Page 97 of 101 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Nova & the unregistered one

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Its starting to come together and looking good. Its a shame about the fake wood I am sure that will be difficult to cut and round the edges it might be easier to use some proper wood you could shape and sand it before adding a lacquer?

Dirk

The wood section, why can’t you create the shape you want in aluminium, then get someone to glue a veneer on the top and lacquer accordingly.
    Just a thought which I am sure you could get done locally ....

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    might be easier to use some proper wood you could shape and sand it before adding a lacquer?

Dirk
    too much like hard work, my game plan was to be able to simple plug in OEM inserts. I'm pausing to think through options before I move forward. I think I may be able to cut the fake wood and then butt up against the reworked surround to hide the cut marks.....lets see

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    The wood section, why can’t you create the shape you want in aluminium, then get someone to glue a veneer on the top and lacquer accordingly.
    Just a thought which I am sure you could get done locally ....
    Same comment as my reply to Dirk, I'm trying to keep things simple..

Well I marked out where to cut and left some space below (yes its upside down to make it easier to work on) the size of a 2 DIN radio.

Then I bit the bullet and made the cut in the OEM insert, I’m reasonably pleased with the finished edge. The next step is to pull around the side on the right to make use of the profile to run along the bottom. It won’t go fully around but gives me a starting point and profile to follow.

I cut the metal bracket holding the heater controls down also, but then It started to get to twilight so I stopped, will resume tomorrow.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Looking very good David! ... you're becoming quite an expert at remodelling dashes!

Alistair

Looking good. What did you use to cut the wood effect?

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Looking good. What did you use to cut the wood effect?

Dirk
    I started with a dremel and diamond cutting wheel at slow speeds then finished off with a hand file

Well I had to resort to Plan B, as using the original plastic dash profile to bend around the base failed dismally. So plan B entailed making the profile with some wooden baton pieces and balsa wood ends (easier to shape).

Initial shaping done, it will require some filler and further shaping but I wanted to strengthen the dash area first and hold it all together, so out came the PU expanding foam again

I protected the bits I didn’t want the foam going over, and leaving space for the OEM wood insert to push back in after.

Not fully done but coming together slowly.

The fake wood insert has been tapped over to protect it
    Last edited by islandman; 24-11-2019 at 11:02 AM.

getting good at this stuff David, I still fancy something on the lines of the 2016 Chevy' Corvette.
    But I have promised myself, no more mods, so what I have is what I have to live with.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl