PDA

View Full Version : Mot

Buffy
07-04-2017, 03:39 PM
Having interesting and frustrating chat with mot nan whilst he is doing my freelancer.
Spoke about my nova and chassis number. They have to physically see a number so he is saying, make a plate that is stamped and put it in a visible location. So I replied, what is then stopping anyone from buying a log book and then using that chassis number on any car !!!!
Couldn't answer.
Than asked about windscreen or lack of. If car has no screen then take off wiper blade and disconnect washers !!!
Bizarre !

wizrod
07-04-2017, 04:13 PM
Having interesting and frustrating chat with mot nan whilst he is doing my freelancer.
Spoke about my nova and chassis number. They have to physically see a number so he is saying, make a plate that is stamped and put it in a visible location. So I replied, what is then stopping anyone from buying a log book and then using that chassis number on any car !!!!
Couldn't answer.
Than asked about windscreen or lack of. If car has no screen then take off wiper blade and disconnect washers !!!
Bizarre !

the official test states:

Method of inspection:
Check that the vehicle is permanently displaying a legible Vehicle Identification Number.
This can be either:

on a VIN plate secured to the vehicle, or
stamped or etched on the vehicle body or chassis.

Reasons for failure:

A Vehicle Identification Number nor permanently displayed, incomplete or not legible
more than one different Vehicle Identification Number displayed

...So I guess a plate is OK, as long as it is glued or riveted in place (screws/bolts could imply non-permanent)
Also, 'incomplete' implies that they must check the VIN against the V5, to ensure the whole number is there...?

There seems to be nothing to proscribe a stamped number AND a VIN plate, as long the numbers on each match (and with the V5).

Re: the wipers etc. the test cases around them do not apply to vehicles with 'opening' windscreens. If the screen is missing, is is clearly opening!

I think the general rule is:
anything that is optional & present is tested and may cause a failure.
anything that is optional & NOT present can't be tested, so can't cause a failure.

anything that is mandatory & present is tested and may cause a failure.
anything that is mandatory & NOT present will automatically cause a failure.

In addition, anything the tester can't see/or poke, they can't test, and therefore can't trigger a failure...

P.

Dirk
07-04-2017, 10:14 PM
I can remember taking my old Nova for its MOT in 2010 which I think was around the time they started looking for Chassis numbers the MOT man asked where it was, I was taken a bit surprised as I hadn't been asked this before and had had several MOT's at this garage. knowing the chassis number wasn't quite right I played dumb and said I had never seen one on the car. He said he could not MOT it without one. I knew the garage reasonably well and the boss had heard what was going on, so he came up with the solution to stamp the number that was on the log book onto a bit of metal they found they put it into the bonnet space and told me to rivet it in when I got home. It passed its MOT I didn't use their temp chassis plate, but the following year I preempted the situation and bought a nice chassis plate and stamped it my self with make and chassis number. When I took it for its MOT in 2011 the same guy had been looking around the car for about 15 mins when I asked him is there something wrong he said he was looking for the chassis number, I told him it was on the plate under the bonnet but he said that was no longer good enough! I still played dumb and he never found it and I did get it passed. I guess a lot of it is down to the MOT man at the time.

Dirk

islandman
08-04-2017, 12:00 AM
I have had several MOT guys ask me that at different stages, I explained that its a beetle chassis and pointed to the centre console that is bolted down said the number is under that console which I would need to dismantle to show him. At that point they shrug their shoulders not wanting to sit around for half an hour my I pull my car apart, then they get on an MOT it as normal. Subsequently I have fitted one of Micks plates under the bonnet also.

Buffy
08-04-2017, 05:33 AM
I thought this could be an issue so I took a video of the car pre interior installation showing clearly the chassis number and the location. I showed them this. Not good enough! They would not even start to look at the car.

So I have ordered a vin plate and will get it stamped and find a suitable location to install.

