Page 120 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122 LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 1216

Thread: 1st Nova & the unregistered one

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Hi David,
    I have to agree with Steve ... my vote's for the Alfa 147
    Alistair

147 all the way for me.......

Datsun 1970-78 Z240 my fav' but then I went silly with small Italian, then CBS 'Turbo', still think the Datsun ones were cool and went well with the cars shape.
    Last edited by Peter; 12-10-2020 at 12:00 PM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Yup Alfa 147 gets my vote - so that's four votes and you're now through to the semi finals..
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

The 147 mount looks better, but I'm not totally sold on that overall look yet. Someone suggested a Mazda RX8 mirror may work, so I'm awaiting delivery from eBay of one to try out

As mentioned previously it had been suggested I look at the Mazda RX8 mirrors as possible options. Well one finally turned up, sent from the UK, it took so long it must have come by boat!

Anyway the angle of the standard mirror is surprisingly close to what is needed for the Nova compared to any others Iíve worked with.

Even the mounting frame follows the windows lines, albeit far too large.

The challenge making this mirror work is going to be that its designed to have a section protrude into the door frame for mounting (I cut a hole in the wood to mount this to assess the angle).

Furthermore, its totally plastic so once material is cut-away Iíll have very little to work with to make new mounts for the screws.

Anyway, Iíll have a play this weekend to see what progress I can make.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    As mentioned previously it had been suggested I look at the Mazda RX8 mirrors as possible options. Well one finally turned up, sent from the UK, it took so long it must have come by boat!

Anyway the angle of the standard mirror is surprisingly close to what is needed for the Nova compared to any others Iíve worked with.

The challenge making this mirror work is going to be that its designed to have a section protrude into the door frame for mounting (I cut a hole in the wood to mount this to assess the angle).

Furthermore, its totally plastic so once material is cut-away Iíll have very little to work with to make new mounts for the screws.

Anyway, Iíll have a play this weekend to see what progress I can make.
    That looks very promising David! Looking forward to seeing how you get on

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Anyway the angle of the standard mirror is surprisingly close to what is needed for the Nova

If its made out of plastic and its close to fitting, could you take a heat gun to it and heat it up just enough so you could reshape it to fit the contours of the car

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    If you cut the section off that would be inside the car does that leave you with a hollow section? If so you could fill in with polymorph once set glue it in and drill and tap it?

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    If its made out of plastic and its close to fitting, could you take a heat gun to it and heat it up just enough so you could reshape it to fit the contours of the car
    The mount is in two parts, one a thick structurally ridged ABS plastic, which wouldnít comply with a hot air gun. The other is more a decorative thin plastic, which would if needed.

Whilst the mount could be made to work almost ďas-isĒ I donít want to go down that path as it will cover a good portion of the side window given its size, and visibility is already bad enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    If you cut the section off that would be inside the car does that leave you with a hollow section? If so you could fill in with polymorph once set glue it in and drill and tap it?

Dirk
    Iíll probably end up using fibreglass filler with embedded captive nuts as per my other trials on the alfa mirrors. The challenge for me is going to be shaping the font section of the mount to look right. As whilst the mount has a nice pointy end, once I chop it back the actual section that goes to the mirror is offset and may not look right.

Anyway, Iíll ponder it and think twice before a start cutting