PDA

View Full Version : Castle Coombe 22 July 2017

bushboy
04-05-2017, 10:35 PM
Saturday 22nd JULY 2017,
Stick it in your Diary

A one day event that Club Nova will be making an appearance at. I will be registering the Clubs Interest in attending & once booked up we will be given 10 car & Driver passes. I need to do this by the end of next week so I would very much like to get some commitment from those that wish to attend.

At present the list looks like this

Micksrednova MKII (On a trailer but a promise that it will run under its own power!)
Ray (Red Nova)
Gary (Scorpion Blue Whale Tail Nova)
Ben (Support Vehicle)
Mikes Purple Passion (Green DAKAR)
Bushboy (RUFF & READY Eureka)
Phil (Austin Healy clone)

When I have the vehicle passes I will forward them on to those who have requested one.

Bushboy

wizrod
05-05-2017, 08:27 AM
Buggr...having started to look forward to this (not been to Castle Coombe in ages)...I've just spotted that I will be away that weekend at a music festival that weekend...

islandman
05-05-2017, 08:35 AM
I may be making a trip, I just don't know when but I want to try and coincide it a show. So can't commit right now but will let you know nearer the time if I plan to gate crash. Maybe we can do a convoy from Essex (well at least two of us anyway)

Scorpion
05-05-2017, 10:52 AM
Buggr...having started to look forward to this (not been to Castle Coombe in ages)...I've just spotted that I will be away that weekend at a music festival that weekend...

Never mind Paul, there are a couple more you may be able to attend.

Buffy
05-05-2017, 01:38 PM
Have checked, not working, so now this is my target date for getting my car to a show......

Scorpion
05-05-2017, 02:21 PM
Have checked, not working, so now this is my target date for getting my car to a show......

Great news Mark. hope to see you there.

Dirk
05-05-2017, 10:02 PM
Saturday 22nd JULY 2017,
Stick it in your Diary

A one day event that Club Nova will be making an appearance at. I will be registering the Clubs Interest in attending & once booked up we will be given 10 car & Driver passes. I need to do this by the end of next week so I would very much like to get some commitment from those that wish to attend.

Micksrednova MKII (On a trailer but a promise that it will run under its own power!)
Ray (Red Nova)
Ben (Support Vehicle)

When I have the vehicle passes I will forward them on to those who have requested one.

Bushboy

Is it just 10 club cars that can come? or can more come if they pay? If my car is on the road I will come but don't want to put my name on a free ticket in case its not on the road.

Dirk

bushboy
06-05-2017, 07:19 AM
Dirk,

I'll ask for the full compliment of free tickets as our first fag packet count up suggested 6 to 8 cars attending. More can come but there is then a small entry fee. Can't recall what it was but I'll look it up later. I have some sanding to do!!!!!!

Convoy from Essex, collecting in East Sussex Buffy, and we are there.

Bushboy

Dirk
06-05-2017, 09:52 PM
Thanks Martin, I've not got an issue with paying I just can not commit at the moment if the car will be on the road, my May bank holiday dead line obviously came and went so fingers crossed.

Dirk

islandman
08-05-2017, 03:05 AM
Convoy from Essex, collecting in East Sussex Buffy, and we are there.

Bushboy

A 3 car convey sounds good, I'm in the process of negotiating with missus so should be able to confirm in the coming weeks

jim73vw
08-05-2017, 01:16 PM
Saturday 22nd JULY 2017,
Stick it in your Diary

Ray (Red Nova)
Ben (Support Vehicle)

Bushboy

Sorry Martin - can't always get on the forums during the week, so hadn't seen this one.

Sarah and I did check the diary after discussions at Stones - count us in too please - Sarah & Martha will have to come in the daily, but I will bring the Nova.

jim73vw
08-05-2017, 01:17 PM
A 3 car convey sounds good, I'm in the process of negotiating with missus so should be able to confirm in the coming weeks

And then West Sussex!?

4 Nova's in Southwick tunnel would be fun!

islandman
08-05-2017, 02:12 PM
And then West Sussex!?

4 Nova's in Southwick tunnel would be fun!

And four water cooled ones too,a good selection of engine notes, will have to check the AA route planner

bushboy
08-05-2017, 07:25 PM
Ok Folks,

I have ordered the "Free" option for the club to attend Castle Coombe on 22nd July and obtained 10 free Club passes. They get the Driver & their car in for free. Passengers coat more but you can book in advance under the club code & get them cheaper. You can also book track time if you so desire. THe list for the 10 free passes is not yet complete so first in best dressed.

MicksredNova
Scorpion
Ray
Jim
Martin
Islandman (reserved but to be confirmed)
Dirk (reserved but to be confirmed)

TO add you name or to obtain the club discount code PM me. Additional cars can come but they will be required to pay the entry fee.

Cheers

Bushboy

PaddyX21
09-05-2017, 12:11 PM
I will begin the negotiation process with Mrs Paddy this evening, and there would be a reasonable chance of being able to Nova to it too!

bushboy
09-05-2017, 08:59 PM
Come on Paddy, its just a day trip.

THE TOP 10 list now reads

MicksredNova (will he drive it through the gate?)
Scorpion
Ray
Jim
Bushboy
Islandman (reserved but to be confirmed and getting more confirmed as time goes on)
Buffy (You WILL pass your MOT)
PADDY (Pull your finger out mate buy her some flowers!!)

If you want the club code to purchase extra tickets please PM me and I'll send it to you. I have been instructed NOT to post it in a public forum.

Bushboy

islandman
10-05-2017, 01:18 AM
Negotiations complete! and its a YES :bananasplit:

I will be in the UK long enough before the show to get the Nova MOT'd and maybe even fit the new dashboard (if it fits!). So its all looking good at this stage....... and I will bring the GoPro for the video with a suction cap to stick on the support vehicle so no need to stress Martha

Buffy
10-05-2017, 07:23 AM
Nice one mate, and I bet you have already booked the tickets !!

islandman
10-05-2017, 09:17 AM
Nice one mate, and I bet you have already booked the tickets !!