I did phone a guy who makes custom vin plates ( details found from the internet ).
He could make ones with the nova logo for £140 a pair!!!!!!!
I'll stick to £16 from eBay ...

Buffy

Alzax3
08-04-2017, 07:23 AM
I've been having my Nova MOTd at the same place for 11 years - the VW chassis number is there and intact but is covered by a storage box. There is a home-made plate under the bonnet, and has been for at least 10 years but they have never looked at it or asked about chassis numbers (whilst doing thorough tests) I guess some garages are more fussy than others. Mine is fussy about slightly delaminated number-plates - I've had to replace about 4 on daily drivers over the years...

Mostin
08-04-2017, 02:20 PM
Mine has a club Nova vin plate supplied by Mick.:thumbup:

I've stamped it up & its under the bonnet. All my numbers match up but the MOT chap was happy with just the vin plate.

Mostin.

Buffy
08-04-2017, 04:32 PM

I've stamped it up & its under the bonnet. All my numbers match up but the MOT chap was happy with just the vin plate.

Mostin.

Do we have a picture of one? Mick, do you still had some ?

BlueNova
08-04-2017, 05:34 PM

Mostin.

I'd definitely be interested in buying one if Mick's got any left.
Alistair

wizrod
08-04-2017, 05:58 PM
+1 from me for a VIN plate.

Hopefully there's enough interest to justify a new production run 😀

P.

Gmacz
08-04-2017, 06:11 PM
http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq107/gmacz/2014-05-31-13-28-39.png

Buffy
08-04-2017, 06:20 PM
Oh yes please !!!!!

steve
08-04-2017, 07:38 PM
Pretty sure the PPC Nova doesn't have a name plate of any sort;
I would certainly be interested in a Nova VIN Tag :cool1:

MicksRedNova
08-04-2017, 07:49 PM
Do we have a picture of one? Mick, do you still had some ?
Ray had the last one of the original batch I had made. I'll dig out the paperwork for the company I used last time and see what size order they can do. They still have the graphics so should be a quick turn round.

I'll need one myself for MRN2 :whistling: ..... One day.

Mick

Dirk
08-04-2017, 09:39 PM
If your doing a run put me down for one.

thanks

dirk

madscientist
08-04-2017, 10:33 PM
Hi Mick- put me down for two of those if possible!

Cheers,

Colin

islandman
09-04-2017, 12:05 AM
Mick I had a couple of the original batch, if you are making a new batch I would be interested but with one modification. I found that I couldn't fit my engine number on the plate in the space provided. My engine number is 15 digits long. Is it possible to change the layout to accommodate?

MicksRedNova
09-04-2017, 09:16 AM
Mick I had a couple of the original batch, if you are making a new batch I would be interested but with one modification. I found that I couldn't fit my engine number on the plate in the space provided. My engine number is 15 digits long. Is it possible to change the layout to accommodate?

David

I'll see what the supplier says. Normally, they want to charge the 'set-up' fee again if the graphics change.

For those that haven't seen the original post with the plate design, the forum page is here: http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?3176-VIN-Plates&highlight=plates

Mick

Buffy
09-04-2017, 09:29 AM
Has anyone got dimension sizes?
I just want to know as will prob need to fit a temporary one for hopeful mot before Mick knows anymore about these.

islandman
09-04-2017, 01:33 PM
o
David

I'll see what the supplier says. Normally, they want to charge the 'set-up' fee again if the graphics change.

For those that haven't seen the original post with the plate design, the forum page is here: http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?3176-VIN-Plates&highlight=plates

Mick

OMG I just looked at the dates on the original forum posts.....10 years ago,that is scary as I rememeber it like it was yesterday

bobbybrown
09-04-2017, 05:59 PM
o

OMG I just looked at the dates on the original forum posts.....10 years ago,that is scary as I rememeber it like it was yesterday
Time flies, it doesn't feel like 10 years since that thread :coat:

MartinB
10-04-2017, 01:32 PM
I'd be interested in a couple too... Particularly as mine on the chassis seems almost impossible to read! I have not dared try to 'clean up' that area, in case it obliterates it completely! `¬)

Buffy
11-04-2017, 09:02 PM
So
Quick question to clarify what others have done with their vin plates.
Glue or rivet ?

Dirk
11-04-2017, 10:11 PM
mine was riveted.

Dirk

islandman
12-04-2017, 12:08 AM
It has to looked permanent and fixed, so yes riveted. That's what I did with mine also

dango
12-04-2017, 06:54 AM
mine was riveted, over the original VW Chassis number

JONESY25
14-05-2017, 08:40 PM
Hi Guys, with my MoT fast approaching next month I discovered some articles about the new EU mot directive supposed to be coming into force May 2017. It is that classic registered cars present 1977 will also be MoT exempt? Bringing in the mot to be rolling along with the historic tax exempt. Does anybody know if this is happening?

BlueNova
14-05-2017, 10:11 PM
Hi Guys, with my MoT fast approaching next month I discovered some articles about the new EU mot directive supposed to be coming into force May 2017. It is that classic registered cars present 1977 will also be MoT exempt? Bringing in the mot to be rolling along with the historic tax exempt. Does anybody know if this is happening?

Really? I'd be interested to read these articles. Mind you, my Nova won't be ready for an MoT for a while yet and if I stick with my VW chassis (rather than going for a new one and the IVA route) Brexit will no doubt get in the way! ;)
Alistair

islandman
14-05-2017, 11:46 PM

For as nice as it sounds to hear that I would still rather have the MOT for the big stuff (Steering, Brakes, suspension etc..) as often we try to turn a blind eye (or just don't check) on items that could ultimately impact our safety. For example on my last MOT the guy noted movement in my steering rack that was a real PITA to sort out, but its now safer and also rides better after the fix.

Its the petty stuff I take exception at, like failing you cause there is no water in your windscreen washer bottle....:@

JONESY25
15-05-2017, 10:16 AM
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/mercury.postlight.com/amp%3furl=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.motoringresearch .com%252Fcar-news%252Ffeatures%252Fclassics-will-tax-free-mot-free#ampshare=https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-news/features/classics-will-tax-free-mot-free

We may not be exempt at there is a 'substantial change' clause. Will have to find out as it is due to roll out this month.

Peter
15-05-2017, 10:21 AM
In our ITV test the first thing when entering the testing channel is 'open bonnet' and they check VIN, perplexed if it's not under the bonnet, as in the case of my Rover 216 where it was at the front of the boot opening. I have made it clear to see on the VW tunnel (must NOT "enhance" the number) but it will need the right panel behind the seats removing to see it so I have a photo as well as a VIN plate under the bonnet. I will bet that will not be enough.

jim73vw
15-05-2017, 10:58 AM

Well I never knew Eagle were in Grafton Road Worthing! That's round the corner from my parents house!

Alzax3
15-05-2017, 12:22 PM
I went there when they were running - long time ago now!

JONESY25
16-09-2017, 04:22 PM
Well looks its official next year cars built before 1978 will be exempt from mot testing. http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/chevrolet/5736/40-year-rolling-classic-car-mot-exemption-announced

wizrod
16-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Well looks its official next year cars built before 1978 will be exempt from mot testing. http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/chevrolet/5736/40-year-rolling-classic-car-mot-exemption-announced

Probably won't apply to many Nova's. All Q plates will still need MOTs

This will only be for practically stock cars. There will be a points bases system (based on the old points to retain the donorplate), so the gear stick relocation on bug-based Novas probably ruin things. Also any vehicle with a power-to-weight ratio more than 15% greater that original won't qualify.

That said, I think these limitations only apply if the changes were made after 1988... ?

No word yet we to how any of this can be proved...

P.

