Page 121 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 1218

Thread: 1st Nova & the unregistered one

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    The mount is in two parts, one a thick structurally ridged ABS plastic, which wouldn’t comply with a hot air gun. The other is more a decorative thin plastic, which would if needed.
    Cut, shape and trim the fat from the ridged plastic and then make a new cover from fiberglass with the looks and shape that you want and bond that to the ridged plastic.

Next time I go to one of the yards here I'll have to check one out to see what your dealing with.

I've already done the majority of the hacking this evening already. I've embedded some captive fixings and put the first layer of fiberglass filler to hold things in place. I didn't take photos but will tomorrow. I did manage to drill into my thumb also whilst not wearing gloves, not a great move!!!

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    I've already done the majority of the hacking this evening already. I've embedded some captive fixings and put the first layer of fiberglass filler to hold things in place. I didn't take photos but will tomorrow. I did manage to drill into my thumb also whilst not wearing gloves, not a great move!!!
    Managed that myself a month ago, bit snapped and drilled into my thumb to the bone, ouch! was NOT what I said.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Well I got the mount for the Mazda RX 8 mount done. I’ve only bothered to do a rough finish on it for now until I decide if it’s the route I’m going to take, don’t critique the surface finish just yet.

I’ve shaped the mount it in a way that sticks to the original design cues as much as possible, but also make the “footprint” of the mount as small as possible and follow the lines of the window frame.

I think I could have angled it slightly down more so that it was more horizontal to the ground, although my kids seemed to prefer it angled slightly upwards.

And here it is compared to the other two Alfa options

Thoughts, inputs welcomed ?

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    I also like the slightly angled upwards look `¬)

Does the ability to see past the rear haunches have any bearing on the angles?

Its been so long since I looked at mine, being away from it, I can't remember what the view in the wing mirrors looks like!

Quote Originally Posted by MartinB View Post

Does the ability to see past the rear haunches have any bearing on the angles?
    It certainly impacts whether the angle of adjustment from the electric mirror motor can turn to the right degree or not. On my blue nova its pretty much on the limit of adjustment.

Its a real pain not having the car to hand when making such parts to test the fit and angles. I have to make to with judgement and luck! worst case is that I have to add fiberglass filler and adjust the angle once in the UK

RX8 mirror is definitely the better choice

Edit:

Having it angled up a little would help seeing over the hump, wouldn't it??
    Last edited by Brett; 22-11-2020 at 06:13 PM.

That's looking great David - pity you can't check the rear view visibility on the car itself , but the aesthetics of the design are perfect
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    It looks very good. Does it also fold in electrically as well?

Dirk

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    RX 8 also gets my vote David. Amongst other things I like the way the edge of the glass mirror nearest to the side window (1st photo) is more or less parallel to it, so it looks as if it was actually designed for the Nova. Great work once again.