PDA

View Full Version : Chassis Paints?

BlueNova
29-09-2018, 02:56 PM
Hi all,

My chassis is almost ready for painting :bananasplit: so I'm starting to think about paint. I've already treated the original steelwork, including the inside of the tunnel, with rust converter and will shortly be stripping the black protective paint from the new floor pans, naps hat and front frame bottom plate ready for painting.

I'm thinking about a nice gloss black on the upper sides of the floorpans and the frame head and either the same or a rubberised 'stone chip' type of paint everywhere else.

So basically I'd be interested to hear what others have used, and how they've applied the paint, along with any the pros and cons.

Thanks in advance, :thumbup:

Alistair

Phill
30-09-2018, 04:08 PM
I just slapped black Hammerite onto mine using a brush

BlueNova
30-09-2018, 08:17 PM
Maybe I'm over thinking it Phill.

After all, my Nova's not going to be an everyday car so it's not likely to be frequently exposed to rain and roadsalt. When I came over to see you I remember thinking that the finish on your floor was very good. I stripped the paint from the underside of the floorpans today and degreased the whole underside, so hopefully I'll get some paint on it in the next week or so.

Must admit that after all the work I've done on the chassis I thought (just for the briefest of moments!) that it would be a shame to hide all that shiny metal .... and maybe it would look good with a few coats of clear lacquer! :facepalm:

Alistair

islandman
01-10-2018, 01:36 PM
Shiny gloss black topside, stone chip underside..... I can't claim credit for the work as I outsourced it

https://vgy.me/KmGxSF.jpg

https://vgy.me/eJdRxS.jpg

https://vgy.me/uzSwFt.jpg

I have already managed to scratch the finish in a couple of places, plus as you say it gets covered and goes largely unseen so I wouldn't stress so much. Keep it simple.

BlueNova
01-10-2018, 05:14 PM
Your Scooby chassis is absolutely stunning David ... Flatlands really do produce 'concours' quality work! :thumbup:

Dirk
01-10-2018, 09:45 PM
I did Red oxide then hammerite and tetroseal underneath. I also did the wheel arches and engine bay in a thinned tetroseal it has a nice finish to it.

Dirk

BlueNova
02-10-2018, 07:26 AM
I did Red oxide then hammerite and tetroseal underneath. I also did the wheel arches and engine bay in a thinned tetroseal it has a nice finish to it.

Dirk

Thanks Dirk ... sounds about right. If it's good enough for the Forum's master kit car builder, it's good enough for me! :thumbup:

BlueNova
02-10-2018, 07:05 PM
Forgive my indulgence, but I got home from work early tonight and slapped on the 1st coat .... and after what seemed like an eternity learning to weld and then actually doing the repairs, it feels like I've turned a corner! :bananasplit:

Phill
02-10-2018, 09:08 PM
Fantastic.. I can feel a trip to St. Andrews coming up soon:bananasplit:

Spacenut
02-10-2018, 09:24 PM
Hi Alistair - I love what you have done with the floorpan drops. Going right out to the body mounting flange has given you more width than the standard "factory" drops, and the extra length makes them look much more subtle. With some low-reflective black paint they should disappear nicely :clapping:

islandman
03-10-2018, 04:55 AM
Forgive my indulgence, but I got home from work early tonight

See Dirk's build is certainly infectious, coming home from work early to work on the car :thumbup:.

Before you know it you won't go to work at all just like Dirk to work on the car :whistling:

Its looking great and loving the progress and posting

BlueNova
03-10-2018, 07:33 AM
Fantastic.. I can feel a trip to St. Andrews coming up soon:bananasplit:

You're welcome any time Phill !! :D

... and Lauren, I went pretty much with the dimensions in the Modifications Manual, but I'm 'height challenged' so have limited the drop to 2.5". I also sloped the rear drop panel at 45' after Dirk said he'd had problems reversing off ramps etc. Thanks for the tip about low reflective paint :thumbup:

David, I'm finding working on the Nova a bit like doing exercise ... the more you do the more you want to do!

Alistair

Buffy
04-10-2018, 09:06 PM
I used POR15 on my chassis and floors, very good stuff but a tad expensive.

And as I have said many times, 5 minutes every day is forward progress to finishing the car.

Looking good..