JONESY25
17-09-2017, 08:12 AM
Mine on its original plate and registered as historic so road tax currently free. Will have to wait and see. It's only £40 for mot so if I still need one no bother, if I don't then £40 for road safety health check each year.

islandman
17-09-2017, 11:54 PM
Even if mine does qualify I will certainly be taking it for annual inspections regardless, for such an old car that sits for long periods I certainly want to know the safety issues before I find out the hard way :scared:

PaddyX21
18-09-2017, 07:52 AM
Even if mine does qualify I will certainly be taking it for annual inspections regardless, for such an old car that sits for long periods I certainly want to know the safety issues before I find out the hard way :scared:

^This!

I think it's a terrible idea personally. I don't agree with the existing MOT exemption for pre-1960, but allowing people to self certify that their 40yo car meets the exemption criteria is just asking for wide scale abuse. And then we all end up tar'd as dangerous and the way is paved to start restricting use of historic vehicles :(

I'll be MOT'ing, and wouldn't qualify as exempt anyway with the Scooby engine lol, but the wording does make me question if I'll be able to keep my historic tax class once I admit to needing an MOT...

Gaisa
18-09-2017, 04:20 PM
Why would they need to know; if you're MOTing it for your personal peace of mind, how can they complain if it assures the safety of others?
Besides, I'm with the others here; as far as I'm concerned ALL cars should have some kind of road safety check and an MOT fits that bill.

BlueNova
18-09-2017, 05:00 PM
Have to agree that it's a retrograde step. I wonder if classic car organisations are speaking out against the change? Hope insurance premiums don't start to increase as a result of being MOT exempt? I'll certainly be taking mine for an annual check.

Alzax3
18-09-2017, 05:45 PM
I'd rather see them apply slightly less rigor with the IVA and carry on with the MOT as it stands - the tax-exempt level MOT is less stringent than that for modern cars, but it picks up on the danger points that one can be blissfully un-aware of.....

Phill
18-09-2017, 08:02 PM
This is going to be a grey area for some vehicles as the date of registration is not necessarily the date of manufacture. My cars V5C has a date of registration of 1985 but in the special notes section it states that the car was rebuilt - assembled from parts some or all of which were not new. It was assigned an F reg (67 model year) and I have in my possession a letter from volkswagen confirming that the car with my chassis number was originally manufactured on the 12 November 1967 so I can prove that some parts of my car date back to 1967. Does this mean my car will be exempt from requiring an MOT next year?

JONESY25
18-09-2017, 09:10 PM
This is going to be a grey area for some vehicles as the date of registration is not necessarily the date of manufacture. My cars V5C has a date of registration of 1985 but in the special notes section it states that the car was rebuilt - assembled from parts some or all of which were not new. It was assigned an F reg (67 model year) and I have in my possession a letter from volkswagen confirming that the car with my chassis number was originally manufactured on the 12 November 1967 so I can prove that some parts of my car date back to 1967. Does this mean my car will be exempt from requiring an MOT next year?

Your car will certainly be free road tax of November this year. It will all depend on the alterations section. I can't see how a car can be free to tax but require a mot. They have realised a draft on the eligibility of it

Buffy
13-05-2018, 06:44 PM
My mot ran out this weekend.
So, next week it will be illegal to drive it, but not the following week!
Doesn’t seem right .......

islandman
13-05-2018, 07:17 PM

The government site seems to imply you still do. “1 January 1960 to 31 December 1977”

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles

islandman
13-05-2018, 07:19 PM

anyway no worries as the “princess” is only driven onto trailers or private show grounds :blushing:

Buffy
13-05-2018, 07:37 PM
So the mot rule changes from 20th may !

islandman
13-05-2018, 07:45 PM
ah that's handy as I didn't MOT my blue Nova this trip as its not due until June, at least I don't need to book an appointment in advance just to drive it back from the garage (in case your buddies stop me) but can chose to do it at a leisurely pace that suits me when I'm back :bananasplit: as ultimately I want to know if its safe

islandman
13-05-2018, 08:02 PM
I know it was speculated that the DLVA keep a file on our cars very different from what we see, and here is proof its true.

