Page 75 of 144 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Nova & the unregistered one

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I cant wait to see it pulled should look really good,
    Yeah I'm so tempted to rush it and pull it early to get a look at it, but as this is the last stage in what has been a very long journey I'm resisting that temptation.

I'm not expecting it to be perfect as the mold itself had to be filled in various places (just wish I had used tissue cloth as the first layer on that, it would have prevented those issues).

I ran out of fibreglass and won't have enough resin to finish so I need to get some more supplies again. I'm hoping to have it done by the weekend and ready to pull, weather permitting as I'm working outside.

Great work Dave.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished article.

I hope it all fits when you bring it to the UK and offer up to the car, fingers crossed.

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
    I hope it all fits when you bring it to the UK and offer up to the car, fingers crossed.

Colin
    You and me both! If it doesn't fit my MK1's it may fit a MK2 with the more upright screen rake..... lets see

Ok the fibreglass lay up is finished, the mold is trimmed and the last layer is lightly sanded. I didn't lay it it very thick as : 1) its not a structural part, 2) I want to keep the weight down as I plan to try and take it as checked baggage when I do eventually go to the UK.

I hope you have a big laptop bag to carry it in.......

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
    I hope you have a big laptop bag to carry it in.......

Colin
    Well people take golf clubs, and I've even seen 50" TV boxes being checked in so it ought to be possible, lets see..

Well I popped the dash out of the mold, the sides, back and top came off really easily and the front sections only needed limited persuasion so trimming the part fully whilst in the mold seems to have helped.

Only on closer inspection did I realize a chunk of gel / resin on one of the small narrow cross section near the switch panel had broken off in the process. It broke cleanly so it can be stuck back on. I think that this was an area the gel and resin ran down into and pooled in and set before I actually got tissue cloth there. I was wondering what best to stick it back with, thin smear of resin? Superglue ? Contact adhesive? Thoughts anyone?

Anyway here it is straight out of the mold with the flashing etc..

And here it is post sanding off the flash lines and some minor trimming.

Overall I'm pretty happy how it turned out, I can't wait to cut all the blanking panels out and see it with the inserts and vents etc... I did start to cut out the gauges area for the OEM insert for vents and dials but my Dremel packed up then it started to rain heavily so it put pay to any further work on it for today.

It wasn't intentional but looking at the photos the colour seems to be a pretty close match to the car colour, not that it matters as it will be trimmed eventually but at least whilst its not it matches the car

Looking good

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when you get it to check in.

All part of the fun

Cheers.
    Mostin
    “A plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrong”

Looking good Dave, I have a feeling it will be worth all the hard work