Page 105 of 106 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106 LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1053

Thread: 1st Nova & the unregistered one

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    It looks really good in the photos, when I did my door the areas where the filler over the foam was very thin, like you say spongy once I sprayed them (with cellulose) it reacted with the foam and bubbled. Lets hope the 2 pack is better.

Dirk

Looks great to me, I dare not show what is under my dash, more like a model aircraft made in ply, ribs and slats but its solid. probably just a plug and two or even three stages less than David and Brett would do.

Alcantara looks and feels great on mine. I actually had real expensive black suede at one time but it went brown and shriveled so waste of a lot of dosh. Black and red velour seat covers ended up pink and grey too, the sun here burns even the lacquer off the cars.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Blog Entries
    I think this will look amazing on the car - EOM style finish.

Dave
    Looks a dam site better than my dash before it was covered, and once you have done it you will forget about any tiny imperfection.
    Nobody will know 😉

I squeezed some time in ahead of my travels to start making the flanges for the multi-part mold. First I apply vinyl tape to the painted part (to protect the painted finish), then I make ribs from Styrofoam or cardboard, basically whatever I have to hand. I secure these with aluminium tape, as its very very sticky and holds well.

Then the method I use to try to get the flange as close as possible to the part is to start with thin cardboard. I roughly cut it to follow the line, then use spray glue to attach smaller pieces butted up again the part.

Once Iím happy with the profile I then use this as a template to transfer it and trace it onto corrugated plastic sheet. I then fix this with more aluminium tape to the ribs and the part.

Itís pretty much ready for the mold making once back from the trip. The part has already had 4 layers of mold release wax applied. Iíll give it two coats of PVA before I do the gel coat once Iím back

Looking really good and a great write up of the process, i bet you can not wait to get back and crack on. Im very jealous of you being able to work outside, my heating has to go on in the workshop each evening.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Looking really good and a great write up of the process, i bet you can not wait to get back and crack on. Im very jealous of you being able to work outside, my heating has to go on in the workshop each evening.

Dirk
    Yes I'm eager to crack on once back...... The temperature here is either hot or hot & wet.....its not all good though, the humidity canbe a bit much at times. But on balance I'd rather have that than the British winters

Well I’m back in Singapore and have finally gotten around to the dash again. I used some new wax for filling the gaps between the flange and the part, Soft Filleting and Filling Wax from Easy Composites, and I highly recommend it, very easy to use. Sorry forgot to take photos of that part of the process (they have videos on their website) https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/...lling-wax.html . Previously I used melted candle wax, but this stuff is so much easier to use.

Then I used 4 coats of mold release wax, followed by 2 coats of PVA, but on certain parts only. PVA when applied with a sponge (I don’t have spray equipment here) leaves a slightly textured surface and I wanted to have the top section as wax only as an experiment to see the difference in the finish (fingers crossed it releases!!).

Then I applied a white pigment to the gel coat so that it would contrast with the black so I could easily tell if I had the right coverage.

Followed by a coupling layer of 100gm chopped strand mat, so that it easily conformed to the shapes. It’s been a while since I last applied any fiberglass and I tried to do too much in one go and the resin started to harden so it was a mad rush for coverage. Fingers crossed I didn’t mess up too much. Tomorrow I’ll give it a sand down to knock down any high fibers before I apply 450gm CSM as the next coat.

Last edited by islandman; 13-03-2020 at 01:09 PM.

Blog Entries
    Excellent work.

I made enquiries at a local Fibreglass shop about making a Aussie-style single sheet louvre for my car,
    (Similar to this https://www.purviscarsonline.com/pro...-window-louvre)
    I was quoted an eye-watering 4 figure sum.

However this thread does show the manhours and skill required to create custom fibreglass parts from scratch.

Looking good, I can never get gel coat to cover properly with a brush but it looks like you got a good cover on. The wax looks interesting too.

Dirk