When I check the road tax its Make is NOVA https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

https://vgy.me/WDWugm.jpg

But look what it says when I use the MOT check site https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

https://vgy.me/ilEsCa.jpg

I’m back to being a VOLKSWAGEN :scared:

Gaisa
13-05-2018, 08:10 PM
Thanks for posting that MOT reminder page, I just used it to set a reminder up for my van!
:clapping::yeah: (javascript://)

BlueNova
13-05-2018, 08:19 PM
When I check the road tax its Make is NOVA https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

But look what it says when I use the MOT check site [URL]https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history[/URL

I’m back to being a VOLKSWAGEN :scared:

...... and a GREEN one at that!! Classic case of the right hand doesn't know what the left's doing!

Buffy
13-05-2018, 08:29 PM
Checked mine and it says “ Nova Sports 1972”. Will see what it says after 20th May ref mot ......

BlueNova
13-05-2018, 08:36 PM
Thanks for posting that MOT reminder page, I just used it to set a reminder up for my van!
:clapping::yeah: (javascript://)

I forgot you have a van Gaisa. My van's MOT is due on 2 June but the dreaded 'anti diesel' changes come in on 20 May. My Berlingo's a 2009. I bought it with 30k on the clock 6 years ago and now it's got 102k. I spent £420 getting a new timing belt and water pump at the end of last year because I want to keep it going for a few years yet. Anyway, rather than just put it in and see what they fail it on I decided to check everything and all I could find was the front discs and pads. I fitted new ones on Fri and put the van in for an MOT yesterday ... it passed with no advisories!! Well chuffed! :drive:

Dirk
13-05-2018, 09:20 PM
ah that's handy as I didn't MOT my blue Nova this trip as its not due until June, at least I don't need to book an appointment in advance just to drive it back from the garage (in case your buddies stop me) but can chose to do it at a leisurely pace that suits me when I'm back :bananasplit: as ultimately I want to know if its safeI thought you could only drive it without an mot if you declared it as mot exempt? And then you would not take it for an mot just a health check?

Dirk

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

BlueNova
13-05-2018, 10:13 PM
I thought you could only drive it without an mot if you declared it as mot exempt? And then you would not take it for an mot just a health check?

Dirk

You're right Dirk. You'd also have to tax your car in the historic vehicle tax class first. Another thing to remember is that if a vehicle over 40 years old has been substantially changed within the previous 30 years it will still need an annual MoT. The criteria for 'substantial change' include alteration of the 'type and or method of suspension or steering' but if these were 'made to improve efficiency, safety or environmental performance' then they're no longer considered a substantial change.

The substantial change guidance states that 'if a vehicle has been issued with a registration number with a ‘Q’ prefix it will be considered to have been substantially changed and will not be exempt from MOT testing'.

Best if folks check the DVLA's Overview of MOT changes from May 2018 at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-changes-from-may-2018-guidance-for-mot-testers/overview-of-mot-changes-from-may-2018

That web page also includes a link to the Vehicles of Historical Interest (VHI): Substantial Change Guidance which you can find at https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/670431/vehicles-of-historical-interest-substantial-change-guidance.pdf

I hope things are a bit clearer by the time my Nova's ready for the road!!

MartinB
14-05-2018, 06:33 AM
So if the original registration was over 40 years ago for the VW, it can be tax exempt. If it was converted to a Nova over 30 years ago, it is not consideredd a substantial change and no longer has to be mot'd.
Is that correct?

Having an mot every year would make sense in any case, but what happens if it fails, if it doesn't actually need one? (hypothetically)

Alzax3
14-05-2018, 07:00 AM
I think they are quite likely to revise their changes a bit when they realise just what a mess they've created - but I could be being over-optimistic......:coat:

BlueNova
14-05-2018, 07:24 AM
So if the original registration was over 40 years ago for the VW, it can be tax exempt. If it was converted to a Nova over 30 years ago, it is not consideredd a substantial change and no longer has to be mot'd.
Is that correct?

