PDA

View Full Version : Disc Brake Dust Shield and 'Packing Paint'

MartinB
07-09-2017, 03:03 PM
I have just received some new front calipers (TRW Varga) complete with fitted pads and some new dust shield backing plates.

I had a moan at the supplier as the backing plates had damaged paintwork on them. They replied that the black paint was 'Packing Paint' and is only there to prevent corrosion in transit. They stated that all the packing paint must be removed and then primed and re-painted.

I've never heard of 'Packing Paint' before, and had hoped to simply fit the items as they were, and touch up the damaged paint.

I have since noticed some tin wear items have it stated that they are covered with packing paint, but not these particular items.

My question is; is it normal to buy tin wear / backing plates and have to strip the paint and then re-paint before fitting? I've not heard that before and there is no instruction supplied to have to do that...
If they had not had a few small areas of paint missing, I would have simply fitted them and not queried it!

wizrod
07-09-2017, 04:18 PM
I think its a general, if not widely known thing.

AFAIK, all the tinware that we buy from the 'usual suspects' comes in a rather poorly applied coat of black paint that we are 'supposed' to remove, or at least flat down before priming before painting...

P.

MartinB
08-09-2017, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the info! I guess it was too much to hope that I could buy pre-painted parts and simply replace the old items then... :nonono:

I would gladly have paid a few pounds more for them to have been properly painted, particularly as they have to do a paint job on them to start with, oh well!