Lol Oh yes, 2 hours ago :whistling:

bushboy
10-05-2017, 12:13 PM

Scorpion
Ray
Jim
Bushboy
Islandman (confirmed)

If you want the club code to purchase extra tickets please PM me and I'll send it to you. I have been instructed NOT to post it in a public forum.

Bushboy

Red_Vodka
10-05-2017, 02:36 PM
I've booked the day off work, should be interesting to come and see.

bushboy
10-05-2017, 08:18 PM
You are in the right neck of the woods to may be catch the possible 5 Nova south east convoy.

Bushboy

Dirk
10-07-2017, 10:32 PM
Having not been to this event what is the format? Is it like Stones with 2 to entrances? and what about support cars can they come in with our cars or do they need to park somewhere else. Having a go on the track does this need booking in advance or can it be done on the day, are we going to have a convoy on the track (would look good).

Dirk

MicksRedNova
11-07-2017, 06:35 PM

Scorpion
Ray
Jim
Bushboy
Islandman (confirmed)

Bushboy

Cross me off the list. I can't make it this year. The MG Nova build hasn't progressed much over the last month due to other DIY jobs so not driveable like I hoped it would be.

Mick

steve
11-07-2017, 09:48 PM
Hi Bushboy,
I plan on attending CC (in my daily driver) but know nothing about this event.

Do the passes give free or discounted entry? If so can I have one please?

Saturday 22nd JULY 2017,
Stick it in your Diary

Ray (Red Nova)
Ben (Support Vehicle)

Bushboy

bushboy
11-07-2017, 11:10 PM
https://castlecombecircuit.co.uk/shows/summer-action-festival/22/7/2017/?book

Follow this link for tickets & track sessions.

I think the free entry tickets get the driver in for free, not sure about passenger(s)

There is a club code to get a discount but I was instructed not to post it on public forums, (wish you lot would read the thread) so PM me for the code.

From memory, last year the support vehicles were on the same stand as the cars.

Cheers

steve
12-07-2017, 12:20 PM
Hello Mate, Sorry but I'm still not clear on this.

I saw the prices on the Castle Coombe website the other day, and yeah, tickets are 12.

So, what are these 10 "Driver passes" that you have?
If these will give me free entry to the event, can I have one please?

It would suit me to be able to park next to the ClubNova tent because I am bringing a louvre with me. So maybe I can be a "support vehicle"?

I understand the part about PM'ing you for a discount code for purchasing tickets on the website, that's fine. But please tell me if there are any free tickets available first.

islandman
12-07-2017, 08:18 PM
I will still be there one way or another, I'm still hoping to be in the Nova...MOT man permitting!

bushboy
12-07-2017, 11:15 PM
I received the DISPLAY CAR passes today. Note the DISPLAYCAR part.

Support vehicles are not allowed to be parked with the DISPLAY CARS. They will be parked in the trailer park

I will Email the members that have shown an interest in displaying their cars to confirm their attendance & postal address and will Post the passes when I receive confirmation.

The pass is for the car and driver only. Any passengers must have a valid separate entry ticket.

Cheers

bushboy
13-07-2017, 12:01 AM
Nova owners that are not paid up members of Club Nova, & wish to display their cars at Castle Coombe on Saturday 22nd July, PM me with your email address so I can confirm your postal address.

I only have details of Club Nova Members.

Bushboy

Dirk
13-07-2017, 10:40 PM
Is there a map of the site where the club stand is? I can not find anything on CC web site.

Dirk

bushboy
13-07-2017, 10:52 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/bushboy554/Castle%20Coombe%202017-003.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/bushboy554/media/Castle%20Coombe%202017-003.jpg.html)

Club Nova is on Stand M19

Buffy
17-07-2017, 09:10 PM
Guys
Am bottling it. Have just not had time to test my car after the water dumping episode to build confidence so I am using a trailer.
The car will be there though !
Apologies for the convoy but I am sure we can do one there

islandman
17-07-2017, 09:27 PM
No way man........ I've come 6000 miles and you bottle it over 150 miles......:cry:

Seriously, have faith and have the RAC card (which I know you have) that's all you need :wink:

I guess we have to respect your decision and the fact you will bring it on a trailer anyway so Kudos to you :groupwave:

islandman
18-07-2017, 08:57 PM
Having checked AA route planner it looks like a 2 1/2 hour drive for me. So seeing as the convoy won't be much of a convoy with Buffy dropping out I'v decided to go up the night before and grab a B&B so I can have a more leisurely start to the day.

Buffy
19-07-2017, 11:29 AM
Trying to make me feel guilty !! 😀

islandman
19-07-2017, 04:28 PM
Trying to make me feel guilty !! 😀

:zipped:

Buffy
19-07-2017, 06:52 PM
So
How many cars will be on show then?

jim73vw
21-07-2017, 08:49 AM
Having checked AA route planner it looks like a 2 1/2 hour drive for me. So seeing as the convoy won't be much of a convoy with Buffy dropping out I'v decided to go up the night before and grab a B&B so I can have a more leisurely start to the day.

We are doing much the same, staying with friends in Chippenham tonight. Sarah picking up Martha from school (Worthing) and heading there - I have the Nova at work (Horsham) and leaving to head there.

We are treating it like a Top Gear challenge - who will get there first!!

But, given it is end of school and the busiest Friday on the roads I suspect both journeys will be slow.

What time are people arriving at the show - we may need to help out Adam on the CKC stand for a little bit, but looking forward to seeing everyone.

Dirk
21-07-2017, 11:54 AM
I'm currently stuck on the M69 my fan belt has just gone. I've sent the wife of to GSF to get another
Dirk

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

islandman
21-07-2017, 12:55 PM
I will be in Corsham about 7pm. I may be meeting up with Dirk for dinner depending on when he gets there. Want to meet for Drinks?

glasgowgolfer
21-07-2017, 01:51 PM
Guys in the very unlikely scenario of a dark stranger tuning up and mentioning that he has a Nova to sell then please pass on my details.
daviekinloch@hotmail.com

cheers & have a marvellous time.