Having an mot every year would make sense in any case, but what happens if it fails, if it doesn't actually need one? (hypothetically)

That's how I read the 40/30 issue Martin. On the sense of having an MOT every year I agree. If it fails I would treat it as I do now ... ie get it fixed and resubmit it.

The DVLA state that it will be the owner's responsibility to keep the vehicle in a roadworthy condition and having an MOT would be solid evidence in the event of an insurance claim. Having an engineer's report might be a satisfactory alternative, but I intend to take advice on this nearer the time.

Alistair

MartinB
14-05-2018, 12:15 PM
Thank you for clarifying, although I suspect by the time mine is back on the road it will have all changed again! :coat:

islandman
14-05-2018, 01:44 PM
...... and a GREEN one at that!! Classic case of the right hand doesn't know what the left's doing!

I actually hadn't spotted it was still Green in those results, clearly they are using an old version of the database

islandman
14-05-2018, 01:48 PM
I thought you could only drive it without an mot if you declared it as mot exempt? And then you would not take it for an mot just a health check?

Dirk

Yes I think so, I will be asking for the health check

Gaisa
14-05-2018, 06:42 PM
I forgot you have a van Gaisa. My van's MOT is due on 2 June but the dreaded 'anti diesel' changes come in on 20 May. My Berlingo's a 2009. I bought it with 30k on the clock 6 years ago and now it's got 102k. I spent £420 getting a new timing belt and water pump at the end of last year because I want to keep it going for a few years yet. Anyway, rather than just put it in and see what they fail it on I decided to check everything and all I could find was the front discs and pads. I fitted new ones on Fri and put the van in for an MOT yesterday ... it passed with no advisories!! Well chuffed! :drive:

Heh, mine's a 2011 pug partner and since citroen and peugeot share van designs, mine's the newer model, only real difference is the front grille.
Mine started with 42k miles when I bought it and was discounted to £3600 due to someone breaking in and causing significant damage, since it was cheaper for me to fix it, I bought it with the damage, repaired it and reinforced the doors for additional security. She's been going good ever since :D
As for the changes in regulations... I await those with a "baited breath"

(Sorry about the hijack!)

BlueNova
14-05-2018, 09:14 PM
Heh, mine's a 2011 pug partner and since citroen and peugeot share van designs, mine's the newer model, only real difference is the front grille.
Mine started with 42k miles when I bought it and was discounted to £3600 due to someone breaking in and causing significant damage, since it was cheaper for me to fix it, I bought it with the damage, repaired it and reinforced the doors for additional security. She's been going good ever since :D
As for the changes in regulations... I await those with a "baited breath"

(Sorry about the hijack!)

At the risk of taking the hijack too far, here's my wee baby ...
However, on this forum we need to focus on our 'wee princesses' so here's mine in her hey day. Work is finally progressing well on the chassis, so hopefully I'll be looking at road tax and MOT issues in greater detail before too long (ie in a couple of years!)
Cheers, Alistair

Spacenut
14-05-2018, 09:29 PM
Yes I think so, I will be asking for the health check

I'm not sure that any of our cars will qualify for MoT exemption - first you have to register your car as a Vehicle of Historic Interest, which will only be successful if your vehicle has not been modified in the previous 30 years. Unacceptable mods include chassis and/or monocoque (floorpan drops?), steering and suspension (coilovers, Red 9 front end, rack and pinion), engine change to another make (Alfa boxer, Scooby Doo) etc. The list goes on.

Quite apart from any of the above, the rules appear to state that any kit build car that introduces a radical change of shape (e.g. 4-door saloon to 2-seat sports coupe) will also not be able to claim exemption.

