Page 94 of 97 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Nova & the unregistered one

Well after lots and lots of procrastination and the odd gentle nudge from Dirk to start doing something I figured I better open the box with my dash (well strictly speaking a mark 2 rear section and a front cut up section from my Subaru donor car) that I brought back from the UK to Singapore.

My first task was to make a workstation to fit on top of the trusty rusty workmate. As you can see I had some help for this part.

Once made and mounted I started pulling the various bits out of the box, reminding my self of what I brought back and how much hacking I did!

I had marked a number of witness marks to line up the two parts, but after lot of studying it I think the dash was too far back on the drivers side. So I moved this forward (crossing my fingers that I hadnít put it in the original position for a very good reason, now forgotten)

You can see roughly how much wider the original dash was by the cut out section Iím holding.

My thinking at this point in time is to mate the two vents back into the narrowed dashÖÖ.but lets see Iím not 100% sure I will go that path yet.

I put all the inserts back in just to make sure I hadnít pulled it too far out of shape before committing to matting the two parts together.

I used cardboard and aluminum tape over the joins to capture expanding foam that I would pour from underneath. (note to self, donít be lazy next time and put packing tape on the cardboard as itís a bugger to get off the foam after).

I made some more cardboard baffles to trap the foam from entering areas I didnít want it to.

I mixed up the remains of some PU Foam I had from the last dash, forgetting quite how much it expands as I mixed way too much and desperately tried scrapping the excess off as it went over the cardboard baffles.

Iím only getting limited time to work on this due to work travels taking me overseas a lot, so donít expect day by day updates

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Nice update David. Youíve reminded me of that satisfying feeling you get when you make some more progress, however small. Iím taking next week off to do some work on the house but I hope to sneak in some time on my Nova too.

I intend to ditch my Mk2 curvy top dash and am thinking about going for Mk1 pods but Iím really impressed with your work on your dashes so Iíll be following with great interest.

Cheers, Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Looking good mate 👍
    But as the junior workers are getting involved it is only fair that they see that the dash fits !!
    So will look forward to meeting them next year at stones 😂👍

Blog Entries
    Good work mate; You are quite adept at this lay-up over expanding foam malarkey.

Its nice to see you making a start. It will be the route I am taking when I do the Nova. The last dash you did looks good. It will be interesting to see what you do different having done one already. Work really does get in the way when your building cars

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Looking good mate 👍
    But as the junior workers are getting involved it is only fair that they see that the dash fits !!
    So will look forward to meeting them next year at stones 😂👍
    If you had been at this years Stones you would have met them

I got an hour spent on the dash today, took off the cardboard and tape, and did an initial sanding and shaping of the join between the two parts. I haven’t finalized the profile yet but plan to keep the original rear flat edge as this is what the canopy meets with. On the first shaping I created a ridge at the rear, but may well remove this to make it a smooth transition between the two.

The sides and front need more work, and expanding foam which I need to go an buy since using up the last of my supplies.

The screen vents are not centralized due to the shortening of the dash, and I’m not even sure I will retain them as they are at all. I could either cut them out and shift the section to the right or just smooth over the whole lot and use aftermarket round adjustable vents. I’ll sleep on that decision for now.

Bumper Measurement

I'm looking at some potential new lights, but I need to confirm some measurements of the bumper. Can anyone help with measurements A & B as per the photo?

Blog Entries
    Hmmm, just dawned on me that my bumper is completely different to yours ...

My 'A' Measurement is 140mm (so a light fitting would need to be somewhat less to 'fit') but I wonder if that is of any use to you ... see below:

IMG_20191018_1824498.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    I'm looking at some potential new lights, but I need to confirm some measurements of the bumper. Can anyone help with measurements A & B as per the photo?
    not the easiest to measure, as high on a shelf with other car bits, but around 31.5cm x 11cm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All the best,

Jim

Club Nova Member, SDBC Member, GRRC Member, Southern Classics

Read more about latest Nova developments in Complete Kit Car