Page 95 of 97 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 LastLast

Thread: 1st Nova & the unregistered one

Thanks Steve and Jim for the measurements, much appreciated. Look like what I had in mind works width-wise, but not necessarily height-wise. I may still pursue this path, albeit with more of a custom bumper / rear approach.

I've spent countless hours looking at modern cars with a small enough rear tail-lights with the look (I like the modern diffused look running lights) and all the functions I want on a single lamp (sidelights, brake, indicator and reverse, with reflector for good measure). Many look nice, but either they don't have the indicator in that segment, or brake light.

I homed in on the Audi A6 Boot segment light below as it meets my criteria, just need to see if I can get it looking like it belongs on the car.

I like the modern diffused look, too. Although I've never done much research as to how it's done. Do you know? Can you see from the tail light you have there?
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    I like the modern diffused look, too. Although I've never done much research as to how it's done. Do you know? Can you see from the tail light you have there?
    Nic, I had previously pulled apart another tail light I was experimenting with. The diffused look is created by a white layer of translucent plastic in front of the LED's, then the outer red layer of clear plastic is in front of that, about a 5mm gap between each layer.

Yes you can see it in the diffused section in this lamp, maybe this makes it clearer. Although it looks more diffused than this photo portrays. The bottom right shot in this set shows the diffused section

Last edited by islandman; 20-10-2019 at 02:24 AM.

Well I’m back in Singapore and managed to grab 2 hours dash time in between house odd jobs and kids demanding I play with them. I tried to explain to the kids that they could help on the dash but they told me that didn’t count as playing and spending time with them (it was worth a try!)

I bite the bullet and decided to reposition and add back in the passenger side face vent. I also decided to do away with the small dash top side window vent as it was in the wrong place to actually work on the Nova anyway.

Having cut out the rough space I started to play with the positioning of the vent surround, trying to keep with the lines and curves of the main dash to minimize shaping, filling and sanding later.

Once happy with the position I held it in place with some fiberglass strip and screws and proceeded to cut the airbag cover to match and blend in.

Next step was to put down some tape and cardboard to prevent the foam from escaping once poured underneath.

I ended up doing two separate pours this time, being more conservative in my mixing quantities on the first one.

Overall I’m happy with the result, it will obviously need some filling and sanding but I’m saving that stage until I’m done with all the dash surgery required…….still have to reposition the screen vents and also deal with the front where the OEM inserts go.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Nice work.
    Nobody doubts that you are the king of expandable foam;
    but are you making a 'buck' here? (from which to make a mould)
    or are you going to sand, seal & trim this dash as is?

Looking good mate, and the updates are always very informative 👍

Starting to come together and looking good.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Nice work.
    but are you making a 'buck' here? (from which to make a mould)
    or are you going to sand, seal & trim this dash as is?

Yes this will be the buck for a mould
    Last edited by islandman; 28-10-2019 at 01:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Nice work.

That title is well and truly Brett's, I'm just an enthusiastic student of his .

You should have seen the various rear ends Brett made out of expandable foam, very impressive

I wanted to get some more done before I went overseas this week, so I decided to centralize the screen demist vent. This entailed marking out where I wanted to cut and remove a section to move it approximately 15 cm to the right.

Next step was to cut it out with a Dremel and multi-tool, so far so good

Temporarily placed in position it looked like it would work, I then proceeded to screw in lots of little securing plates made out of fiberglass to hold the two pieces together prior to tapping over it with cardboard to contain the foam (forgot to photograph that part)

After pouring the foam from underneath once turned over and removing the cardboard I found that the foam had expanded quite a bit, pushing the cardboard and tape out. It shouldn’t be a big problem as it will sand off easily enough and allow me to get back to what it should look like. I decided to let the foam cure fully and tackle that after my trip next week.