PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder 1 and 2 not firing

JONESY25
11-06-2017, 11:00 AM
So I fitted new cylinders and bores as I was passing oil, really pitted bores where the engine sat for 4 years. Ran engine up yesterday it started first time and running reasonably well, untill I noticed fuel dripping going from cylinder 1 J tube to silencer connection. After some investigation both 1 and 2 stone cold, plugs fire (checked on head case) so both leads working. Firing order correct too.
Pull both leads off 1 and 2 engine stays running!?
Desperate in need of some advice as have Mot this Saturday. I have 009 electronic dizzy, new silicone leads running OK before rebuild.

Phill
11-06-2017, 12:02 PM
Do a compression test to rule out any mechanical fault. Good compression means it has to be either electrical of fuel. You say it's dripping fuel and that the firing order is correct so this suggests to me a mechanical problem.

JONESY25
11-06-2017, 04:09 PM
Do a compression test to rule out any mechanical fault. Good compression means it has to be either electrical of fuel. You say it's dripping fuel and that the firing order is correct so this suggests to me a mechanical problem.
Thanks phil. I'm going to check the tappets again, then check compression. I leak tested the heads while they were off so valves seating OK. With the new rings and bores compression should be high.(had 70psi old bores).

JONESY25
15-06-2017, 12:10 PM
Seems like my carb of one and 2 is not atomising the fuel. On idle pure fuel is being pulled down. This will be the 3rd time I have removed the carbs and stripped down and cleaned them. I have a sonic cleaner but it will only take 500mm of solution so I can't bath the whole body. Has anyone used a company to refurb their carbs properly. I have found http://www.weber-carbs.co.uk in Essex at £145 a carb for full referbishment.
Also had anyone got or tried the FAJS weber idf 40 carbs on ebay?

JONESY25
18-06-2017, 05:16 PM
Stripped and rebuilt the carb. Gasket was wet with fuel so not sealing. Engine started and ran for 10mins all cylinders firing and exhaust ports hot. Engine stalled(my fault) and wouldn't start again, then a almighty bang in the exhaust from unburnt fuel with me trying to start the car. Has anyone had this before, am I running g too lean?

Gaisa
18-06-2017, 06:24 PM
More like too rich, I had that on my old bug before I tuned it up;
I found how to get it to happen deliberately and it was kinda fun to do when tailgaters wouldn't give me space, so, a little fuel in the exhaust, rev and BANG ... sooty fireball over said tailgater's bonnet :wink::tongue:

I suggest going over everything to be sure: check spark plugs on all cylinders are firing properly, that the valves etc aren't lifting or closing too soon and check the tuning :wink:

-------------------

Hmm... or, if you got that because it didn't start, thats because the excess fuel drained into your exhaust: double check everything to make sure you're getting sufficient spark etc

-------------------

I'm sure others will elaborate on the little I can remember http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/images/smilies/wink3.gif