Dave

Buffy
21-07-2017, 04:01 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170721/074d0059b1b215558dda08910071731c.jpg

All loaded for a drive in the morning
C u there !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jim73vw
21-07-2017, 07:29 PM
Got to Chippenham, torrential rain for last hour on A303 which was interesting!

135 miles without drama, got a bit hot though with heater running to keep screen clear! Had the sunroof open much of the way.

see you all tomorrow- rain looks set in :-(

islandman
21-07-2017, 07:39 PM
What a nightmare journey!

I left Essex with the sunshine out in full force. I was pleased I finally had a petrol gauge I could rely on and a full tank of gas. I Got to the M40 section of the M25 and an almost standstill. 20 minutes later speeds picked up, but then slowed near Reading. Then Torrential rain....I haven't connected up the fan yet or screen demisesters (not even fitted), so the car was an instant sauna with the screen fully fogged up. Then when I thought it couldn't get worse the windscreen wiper stopped right in my eyeline. So now rain, wiper stuck and screen misted up.....I slowed right down to try and see out. Just to matters worse the side windows were leaking. I have been here two weeks and have had glorious weather, but the slightest chance of a car show and it turns instantly.

I finally found a petrol station with a covered forecourt, I pulled in out of the rain, got the socket set out and tightened the nut on the wiper spindle. Luckily an easy fix and I had wipers again. I pulled out of the petrol station and headed the B&B which was quite close now. Then just as I thought it couldn't get worse the car stalled....I bumped started it as I still had momentum. Then stopped completely just off a roundabout in the pouring rain. The petrol gauge still showed half full, I jumped out in the rain, opened the engine cover and looked at the glass fuel filter, it was empty!!!! argh....so much for my new gauge being accurate .... :(
Called the RAC, the he asked me where I was...err...no clue! At that point a BMW pulled up right behind me and as I'm on the phone a man appeared offering to tow me to safety. I explained there were no tow points on the car and that it was fuel. He offered to take me to a petrol station as he and I stood there in the rain. I got in his car with his wife and 9. Month old child ( I couldn't believe a Good Samaritan existed). Once I had fuel I headed to the same petrol station again to fill up this time. What and b&$@;y journey.
So now sitting in restaurant hoping the rain will stop and I can see where I am going!!
And Mark (aka Buffy) you were worried about taking your car out...LOL...maybe you were the sensible one ;)

Buffy
21-07-2017, 08:17 PM
I am saying nothing !!! 😂
Although I am not there yet but mine is all tucked up in a covered trailer .....

Buffy
21-07-2017, 09:09 PM
Your car have made Facebook !!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170721/b87fd661942e3629abe35956d37499e1.png

islandman
21-07-2017, 09:15 PM
How on earth did you stumble across that fb post ?

and if you look at my screen you can see what I was trying to see through. I ended up driving around the local area with the canopy up in the rain looking for a restaurant. A few glasses of red wine later in the local Italian restaurant and it didn't seem so bad ;)

islandman
21-07-2017, 09:18 PM
And just when I thought nothing else could go wrong my left indocator was blinking ten to the dozen... Another thing to be investigated when it's dry.. Front bulb gone

Buffy
21-07-2017, 09:24 PM
Sounds like you need another glass!
On Fb, I have a search
Cars you don't see anymore pre 94.
Your car has been appreciated 😀

Monkeyboy
22-07-2017, 06:32 AM
Blimey, sounds like drama all round, who said owner a Nova was easy.......

Hope today is better weather for you guys. I was planning to come up in the daily drive but the forecast looked bad all weekend so decided against it. Enjoy and post lots of photos please

Colin

Alzax3
22-07-2017, 07:21 AM
And everyone watch out for deranged BMW 4x4 drivers on the way home!

jim73vw
22-07-2017, 08:07 AM

Sunshine currently, forecast is rain from midday :-(

jim73vw
22-07-2017, 08:26 AM
Sunshine currently, forecast is rain from midday :-(

Ready for the show - rain helped clean it overnight.

Note precautionary additional handbrake!

Buffy
22-07-2017, 09:02 AM
Daves busy !!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170722/dd9d8c47676b059d2d13feb67bd336b4.jpg

BlueNova
22-07-2017, 01:47 PM
Daves busy !!

What a challenging few days Dave's had and a horrendous day yesterday in the rain .... but I'm sure he'll say it was all worth it just to get to a show this year with the new dash in place! :drive:

.... and I hope Dirk finally made it to the show after his fan belt snapped!

Alistair

MicksRedNova
22-07-2017, 05:25 PM

Sorry to have missed it this year, but not sorry about being potential target practice for BMW X3s this year.

Great vid BTW. Nice to see a bunch on track https://youtu.be/ym46TmjBQ3M

Mick

jim73vw
22-07-2017, 05:54 PM
We have a stack of pictures on two cameras to download, but not home till tomorrow night.

will put them on our Flickr page in a dedicated album and share link here. Sarah should have got some good action shots from Phil's Sebring.

If anyone has good ones to share or add to the album happy to add. I find wetransfer.com good for sharing files - just pm me for email address if you want to ping any over.

A good day despite the weather.

islandman
22-07-2017, 06:00 PM
uneventful drive home thankfully, the rainx antifog wipes helped plus having the heater blower rigged up even if not plumbed in. Will sort photos later, but here is a video to keep you going

https://youtu.be/6W7_O_w_auU

BlueNova
22-07-2017, 06:08 PM
Sorry to have missed it this year, but not sorry about being potential target practice for BMW X3s this year.

