may just make it out in the picture below

It hard to tell but is the rubber slightly raised ?
I will go for bonding but I may also do the screw effect. After all it would suit what I am doing !
We shall see.....

Spacenut
16-02-2017, 09:38 PM
I had 4mm toughened glass in my side windows, but due to the aperture not being completely flat, the glass stood proud at the front and lower rear corner. Richard Oakes told me that the canopy inner and outer moulds both had a slight bow (concave IIRC) in them so that as the two halves cured they would pull the A-pillars straight. However, the two halves never pulled evenly so the result was always considered too ripply to fit glass. Also, the recess in the moulding isn't really deep enough for anything more than 4mm thick. I still like Johan's idea though, even if security is poor. I have been thinking along similar lines (being able to remove the side glass completely for summer motoring), only difference being I was considering a bonded sandwich of stainless steel and plastic with a few strategically-placed bolts though the window flange...

Dirk
16-02-2017, 10:57 PM
Does that mean anyone can theoretically get into your car?

This is no different to lots of cars from the same era that had fixed side windows it was a standard method of fixing glass in the 70,s 80,s I think the Nova was ahead of its time having the bonded windscreen most production cars at that time still had rubber seals to hold the windscreen. I think the first car I had anything to do with with a bonded screen was a citroen BX in the mid 80,s

Dirk

Peter
19-02-2017, 11:41 AM
My '87 BMW E30 has rubber and locking strip, in fact I'm looking to replace the chrome strip.

Sent from my VFD 700 using Tapatalk