Page 102 of 104 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104 LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1039

Thread: 1st Nova & the unregistered one

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    I can see this taking shape Dave, great work.

Because the original dash glovebox etc.. couldn't be used the passenger side dash depth was way too shallow to meaningfully hide stuff underneath, so I got out the foam again and created a new profile.

My challenge not having access to the car is two fold :

1. Being able to make the drivers side as narrow as possible to allow for the steering wheel to be central to the seating position
    2. Determining the correct overall width of the dash given it will sit higher (and the original dashes narrow at the bottom versus the top.

So a fair bit of guestimetting going on with the end profile angle to ensure the width at the mounting point is correct
    Last edited by islandman; 30-12-2019 at 07:02 AM.

What would be useful for me is if someone could measure the width (body tub side wall to body tub side wall) roughly where the front of the dashboard mounts

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    What would be useful for me is if someone could measure the width (body tub side wall to body tub side wall) roughly where the front of the dashboard mounts
    Hi David,

Just been out to the garage to measure mine. It was relatively easy to get to because the body's still suspended from the garage roof.

I would have sent you a photo of my tape measure at each end to show exactly where it was taken but Norton's currently blocking the vgy.me photo hosting site. Anyway, I measured between the 2 body tub side walls where they meet the front bulkhead. Is that what you meant? The join between the body tub side wall and the front bulkhead has a slight curve rather than a sharp edge so it's difficult to be precise (hence the reason I wanted to send photos). I recon mine's 800mm +/- 10mm but it might be helpful if someone else can double check for you.

Glad you're still making good progress with your dash ... it's looking great!

Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Hi David,

Just been out to the garage to measure mine. It was relatively easy to get to because the body's still suspended from the garage roof.

I would have sent you a photo of my tape measure at each end to show exactly where it was taken but Norton's currently blocking the vgy.me photo hosting site. Anyway, I measured between the 2 body tub side walls where they meet the front bulkhead. Is that what you meant? The join between the body tub side wall and the front bulkhead has a slight curve rather than a sharp edge so it's difficult to be precise (hence the reason I wanted to send photos). I recon mine's 800mm +/- 10mm but it might be helpful if someone else can double check for you.

Glad you're still making good progress with your dash ... it's looking great!

Alistair

Many thanks for the quick turnaround Alistair, much appreciated, but I think my statement on the "front of the dash" wasn't clear depending on how you look at it. I meant the front side with the dials, sorry about that. The section I need to know the width on is as per the photo below. I should have done this in the first place, my mistake.

Mine measures 1225mm at this point

20191230_160836_resized.jpg
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    No problem David ... mine (ie on a Mk2 which I think yours is) measures 1230mm
    Cheers,
    Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    I measured the Mk1 Dash base (I don't have the body to hand) it came out very similar 1225 (mid-ships) 1230+ (top edge, i.e. which normally extends out of the car).
    I didn't realise that the dash base was such a wedge shape (in profile) which accounts for the different numbers. I see you have the wedge catered for in your design.

Thanks guys, very useful. In hindsight I should have asked this earlier (or taken those measurements myself when in the UK) as I could have probably moved the Subaru dash further towards the drivers side on the original base to ensure steering column alignment. I'm not about to chop everything now and shift it to the right for the sake of 1cm though .

Well I continue to plod on and see how it evolves (keeping my fingers tightly crossed)

I was getting near the final stages and preparing it for paint when I thought I’d pop the various OEM inserts in one last time before putting the blanking panels on the front for the mold. Rather annoyingly somewhere along the dash surgery and reshaping process things got pulled out of shape, leaving a big gap when I put in the center fake wood surround.

So I’m now cutting foam and supports back and trying to work out what needs to bend to pull it back into shape……grrrrr….very frustrating at this stage