Great bid BTW. Nice to see a bunch on track https://youtu.be/ym46TmjBQ3M

Mick

Hi Mick/All,

I also found these 2 which Dirk posted on You Tube earlier .... a bit closer to the cars :) great stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9b_pHtUNTg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMPpfIzZzZ0

Alistair

BlueNova
22-07-2017, 06:10 PM
uneventful drive home thankfully, the rainx antifog wipes helped plus having the heater blower rigged up even if not plumbed in. Will sort photos later, but here is a video to keep you going

https://youtu.be/6W7_O_w_auU

Excellent!! :groupwave:
Alistair

Buffy
22-07-2017, 08:01 PM
We did go faster than that ! 😀

islandman
22-07-2017, 08:19 PM
https://youtu.be/K1m23693brg

islandman
22-07-2017, 08:24 PM
We did go faster than that ! 😀

err....no! I have video proof that you don't like to go faster than a snails pace......Top gear had Captain Slow, we have Inspector slow ;)

https://youtu.be/k5yu69P0Ybk

Buffy
22-07-2017, 08:27 PM
I know your registration
And I will get you bodily searched when you leave the country !!!
Lol

Buffy
22-07-2017, 08:29 PM
And I was complying with the regulations set '
Haha
We did go faster, trust me I'm a .....

islandman
22-07-2017, 08:39 PM
a few more photos for those that couldn't attend

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139371803@N05/shares/u16157

Buffy
22-07-2017, 08:45 PM
Great photos mate.
The track part made the day .....

Monkeyboy
22-07-2017, 09:01 PM
Excellent photo's and video's guys. Wish I had come along mow as the weather didn't look too bad.

Nice to see a group of Nova's and an Avante together, I bet they received a lot of attention.

bushboy
22-07-2017, 10:23 PM
So Sorry That I could not attend. Absent Temp meant I was called into work. As it turns out the Eureka would not have made it. I have been laid up crook for a week & then thought it a good idea to fit the spare, but untested, V6. Spent until 01:30 Saturday morning adding the finishing temp gauge & clutch linkage only to find that while it idles nicely, apply any throttle & it coughs & farts. Dove it wo work to blow out the cob webs but my suspicions is the injectors are not what they use to be.

Any how, hope you all had a safe trip home. Thanks for the pictures and I'm off to bed now to help the green hue of envy slip away.

Bushboy

Scorpion
23-07-2017, 01:33 AM
Castle Combe had a good turn out of members cars - 7 in total but a shame about the weather. Nice pictures and videos posted so far and looking forward to seeing the rest soon.

The weather this year bought back memories of the drive home last year and Mick's nasty accident. (looks like me and David, islandman, had the wiper gremlins with us this year). I got to the track just as the heavens opened and ping goes the wiper. Even the attendant at the entry gate, who ran to my other half in the passenger seat to relieve her of 15 quid and blurted " passengers gotta pay ", suddenly disappeared for cover to avoid a drowning.

I agree with Buffy about the track drive being the best part of the day. I and a couple of others mentioned that they were disappointment with the content of the show this year. There were about 5 stalls selling products and complete lack of parts and bit`s & pieces stalls to mooch through.
Having said that Castle Combe still gives members a chance to meet for a get together. Shame Martin and Mick couldn`t make it( next year guy`s) as this would have added to an already great turn out. Great to see you all and looking forward to the next one.

jim73vw
23-07-2017, 07:55 AM
https://youtu.be/K1m23693brg

Nice one David - Great video, so unusual to see your own car on the move!

I will download pics tonight/tomorrow. We are still in a dry Chippenham and heading home later, rain forecast for lunch!

Glad everyone seems to be home safe. The track parade was definitely a highlight - Martha loved it.

She also took some great pics on the drive, is definitely taking after her Mum with photography - for those that read CKC you will see she is actually credited for her pictures in my Goodwood breakfast club write up.

I filled the tank before we set off so am going to work out MPG for the whole trip too.

Spacenut
23-07-2017, 11:14 AM
Great photos and videos guys, thanks for sharing!

I remember the kit car action days at CC back in the mid-90s, great fun! I hope this event helps to re-kindle some of that excitement. Were the track activities all behind a pace car, or was there some open track action?

Lauren

Dirk
23-07-2017, 12:47 PM
After the 9 hour trip to get there the trip back was pleasant and uneventful. The round trip was 453 miles
Dirk

Phill
23-07-2017, 03:55 PM
Great pictures and videos. Wish my car was finished and I was able to have been there with it too

BlueNova
23-07-2017, 04:04 PM
Great pictures and videos. Wish my car was finished and I was able to have been there with it too

I totally agree Phill. I've found the videos particularly motivating .... I must spend more time in the man cave!! Alistair

Dirk
23-07-2017, 04:25 PM
A couple more videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym46TmjBQ3M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1rkuTo5owo

Dirk

Dirk
23-07-2017, 04:42 PM
And some photos

http://i.imgur.com/itcvKyk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QSKmH77.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1P67ipy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Lms1OB0.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wR26RME.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UOE63W7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6qcvN7I.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/K0aV27o.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/INn5HXF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5qOKGQU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hR1UA1H.jpg

Dirk

jim73vw
23-07-2017, 04:59 PM
After the 9 hour trip to get there the trip back was pleasant and uneventful. The round trip was 453 miles
Dirk

Well done Dirk - you definitely win the longest journey award!

Our return journey was pretty uneventful too - the only edgy bit was not knowing how much fuel remains when the light comes on!

Light rain only today, so foot down a little bit more :whistling:

All of our pictures are in a flickr album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jim73vw/albums/72157683908754654

Any problems viewing please let me know.

If anyone has pictures they want to add/share happy to add them - you can use wetransfer to ping across (pm me for email address).

And if anyone has good pics or videos of us on the move would love to see them.

madscientist
23-07-2017, 05:52 PM
Just been catching up (away on me travels with no interweb access), brill vids and pics- can't wait to get back and continue work on my own car- I hope I can take it there one day and finally meet everyone!
Cheers
Colin

Spacenut
23-07-2017, 06:02 PM
Some great pictures there Jim, thanks for sharing. Interesting to see the view through your windscreen with the canopy closed - talk about "red mist"! But I guess you get used to it after a while, it must be like looking through tinted shades?

I REALLY need to get my car back on the road!

Lauren

jim73vw
23-07-2017, 06:08 PM
Some great pictures there Jim, thanks for sharing. Interesting to see the view through your windscreen with the canopy closed - talk about "red mist"! But I guess you get used to it after a while, it must be like looking through tinted shades?

I REALLY need to get my car back on the road!

Lauren

Yes it does put a tint on the pictures - but not in real life when driving to that extent!