I fear the dice is loaded against us, and while there are exemption clauses that could be exploited I think it is far more likely that the annual MoT test will remain compulsory for Novas... :(

BlueNova
14-05-2018, 09:58 PM
I'm not sure that any of our cars will qualify for MoT exemption - first you have to register your car as a Vehicle of Historic Interest, which will only be successful if your vehicle has not been modified in the previous 30 years. Unacceptable mods include chassis and/or monocoque (floorpan drops?), steering and suspension (coilovers, Red 9 front end, rack and pinion), engine change to another make (Alfa boxer, Scooby Doo) etc. The list goes on.

Quite apart from any of the above, the rules appear to state that any kit build car that introduces a radical change of shape (e.g. 4-door saloon to 2-seat sports coupe) will also not be able to claim exemption.

I fear the dice is loaded against us, and while there are exemption clauses that could be exploited I think it is far more likely that the annual MoT test will remain compulsory for Novas... :(

Hi Lauren,

Suspension changes are considered exempt if they were 'made to improve efficiency, safety or environmental performance' so coilovers, Red 9 front end, rack and pinion could easily be argued that they are. As for changes to engines, or kits built after 1988, .... well ... ??

The floor pan drop is an interesting one for me. I have evidence that my Nova had drops (photos and the actual floor pans) but since I'm fitting new floor pans I'm tempted to see if I can find seats which don't need drops ust to avoid any risk of being considered a substantial change. I'm only 5' 5" by the way! ... ;)

Isn't the radical change of shape (eg 4 door to 2 seat sports coupe) only an issue if it happened within the last 30 years? Most of us have Novas which were originally built more than 30 years ago, but my own case is interesting in that the date of registration is 1970 but the date of manufacture is 1988 (when I simply recorded a change of colour!!!)

To be honest, I wish they'd never introduced all these changes. I'd prefer to pay my road tax (hopefully at a reduced level to reflect the reduced mileage of a typical kit car compared with conventional vehicles) and subject my Nova to an annual (age related) MOT. It would avoid all this confusion.

Anyway, for me at least, it's back to the welding, etc!

Looking forward to seeing the Green Machine one day!

Alistair

MartinB
15-05-2018, 06:21 AM
That's how I see it; If the 'radical change' was more than thirty years ago, its exempt. Just because it is still in that 'radical state' is proof that it hasn't changed during the last thirty years provided it can be shown the Nova was pre-thirty years ago?
Obviously a problem for those built more recently if the doner has been changed during the last thirty years into a Nova....

Spacenut
15-05-2018, 09:27 PM
While I agree these are all valid arguments, I still think there will be a problem proving them to the satisfaction of the authorities. In much the same way as a Q plate was slapped on an import (back in the day...) rather than simply decode the chassis number to get the year of manufacture.

How do you prove that any modifications are over 30 years old? Without an in-period inspection report I don't think it is possible. Build records, chassis plates, dated photographs can all be faked. Rather than give you the benefit of the doubt, your VHI application will simply be rejected in favour of a 1978 MGB roadster with a fully documented restoration file... :(

I think we have to face facts, this legislation was not written with kit cars in mind, in fact that they appear to be explicitly excluded from the outset.

Lauren

MartinB
16-05-2018, 03:22 PM
So a receipt from Nova cars, along with insurance documentation (from a company still going) and previous mots / tax forms from over thirty years ago won't count?

I understand the scepticism, but if DVLA's own documentation says it was re-registered as 'vw sports' or 'vw nova' over thirty years ago, I'm not sure how they can doubt when it changed...

I'm still happy to tax and MOT as usual, but it would be nice to be classed as exempt to their new rules.

The thirty year rule for not requiring an MOT is probably a moot point, as I don't think anyone would not actually get an annual MOT even if it did not officially have to!

I also wonder why there should be a problem if its registered as being older than forty years (on its original plate) it should be tax exempt? (or am I misunderstanding the tax exempt part?)