Page 80 of 86 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Nova & the unregistered one

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Dash is obviously priority
    Everything else you can get here !!

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    I checked with the airline I normally fly and my box that I have packed up the new dash in is within their size limits for bulky items so I can take it when I do make a trip. The bad news is that by the time I do come to make the trip I will have dropped my loyalty status tier as I haven't been flying enough so won't have the weight limit for that and my other luggage
    Forward you luggage, it is cheaper than excess baggage and it's delivered to your home the day after you arrive.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Forward you luggage, it is cheaper than excess baggage and it's delivered to your home the day after you arrive.
    By what method?

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    I checked with the airline I normally fly and my box that I have packed up the new dash in is within their size limits for bulky items so I can take it when I do make a trip. The bad news is that by the time I do come to make the trip I will have dropped my loyalty status tier as I haven't been flying enough so won't have the weight limit for that and my other luggage
    simple,

Fly NAKED!!!
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Vin plate

Well I got my VIN plate engraved courtesy of my parents (not the highest definition photo from my mother's iPad). It has come out really well and the all important super long engine number fits into the space provided on Dan's new plates

In the photo below I have redacted the last 2 digits on the chassis and engine number (hence the red rectangles)

Well bags are packed, and more importantly so is the dashboard!

crate1.jpg

Looking forward to working on the car
    Attached Images Attached Images

looking forward to seeing the work on the car and how the dash fits `¬)

Have a safe journey. I hope the dash fits after all your hard work. See you at Castle coombe.
    Dirk

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I bet the spanners will be out within 5 mins of getting back !!

Frustrating Day

Well I unpacked the dash from the crate and it came through in one piece, which is good news. So the plan was to collect the car, take it for the MOT as it had expired then start to try and fit the dash.

So off I went to collect the Nova from its storage garage about 1 hours drive away. After turning the key for 20 seconds to get fuel into the carbs she fired up, so all sounded good and I was happy. I drove back home as I had booked an MOT for the afternoon. She ran a little hotter than normal on the motorway so I suspected she needed topping up with coolant as I’m pretty sure I have a small leak in the front radiator from when I dropped a tool on it! The journey was uneventful and I topped her up with coolant once home and bled the front radiator for good measure.

Next stop was for the MOT, the temperature was lower on the way there so that was good news. I flashed a car to let them out then the left pop-up light kept going up and down and wouldn’t stop! After lots of turning the lights off and on it finally stopped in the down position as required. I obviously need to adjust the bump stop, another job on the list. Once at the MOT station I sat nervously while he tested the lights crossing my fingers it would stay down once he switched them off, and thankfully it did so that saved an embarrassing moment.

However it wasn’t all good news, the exhaust back box on one side had two small holes and was blowing so that was a fail. It was 20 years since I made it so I can’t complain too much. It also failed on the handbrake, which is a bugger as that wouldn’t be so easy to fix.

So once home I started taking the exhaust off, which is a real pain as the nuts on the manifold are difficult to get to and you can only do ¼ turn each time with the spanner. Two studs came out with the nuts, no big deal as they were rusted badly. One nut however would budge and due to the angle of the spanner it started to round of the brass nut. After lots of cursing, WD40, hitting with a hammer and general frustration it finally came off and the exhaust was removed. So tomorrow I will try out my new welder to patch it up. A neighbour suggested I use stainless hex cap bolts rather than studs and brass nuts given that the access to the nuts was limited. He said that the rover V8 crowd do that as they have similar access issues. I was worried about the metal compatibility, but he reckons stainless on the alloy heads is fine.

Next I started to investigate the back brakes. The pads looked pretty worn with not that much material left so my first step is to replace those hoping it helps the handbrake. The problem is I can’t remember exactly what they are from!!! I’m fairly sure it was a Lancia Delta, need to figure out the year and where to buy them for an eighties car.
    Last edited by islandman; 11-07-2017 at 07:59 AM.