BlueNova
23-07-2017, 07:02 PM
All of our pictures are in a flickr album

What a fabulous selection of photos Jim. Thanks for sharing! I don't think there's a square inch of any of the cars that isn't covered! ;) Alistair

BlueNova
23-07-2017, 07:13 PM
And some photos

Dirk

Great photos Dirk! Your yellow Avante really stands out in the crowd!! :) Alistair

glasgowgolfer
23-07-2017, 07:22 PM
Your car have made Facebook !!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170721/b87fd661942e3629abe35956d37499e1.png

Great looking Nova

glasgowgolfer
23-07-2017, 07:32 PM
Brilliant photos, All the cars look fantastic.....a Nova a Nova my kingdom for a Nova

Buffy
23-07-2017, 08:26 PM
Jim et al.
Great photos and videos. It was really nice to show my car at last to a few of you and also discuss issues nova.
It was also the first time I have ever seen an avante and the brilliant work that dirk has done on his car.
Just chatting and having the confidence to test my cooling system again in front of the spectators at a race track made my day.
We were definitely parked in the wrong location for the event however I think we left an impression on all those who had never seen a nova before .....

jim73vw
23-07-2017, 09:32 PM
We were definitely parked in the wrong location for the event however I think we left an impression on all those who had never seen a nova before .....

Agree wholly - seemed all the other kits were down the other end!

I did wonder on the way home whether they had thought we were Club Vauxhall Nova ? :nonono:

Dirk
23-07-2017, 09:50 PM
Agree wholly - seemed all the other kits were down the other end!

I did wonder on the way home whether they had thought we were Club Vauxhall Nova ? :nonono:

I think you are right Jim.

Great photos thanks to Sarah for taking them.

Dirk

Dirk
23-07-2017, 09:53 PM
Some one else got us on video and Mark was driving a Ford GT :laugh:

https://youtu.be/MEVtFHYMSEc

Dirk

Buffy
24-07-2017, 11:42 AM
Like it 👍

bushboy
24-07-2017, 08:32 PM
Wow, great pictures & vids. Although it appears that you were all suffering with roof closing issues:coat:

The lunch time parade & if you want, paid fast laps, is where Castle Coombe wins over Stoneleigh. It would be brilliant if this was to become a two day sleep over event.

Counting the days til next year.

Bushboy

Dirk
24-07-2017, 09:41 PM
Wow, great pictures & vids. Although it appears that you were all suffering with roof closing issues:coat:

Bushboy

Some of us have got proper opening windows to keep cool . Well I have :coat:

Dirk

Buffy
24-07-2017, 09:49 PM
And !!
Lol

Scorpion
30-07-2017, 12:58 PM

The lunch time parade & if you want, paid fast laps, is where Castle Coombe wins over Stoneleigh. It would be brilliant if this was to become a two day sleep over event.

Counting the days til next year.

Bushboy

Despite the weather i found it really warm in the car driving round the track :whistling:. but then, there was the obligatory pose while passing the spectators.

Scorpion
30-07-2017, 01:36 PM
Great photos and videos guys, thanks for sharing!

I remember the kit car action days at CC back in the mid-90s, great fun! I hope this event helps to re-kindle some of that excitement. Were the track activities all behind a pace car, or was there some open track action?

Lauren

Hi Lauren. if you hang back at the rear of the pack you get to do some catching up :drive: especially if you do it just before the long straight. Mick the track master showed me this on my first trip to combe a couple of years ago. if i remember right i think we touched around 80mph.

jim73vw
30-07-2017, 05:13 PM
Hi Lauren. if you hang back at the rear of the pack you get to do some catching up :drive: especially if you do it just before the long straight. Mick the track master showed me this on my first trip to combe a couple of years ago. if i remember right i think we touched around 80mph.

Indeed! My speedo needle hit 75mph which is actually around 80mph. We played cool waving at the crowd and raising roofs until the boy racers had all gone past and then had fun at the back of the pack.

There were also paid fast sessions - search around on You Tibe and you will see the Saxo that got it very wrong - there is even a video of him being towed away :oops2:

Red_Vodka
31-07-2017, 02:50 AM
When the subaru engine goes in I'll show them what club nova can put out, maybe a little nos for good measure :cool1::rofl:

islandman
31-07-2017, 01:43 PM
When the subaru engine goes in I'll show them what club nova can put out, maybe a little nos for good measure :cool1::rofl:

Lol...best laid plans....but wait till you go around a corner in a Nova at speed before making too many plans for lots of horse power. It doesn't matter how you throw a sledge hammer the heavy hammer end will always end up going first......and its not much different with a rear engined Nova.... I learnt the hard way! ....and one of those times was with an air cooled engine :oops2:

Red_Vodka
31-07-2017, 06:56 PM
Lol...best laid plans....but wait till you go around a corner in a Nova at speed before making too many plans for lots of horse power. It doesn't matter how you throw a sledge hammer the heavy hammer end will always end up going first......and its not much different with a rear engined Nova.... I learnt the hard way! ....and one of those times was with an air cooled engine :oops2:

Straight lines though :cool1:

Gaisa
31-07-2017, 09:49 PM

So, they turn almost as badly as a fired arrow? :ermm::facepalm::rofl:
I'm not too surprised really, I guess one way to resolve this, would be to convert the car into a mid engine setup?

Alzax3
01-08-2017, 06:05 AM
I'm not too surprised really, I guess one way to resolve this, would be to convert the car into a mid engine setup?

Ummmm I wonder?!:whistling:

islandman
01-08-2017, 01:07 PM

Ask Lauren who has a mid engined setup...... But then I do remember a hedge incident and loss of front bodywork.... Hopefully Alex, Mick and the Pie Valley chassis will redress the balance (pun intended)

Spacenut
01-08-2017, 08:29 PM
Yes, it's true - even a mid-engined configuration has to be treated with respect, especially in the wet :blushing:

I have it better set-up now, but still needs caution, even with a paltry 95 bhp...

My friend Sean used to work on the recovery trucks at Swain and Jones in Farnham, he was always pulling new MGFs out of hedges. Mid engine cars have excellent levels of adhesion and grip, up to a point. Beyond that point, you need lightning reflexes to bring it back from a spin.

