Page 86 of 86 FirstFirst ... 3676848586

Thread: 1st Nova & the unregistered one

Have you tried making your own pre-curved ply sheet, as opposed to trying to persuade a flat ply sheet to adopt a curve?

I'm thinking along the lines of making a form to match your desired profile, then gluing multiple thin sheets together, all camped to the form, so when the glue has set, they hold the form's profile. Something like this?
    cheers

Paul

That is pretty much what I did for the sides. First layer of 3mm plywood, held in place with blind bolts. Then contact adhesive and then lay the second sheet of 3mm ply.

I actually have the cable you need from my old Smiths speedo. It is currently residing on my front wheel and hanging in the dash area as I have gone digital and will be running ABS sensor for pulses I don't need it, yours if you want it.

cable.jpg
    Last edited by Peter; 19-07-2017 at 07:40 PM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I actually have the cable you need from my old Smiths speedo. It is currently residing on my front wheel and hanging in the dash area as I have gone digital and will be running ABS sensor for pulses I don't need it, yours if you want it.

cable.jpg

Thanks for the offer Peter, Ideally I'm after a new one with no wear and no drag on the cable. Do you know what it is I should be looking for online to find the right one?

Well not much to show for the last two days work. I got hold of a water temperature sender from the original car that matches the gauges. Placed it in a cup of boiling water and connected it to the gauges and all worked OK.

Unfortunately the size of the sender and thread is much smaller than the Alfa one so I canít simply replace it in the block. One idea I have is that as the sizes are so different maybe I can get a bolt that matches the Alfa sender size and drill it out and tap it to take the Daihatsu sender inside it then screw the bolt (with smaller sender inside) into the block. Itís just an idea for now, no time to experiment now.

The rest of the time was remaking the rear centre console section to make it easier to trim as well as enlarging it for more storage space at the same time. I also incorporated the new interior light cluster I purchased. I toyed with putting it in the canopy, but after some tests in the dark last night I concluded that it provided more usable light behind me in the console rather than overhead to the rear of the canopy.

I havenít finished the console yet as I ran out of time. I still have to add the door to the section that rises up as well as adding the door to the top section. In all it has three storage compartments and when all covered in Faux Leather with double stitching on the top of the sides should look really nice.

Iíve temporarily wired in the old water temperature gauge into a temporary blanking panel in the dashes 2-DIN space.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    I have to say I am very impressed with your woodworking skills 👍

It all looks very good, I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh this weekend.

Dirk

Well she is all washed and polished and as good as she will get for the show, you can almost guarantee it will rain on the journey there and mess up all my elbow grease!

I didn’t get half as many jobs done as I had hoped, but at least she is off to at least one show this year

Looking very posh mate👍
    C u tomorrow

Temperature gauge and sender mismatch solved, I managed to find an adapter (1/8 NPT female x M14 X 1.5 male) that allows me to screw the Daihatsu sender into the Alfa Romeo block . So theoretically the dial will now work as designed.