Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2464727374

Thread: 1st Nova & the unregistered one

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I would use laminating resin and put down a couple of layers of tissue over the gel coat first when you come to make the part.

Dirk
    How is laminating resin different from general purpose polyester resin?

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    How is laminating resin different from general purpose polyester resin?
    It doesn't contain the wax so you don't need to sand between layers, it will remain tacky for longer but left over night it will dry to a matt finish. So you do a couple of layers of tissue with laminating resin leave over night Then you can put your mat straight over with your polyester resin.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    It doesn't contain the wax so you don't need to sand between layers, it will remain tacky for longer but left over night it will dry to a matt finish. So you do a couple of layers of tissue with laminating resin leave over night Then you can put your mat straight over with your polyester resin.

Dirk
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm loathed to by laminating resin just for that job as they don't sell small quantities at the suppliers in Singapore (there isn't a fibreglass hobby market here).

So would there be an issue if I just used Polyester Resin with the tissue and not sand between layers (I have never sanded between layers and didn't know I was supposed to

edit : I just read that if doing several layers the heat during curing negates the need to sand if the resin contains wax, maybe that's how I have been getting away with it and didn't even know it!
    Last edited by islandman; 22-03-2017 at 11:21 AM.

2mm of foam and Alcantara will hide most defects.

Sent from my VFD 700 using Tapatalk
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm loathed to by laminating resin just for that job as they don't sell small quantities at the suppliers in Singapore (there isn't a fibreglass hobby market here).

So would there be an issue if I just used Polyester Resin with the tissue and not sand between layers (I have never sanded between layers and didn't know I was supposed to

edit : I just read that if doing several layers the heat during curing negates the need to sand if the resin contains wax, maybe that's how I have been getting away with it and didn't even know it!
    You would only need to sand if the layers had cured, putting down 2 or 3 layers at the same time is OK as the wax will rise during the curing process, I'm not sure you would have any benefit of wet mat over wet tissue as your mat will move and pull the tissue. I'm no expert and my opinion only comes from playing with the stuff and what has worked for me, I've never done anything as big as you are doing so hats off to you for the successes so far.
    CFS do a good fibreglass guide here is the link.

http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/Web...glassGuide.pdf

Dirk

Cheers for the advice.

the mold has been trimmed, filled with wax in some voids, and aluminium tape over others where I was not too fussed about the line being seen, or if it was too hard to get to and fill. I put a couple of thick coats of PVA down and will possible start with the gel coat tomorrow, although I need to go and get more supplies first.