Lauren

MicksRedNova
01-08-2017, 09:28 PM
Yes, it's true - even a mid-engined configuration has to be treated with respect, especially in the wet :blushing:

I have it better set-up now, but still needs caution, even with a paltry 95 bhp...

My friend Sean used to work on the recovery trucks at Swain and Jones in Farnham, he was always pulling new MGFs out of hedges. Mid engine cars have excellent levels of adhesion and grip, up to a point. Beyond that point, you need lightning reflexes to bring it back from a spin.

Lauren
Now you tell me! :facepalm: I'm basing my new Nova on a type of car that spends half its time in a hedge backwards. :nonono:

Mick

Red_Vodka
01-08-2017, 11:06 PM
I've been offered a 330bhp lump :bananasplit:

BlueNova
01-08-2017, 11:55 PM
I've been offered a 330bhp lump :bananasplit:

Hi Tobias, didn't you listen to what Islandman told you? Let me remind you ...

Lol...best laid plans....but wait till you go around a corner in a Nova at speed before making too many plans for lots of horse power. It doesn't matter how you throw a sledge hammer the heavy hammer end will always end up going first......and its not much different with a rear engined Nova.... I learnt the hard way! ....and one of those times was with an air cooled engine

... Tobias, at your tender age you'll believe you're immortal. When I was your age I did too! Thankfully I've survived, but a lot of my friends haven't ... :(

.... Hoping I can put an older head on younger shoulders .... walk away from that offer! :)

Alistair

Red_Vodka
02-08-2017, 12:12 AM
So what you're saying is there is no way to whip people in their modified corsa's & fords? :violin:

islandman
02-08-2017, 12:44 AM
So what you're saying is there is no way to whip people in their modified corsa's & fords? :violin:

Its easy to whip all manner of vehicles with a Nova, that includes Corsa's, Fords and Ferarri's. Just park close by to them and see which one the crowds gravitate towards to take a look, and if that's not working (which has never failed me), just simply remotely open the canopy! Job done, it won't fail you and just watch the envious faces of all the Corsa, Ford and Ferrari boys. Play to the cars strengths, its looks and you won't care if you can't do a 1/4 mile in 10 seconds

Red_Vodka
02-08-2017, 12:53 AM
Its easy to whip all manner of vehicles with a Nova, that includes Corsa's, Fords and Ferarri's. Just park close by to them and see which one the crowds gravitate towards to take a look, and if that's not working (which has never failed me), just simply remotely open the canopy! Job done, it won't fail you and just watch the envious faces of all the Corsa, Ford and Ferrari boys. Play to the cars strengths, its looks and you won't care if you can't do a 1/4 mile in 10 seconds

Yes that's true, but you have got to have a little bite to your bark!

Buffy
02-08-2017, 07:27 AM
Of course you can put a 330bhp lump in the back, but you will have to do so much to the chassis, suspension, brakes etc to make the car safe , and insurable.
I was told not to use my engine in my posts, but I still did it.
It's your car so do whatever you want to, but it will cost you more than the value of the car now to to it !!

Buffy

Spacenut
02-08-2017, 06:04 PM

Just remember where you are coming from - the VW Beetle that forms the basis for the Nova was designed in 1936. Engine performance, chassis dynamics, suspension behaviour, steering etc. are all derived from that basis. Corsas and Fiestas have far more technical sophistication. Of course they can be thrashed, potentially even by a Nova, but only with significant modification. The engine is just the start of the process.

As the old adage says, "speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"

Buffy is right - it's your car, do whatever you want. Just remember that some of these modern hatches can show a clean pair of heels to an early 80s Ferrari 308, which was THE performance benchmark, once upon a time!

Lauren

Red_Vodka
02-08-2017, 08:21 PM
Of course, I understand everything needs to be up-rated...it's not a fast process..:crylol:

Gaisa
02-08-2017, 08:51 PM
Of course, I understand everything needs to be up-rated...it's not a fast process..:crylol:

Just had to emphasize the point. :twisted:

The tail end issue isn't just the nova, the original WV beetle and many/most rear engine cars (as far as I know, please correct me if I'm wrong!) suffer from the same issue and while my reaction time used to be quick enough to get me out of the odd pickle in the past, it didn't last.
I used to use the extra weight on the rear to make crazy turns and did my fair share of dumb assed things, but ending up in a hedge or two, quickly kicked that cockiness and that so called sense of immortality out of me.

Regardless of all that stuff, I still love the Nova and if I ever have the money, I hope to own one, and if I ever win the lottery, I'd try to build something under a new nova shell to "see what I can do" ... knowing my luck, I'd probably crash it within the first minute! :ermm:

Spacenut
02-08-2017, 09:29 PM

I know it looks like we're all ganging up on you, but we mean well and there is an important point - by the time you have got your Nova into a state where it can take on these spotty oiks in their souped-up shopping trolleys, you won't want to take them on - too much of your time and money will have been invested in the car to risk it. Meanwhile, said oiks can afford to act like pillocks because they know if they get it wrong they can just throw the remains away and get another car, usually for peanuts.

As Dave (Islandman) says, the best way to thrash these guys is in the looks department - the Nova really is the ultimate expression of form over function!

Lauren

Red_Vodka
02-08-2017, 09:38 PM
pillocks

:rofl:

I don't want a ricer though

Gaisa
03-08-2017, 12:47 AM
:rofl:

I don't want a ricer though

I actually had to look that up and ohh my, there are some seriously messed up "mods"... :scared: (some tamer examples and definition: https://www.carthrottle.com/post/w9942mr/)

But there's the thing, a Nova isn't a mish mash of things cobbled together to look like someone on LSD decided to play "build a car" (A fair few were... (cough) disturbing!).

A Nova isn't a ricer, its a classic and uniquely designed creation thats got plenty of looks and intrigue but it doesn't look artificial or over the top.

Yes, you can do plenty to your car, it is yours after all, so what right do we have to tell you what not to do? We're simply trying to share a little advice from hard learned experience (in some cases, with the odd bump, bruise, or even broken bone).

