Page 112 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1126

Thread: 1st Nova & the unregistered one

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I've had trouble with some brands of PVA just beading up on the part. On those occasions I find it easier to just take a cloth and wipe on the first layer of PVA full strength then spray on the rest in the diluted form.

I brushed mine on with a sponge edge, and yes beading was a big issue, particularly as the part is waxed. I have to continually go over it as it dries to spread it out to remove the beading.

I also tried a heat gun to speed up the drying as I sponged it on

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    I have always had a problem with beading, I have just built a mold totally non car related and was having the same trouble, I only use a shaped dish washing sponge made into a triangle like a jenny brush, but I have now found that giving the mold a good wipe with acetone has cured the problem and it is going on perfect.

Dirk
    Ever wonder why it doesn't bead up any more??

Acetone removes wax.

I've found that when the first few layers are fogged on there is no beading/fish eye. Only when you apply the PVA to heavy do you have the problem with beading/fish eye.

I've applied PVA with a clean towel and the first layers I rub the PVA in(stop before it drys) to prevent it from beading/fisheye.

Well I'm glad I slept on it and didn't resort to cutting the dash about and reshaping which was my first thought, I got some large clamps, a heat gun and started to squeeze the dash back into shape. Basically it had pulled to one side at some point. The drivers side switch insert and gauge binnacle now fit, they wouldn't even go in before. The radio surround is a lot closer, but I'm not out of the woods yet on that one, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Once I've got it just about right I'l glass in some structural supports and the section to go behind the gauges themselves then hopefully it will tie it all together so it doesn't move again!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    it sounds like you are making a good recovery, if you have an awkward bit that wont pull or push with a bit of heat some small slits with a dermal type cutting disk can help.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    it sounds like you are making a good recovery, if you have an awkward bit that wont pull or push with a bit of heat some small slits with a dermal type cutting disk can help.

Dirk

Thanks, luckily it seems 80% of the problem was the that original flimsy dash was pulled out of shape while mounting, and mating to the rear of the Nova dash. The remaining 20% was probably a combination of foam movement and not being able to continually try the OEM inserts once foam and blanking panels had been made.

I'm going to continue to take it slowly, and not rush to take drastic action as I always seem to find an easier way if I leave an issue for a couple of days rather than rush in to fix with my first ideas.

It does mean that the new mold is effectively trash as I won't be pulling other out of shape dashes from it. So at least I can scrap that and save some space in the yard.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    […] I'm going to continue to take it slowly, and not rush to take drastic action as I always seem to find an easier way if I leave an issue for a couple of days rather than rush in to fix with my first ideas.
    […]
    That has happened to be a few times on my build, waiting for some work to get done or a part to arrive you come up with a *much* better, cleaner solution to your problem

I'm still making progress on the dash slowly, not much to post yet but at least I think I've averted the need to do a cut n shut to get things to line up. I'm busy making some of the internal mounting points for the gauges and other accessories. I have however almost hit a hard stopping point, I'm practically out of fiberglass resin and with the continued lockdown and with most businesses closed here its unlikely I can get some anytime soon.

I'm literally trying to do each job with "just enough" and erring on the side of mixing up too little rather than too much, just so I can get to the point the dash is considered done! I've got a little under half a litre left.....fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    I'm still making progress on the dash slowly, not much to post yet but at least I think I've averted the need to do a cut n shut to get things to line up. I'm busy making some of the internal mounting points for the gauges and other accessories. I have however almost hit a hard stopping point, I'm practically out of fiberglass resin and with the continued lockdown and with most businesses closed here its unlikely I can get some anytime soon.

I'm literally trying to do each job with "just enough" and erring on the side of mixing up too little rather than too much, just so I can get to the point the dash is considered done! I've got a little under half a litre left.....fingers crossed
    Is there no Amazon or similar online delivery in Singapore?
    I feel sorry for the postie and my local Amazon delivery van driver with some of the stuff they’ve had to bring me during lockdown

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

Quote Originally Posted by MicksRedNova View Post
    Is there no Amazon or similar online delivery in Singapore?
    I feel sorry for the postie and my local Amazon delivery van driver with some of the stuff they’ve had to bring me during lockdown

Mick

Yeah there are delivery services, BUT nothing comes quickly given the lockdown and limited air fright with so few passenger planes flying (air freight companies use a lot of passenger jet space). So ordering online is probably a 4 week wait at best...

I made the back of the gauge support out of a wooden mold, then laid the fiberglass. I have to make some recessed channels to add into this for the faceplate switches spacing and gauge fixing tabs as per the original, but I'll do that as second step as its easier to mold the basic shape first.

Once bonded onto the dash it will certainly help strengthen the large opening also.