Page 119 of 120 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120 LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1195

Thread: 1st Nova & the unregistered one

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Looked at my nova calendar today at work and the September page thinking, when was the last time you saw it ?
    May 2019

Thanks to Mike for sending me through the tracing of the window aperture and to Dirk for a measurement I was able to build a mock-up roof angle and window shape to try and adapt some mirror mounts.

Id ordered an alfa 156 and an alfa 147 mirror off eBay. Unfortunately, both had issues when they arrived. The Alfa 147 one didnt fold back as the aluminum mounts had oxidized together solidly, and all 3 screws sheared when trying to undo them also. So I knew that my initial attempt would be just to see if I could get the lines to work, and if they did Id order some more for the final mirror.

As you can see the mounts are huge, and as expected the angle is way out when the mirror bottom is horizontal versus the roof line.

I started by grinding away the mount, and wanted to keep at least two of the original mounting holes into the metal frame if I could. Unfortunately, one was just too far forward so I cut it off and fortunately there was a thick section of the frame further back that could be cut flat and then drilled and tapped to create a new thread. The third mounting point was created using a captive nut and copper tube to bury it deep inside the unit then applied fiberglass filler to hold it in place. Then I applied the fiberglass filler to start the shaping process.

A bit of filing later and I achieved a shape I think works well. I didnt spend too much time on the final finish as this mirror will go in the bin as its seized to the mount and will likely get damaged it I try to split it.

I think the lines work, and a big difference from the original

I plan try the same method with the alfa 156 mirrors then decide which ones Im going to go with before sourcing some more.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Nice to see you getting some more dirt under your fingernails Dave, great work.
    Looking at the pic with the barcode visible on the lens, yeah the lines really do work well, very OEM.

Q: What is the angle of the wooden A frame you've built?

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Q: What is the angle of the wooden A frame you've built?
    The Nova windows are approximately 46 degrees from vertical. I built the frame at 45 degrees (simply because I had a jig for cutting the wood batons that angle), as I figured 1 degree wasn't going to make much odds one way or another

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    That looks really great David

It's an area I'll have to tackle too because (if my memory serves me well from 1991) the view in my drivers mirror was poor and the passengers mirror was just there to balance the appearance of the car!

Looking forward to seeing the Alfa 156 mirrors

Nice work it looks great, it will be interesting to see the other side by side.

Dirk

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Nice work watching with interest as I've still got the mirrors from the 156 donor car
    Mike

I found some time today to have a go at modifying the Alfa 156 mirror mount. Unlike the Alfa 147, the 156 mount is completely made out of cast alloy versus the 147 which is alloy covered in plastic. The style of the mount is also totally different.

Quite a bit of metal had to be cut away if it was going to fit within the small triangular space at the front of the window. This meant pretty much taking out most of the metal right up to where the mount meets the mirror housing. Given the mount was alloy and had a number of thick areas I managed to drill and tap all 3 mounting holes into the casting itself which is good. This was then followed by the fiberglass filler.

I channeled out the section for the wires and plug to thread through (I actually put wood here when I applied the filler to make it easier to remove.). From some angles it looks pretty good I think, and this mirror also folds back.

However, Im not so sure I like the look when you view it at eye level to the mirror mount itself (OK to do this when on the car you would need to be 3 feet tall, or on your knees given the cars height!).

The original mount was designed to flow sharply upwards but given the space I had to modify it dramatically losing that intended flow. When viewed like this it just doesnt seem right to me, versus the 147 mount which looks more natural in the flow.

Thoughts?, critique, opinions etc. gratefully welcomed .

I think it's the sharp angle where the mirroe meets the horizontal that is a bit off. Not sure how to explain it but as you say, the flow is off. Still looks great though, try playing with it with some plasticine.
    Last edited by Peter; 11-10-2020 at 12:49 PM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not? JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Blog Entries
    Th new 156 mirror looks good from above, but from the 3ft angle the mount looks too chunky to be OEM, prefer the first mirror you modded.