If you want to go all out with your car, go for it! But if you do, please consider what else you need to do to make it as safe as you possibly can.
Some (and maybe all) of which we would be more than willing to share what we can, be it friendly and hopefully helpful advice, or maybe things like what did and didn't work when we made similar (or crazier) attempts.

As mentioned in previous posts and (I believe) elsewhere, making the car mid engined could help improve the stability some, by moving the weight a bit further forward, but you also have to consider suspension (front and rear), gearbox, whether you plan to stick with the old front beams and steering, or whether you should put something a little newer into it?
Ultimately, there is a LOT of things to consider and I KNOW there are others who can and will share advice on improvements and more, in a far better manner than I could ever hope to achieve, you just need to ask.
Lauren is a prime example and if there anyone I would ask, she's probably one of the first people I would ask for advice :)

(gets off my soap box)
G

BlueNova
03-08-2017, 06:04 AM
Really good advice from Gaisa and others. Here's my tuppence worth, Tobias .... speaking as someone whose Nova is in bits, and hasn't driven it since 1991, I'm really looking forward to driving it again, even with all its idiosyncrasies. You're in the fortunate and rare position of owning a fully MOT Nova, so get out there and get to know the car and prioritise what you'd like to change. A big power plant with all the suspension changes would take your car off the road for a while ... do you really want that? And if you do want to go down the mid engined/different suspension/chassis route, why not wait until Mick and Alex have completed their Pie Valley MGF Novas and road tested them (after the IVA test of course). That seems to me to be the best way forward for anyone contemplating a serious upgrade.
Alistair

Red_Vodka
03-08-2017, 12:10 PM
I appreciate the concern, I really do. I'll take it into consideration. First thing i'm doing is replacing the seats and changing the upholstery so i'll have a lot of time to think about it.

I've never considered myself a reckless driver mind you; i've spun my MG a couple of times (not intentionally) so I don't call myself invincible :scared:

MartinB
03-08-2017, 02:11 PM
I actually had to look that up and ohh my, there are some seriously messed up "mods"... :scared: (some tamer examples and definition: https://www.carthrottle.com/post/w9942mr/)

But there's the thing, a Nova isn't a mish mash of things cobbled together to look like someone on LSD decided to play "build a car" (A fair few were... (cough) disturbing!).

A Nova isn't a ricer, its a classic and uniquely designed creation thats got plenty of looks and intrigue but it doesn't look artificial or over the top.

G

I had to look that one up too... (maybe I'm just getting old! `)
Hopefully Nova Owners are a bit more sensible than this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DXnY63iUeE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DXnY63iUeE)

On a more positive note, you may like this, which has been done to a beetle; although this has been done purely for 'straight line driving' (you have to love their enthusiasm!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpb2Him9CUo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpb2Him9CUo)

a few faq's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lelXak6zTE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lelXak6zTE)

and some closer details of the 'system'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuUosnTjHEc (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuUosnTjHEc)

...there are many vids of extensively over powered beetles, but then I like the idea of the 'sleeper' methodology of this one! I just wouldn't want to go round any corners `)

:coat:

Red_Vodka
03-08-2017, 02:40 PM
The sort i'm referring is to rice they usually mean cars that undergo big exterior modifications while having no better aerodynamics and have otherwise a stock car (with most of the time a very small block and loud noise which produces severe lack of power)

My Nova is loud and good looking, but lacking in the performance depo. Typically what a ricer would have! Not saying thats a bad thing though with it as its an old motor; the difference is, people don't think its old.

MartinB
03-08-2017, 02:43 PM
I hope you liked the second link with the Subaru engine fitted in to the beetle! `)

Red_Vodka
03-08-2017, 02:56 PM
I hope you liked the second link with the Subaru engine fitted in to the beetle! `)

Mighty car mods are already one of my subbed channels! :lmfao:

MartinB
03-08-2017, 03:27 PM
:thumbup:

jim73vw
03-08-2017, 07:33 PM
You certainly don't need to go too extreme to get good performance in a Nova.

The weight is always an advantage compared to production cars.

I talked through engine transplant ideas with Fellows Speed Shop and was correctly advised that a turbo scooby lump would be too much in the Nova.

The stock naturally aspirated is certainly sufficient and pushes along the Nova very briskly (a Subaru gearbox helps with ratios etc).

The weekend after Castle Coombe I headed down to the West Country again on the M3,A303 etc but this time in the daily (1.6Tdi Skoda diesel).

Once the rain subsided a little (yes another torrential trip) I started to use the brief overtaking sections of the A303 to make up time and pass the slower ones. A few sections in I was starting to worry why the Skoda seemed sluggish. I was having to drop down to 3rd not 4th and build revs early ahead of overtaking and it felt very pedestrian!

Then I realised why - I did the same manoeuvres in the Nova the week before and it is far quicker in every gear!

So I have finally managed to build a car quicker than my daily company hack!

And most importantly it stops quickly too - the investment in brakes was worth it, and the front/rear bias adjustment is valuable. I had a forced emergency stop in the wet which stayed straight and felt pretty secure given the lack of modern braking aids, and I have experimented with hard braking on various quiet roads whilst adjusting suspension set up.

islandman
04-08-2017, 02:41 AM
Last word of advice from me, just drive the car for a while.....e.g. 1 year. Don't change a thing other than fix anything that stops you driving it.

You will soon find out what needs changing or not, and what is viable or not.

Thankfully I drove mine for 2 years before I started to try to fix a small electrical problem, that resulted in it never being fully finished for the next 26 years (although it was drivable and MOT'd at various stages, even if it didn't look like it should be!)

Monkeyboy
04-08-2017, 06:18 AM
And all this has what to do with Castle Coombe??????

islandman
04-08-2017, 11:28 AM

Well I suppose if we did want to draw a linkage the topic Castle Combe is a race track and we are talking about speed :ermm:

Buffy
04-08-2017, 11:56 AM
I was lost as soon as "ricer" and "subbed channels " got mentioned !!!!!:coat:

MartinB
04-08-2017, 02:25 PM
Think it started with wanting to show a turn of speed on the track, post #90+ something? :oops2::coat:

...perhaps the thread is turning into 'preparation for Castle Coombe 2018?' :zipped:

jim73vw
04-08-2017, 03:32 PM

Here you go then - back on topic.

Spotted on the way out - 10mins 17seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JawshJ2WsaE&feature=youtu.be

bushboy
04-08-2017, 03:33 PM
Being from the country of Mad Car Mods I can't really add any sense to this altered thread. I have never driven a VW powered Nova so have no idea how they perform. I did ride shot gun in one once but then it was towing a TARDIS (small caravan)

When I brought my Eureka it has a VW 1600 twin carby thingy in it. That came out and in went a 2L straight 4. Never got on the road, then in went a 1.8l Subaru, never got on the road. THen we came to England & in went the 2.5L V6.

Like James said, drive your Nova for a long time & then jump back in the tin top & you wonder why it take two weeks to over take even a bicycle!

I have been sideways a lot in the Eureka, have run into a brick wall frontwards, massive under steer, but have never (fingers crossed) put it backwards into a hedge.

Dry roads are lovely & so far I have had enough warning of a wayward rear end to catch it. Wet roads use a double helping of restraint as it will lose the back end just cruising around a corner on a trailing throttle.

That is with 170 horses (according to Mazda), so 330, in a great hurry, would be a big handful. Still I'd love to try it!!

So if you do go that route, first time out make sure you engage your brain before engaging 1st gear!

Bushboy

Red_Vodka
04-08-2017, 04:20 PM
So if you do go that route, first time out make sure you engage your brain before engaging 1st gear!

Bushboy

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

islandman
05-08-2017, 12:01 AM
Here you go then - back on topic.

Spotted on the way out - 10mins 17seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JawshJ2WsaE&feature=youtu.be

At least he knew it was a Nova and not a Ford GT :wink:

And as you said before, it quite rare but always nice to see your car on the move when you're in it :cool1:

Yours was the quietest of the lot going past

Monkeyboy
05-08-2017, 08:20 AM
Excellent Jim, As Dave says it is very quiet, I was wondering if it had the usual loud Subaru roar

islandman
11-08-2017, 07:11 AM
Relooking at the photos it seems that twin rear round lights are in vogue on Nova's at the moment, all four in this shot have them

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4358/35661001264_6791269e81_z.jpg

BlueNova
11-08-2017, 11:16 AM
Relooking at the photos it seems that twin rear round lights are in vogue on Nova's at the moment, all four in this shot have them

They look great! I'm probably biased, but I can't help noticing that blue seems to be in vogue too!

I think the lines of my rear lights echo the lines of the louvres, but once the car's back on the road, I'm sure I'll want to change a few details. Meanwhile, I need to get on with the chassis!!

The coverage from Castle Coombe this year has really been great. You guys who took your cars there are really raising the profile of the Nova again!

Alistair

islandman
11-08-2017, 12:40 PM
They look great! I'm probably biased, but I can't help noticing that blue seems to be in vogue too!

I think the lines of my rear lights echo the lines of the louvres, but once the car's back on the road

Alistair

I have actually purchased a set of those lights already (new old stock) as one of my options for the brown nova. I've not decided which way I will go yet and am exploring various options

jim73vw
11-08-2017, 05:15 PM

I think the lines of my rear lights echo the lines of the louvres, but once the car's back on the road, I'm sure I'll want to change a few details. Meanwhile, I need to get on with the chassis!!

The coverage from Castle Coombe this year has really been great. You guys who took your cars there are really raising the profile of the Nova again!

Alistair

I do like those - Cavalier units?

Looks very neat with the reflector strip under the number plate.

BlueNova
11-08-2017, 05:37 PM
I do like those - Cavalier units?

Looks very neat with the reflector strip under the number plate.

Hi Jim,

Yes, Cavalier units turned upside down and trimmed at the outer edges. David was asking about them a while back ... here's my reply ... http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?6645-Scottish-Nova-time-for-a-rebuild!&p=119557&viewfull=1#post119557

Cheers, Alistair

Mostin
12-08-2017, 09:50 PM
Great photos & videos. A good turn out on the Nova front & great looking Nova's at that

Great job :0)

Cheers.
Mostin

BlueNova
23-08-2017, 02:48 PM
Just bought Sept issue of Complete Kit Car .... great lead photo for Castle Coombe of David, Dirk, Jim, etc, on the track .... and a super photo of Mark's and Jim's cars in Jim's report about the Buggy and the Nova, but the best photo of all is the one of Martha on p83!!

You guys are definitely putting the Nova back in the spotlight! :clapping:

Alistair

islandman
23-08-2017, 02:51 PM
https://vgy.me/STP6tr.jpg

BlueNova
23-08-2017, 03:40 PM
I didn't print the image for fear of breaking copyright David ;) :outahere: Alistair

Dirk
23-08-2017, 09:30 PM
Excellent:clapping: I'm going to have to buy the mag now

Dirk

jim73vw
23-08-2017, 09:46 PM
Just bought Sept issue of Complete Kit Car .... great lead photo for Castle Coombe of David, Dirk, Jim, etc, on the track .... and a super photo of Mark's and Jim's cars in Jim's report about the Buggy and the Nova, but the best photo of all is the one of Martha on p83!!

You guys are definitely putting the Nova back in the spotlight! :clapping:

Alistair

Sure are ! And more opportunities this weekend at Carfest South!

Martha was delighted to be in print again 2365

BlueNova
23-08-2017, 10:58 PM
Sure are ! And more opportunities this weekend at Carfest South!

Martha was delighted to be in print again 2365

I don't think David will have copyright on the one he posted, but I'm sure you'll have copyright on the ones you posted of Martha and your Nova, Jim! :thumbup: Alistair

islandman
24-08-2017, 02:43 PM
I didn't print the image for fear of breaking copyright David ;) :outahere: Alistair

Yeah I did think about that for all of a nano second, especially with Jim a contributor to the mag being on the site. Then I figured I'm only posting 1 of 3 images in the mag so folk will have to buy the magazine for the rest (and judging by subsequent posts I was right) so its a win-win :cool1: