Page 28 of 130 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Nova & the unregistered one

Good result on the MOT It looks great next to the beetle.

What type of paint did they use to paint your car?

Getting an MOT later (before winter sets in) maybe a good idea. This would help take some of the pressure off trying to get a nova on the road with a tight deadline.

Cheers.
    Mostin.
    ďA plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrongĒ

Well done Islandman, great result. Not the first Nova to have engine troubles resulting from an empty fuel tank!! Been there my self, more than once.

If you want to see a rough paint job, come & see mine. Yours is concourse compared to mine.

See you & the car next year for Stones 2016

bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Quote Originally Posted by Mostin View Post
    What type of paint did they use to paint your car?
    It was 2K paint, done by the same guy Jim used and I don't think he suffered the same issues, maybe it's because of all my body modifications and resin and gel coat of different eras mixed

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    If you want to see a rough paint job, come & see mine. Yours is concourse compared to mine.

Cheers Bushboy. having said that your car covers in one week more miles than I would do in 2 years! So for pure enjoyment of driving you win hands down

Islandman, your cars looks awesome. It just inspires me, and I am sure others, to keep on going with their restoration. The undershot is of obvious interest to me with also using an Alfa engine. I like the style of exhaust and the frame support that you made.
    Will look forward to seeing the car in the flesh next year at Stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Islandman, your cars looks awesome. It just inspires me, and I am sure others, to keep on going with their restoration. The undershot is of obvious interest to me with also using an Alfa engine. I like the style of exhaust and the frame support that you made.
    Will look forward to seeing the car in the flesh next year at Stones.
    Actually it was you I thought of when I took the underside photo as we discussed the frame at Stones, I thought you would appreciate it and you did

OK so my first job was to sort out the wiring, one job I wasnít looking forward to. I had a number of strange symptoms that made me think my wiring had issues or was shorting across terminals etc :-

1) The car would not start based on the ignition key, but if the key was in position 2 and I pressed the remote start button in the engine bay it would
    2) The brake lights were permanently on
    3) The interior light switch didnít work and the canopy trigger switch for the lights also didnít do anything
    4) The key switch for the canopy would only work in the down direction and the up switch (interior and exterior) didnít work at all (which meant leads straight from the battery to the pump to get in!)

Overall I was thoroughly confused as the reason I started my rebuild in the first place over 20 years ago was due to electrical issues, which is what caused me to build a loom from scratch taking special care to crimp and solder every connection and wrap the entire loom in that thick plastic spiral wrapping to protect it.

So after slowly unwrapping key parts of the loom (a slow an painful process due to the spiral wrap) and lots of head scratching I was almost at the point I thought I would just give up and scrap the whole loom and build a new loom as it might be easier (using the thin wall wires that are now available). I slept on the issue over night as I was tired and frustrated, then in the morning with a clearer head and lots of testing with circuit testers etc.. they all turned out to be relatively simple issues and fixes, its just when they all happened together it made it seem far worse.

The causes were :-

1) The starter motor ignition wire had popped off its terminal (presumably at some point it was in the paint shop for 2 years)
    2) The master cylinder brake light switch was stuck on through lack of use. After repeatedly pressing the brake pedal many many times it behaved and the lights came on and off when pressed,
    3) The interior light switch which had been removed from its bezel before it went to the paint shop and had a huge build up of crud, dust and overspray on the terminals from being in the paint shop for so long (the side of the switch has a small opening which allowed it in). A quick clean of the switch interior and terminal clean with a dremel solved that.
    4) I had forgotten to remount and connect the hydraulic rams limit switch, and I had also forgotten I changed the wiring circuit to removed a switch (auto / manual) and hadnít updated my wiring diagrams to show that all circuits (interior switches and exterior keys) went via the limit switch for the up position.

So once all of that was sorted I felt so much better that all my effort 20 years ago wasnít in vain (having said that most of the loom was built with 3 different colour wires and the little number strips I had dutifully coded each wire with at various points had started to lose their stickiness and drop off, which didnít help matters!)

Then I moved on to the new jobs :
    1) wiring in the radio control canopy
    2) adding in the relay so the remote wonít be triggered if the engine is on an
    3) making provision for the alarm wire triggers
    4) rewiring the Kenlow radiator fan switch.
    5) Fitting new battery terminals

Iím afraid there is not much to see in terms of photos for wiring, but here is the finished wiring for the items above

Now that I have finally finished fitting everything in the bonnet area (except for the aircon pipes to the condenser) there is precious little space left for anything else. I had wanted to build a tool box space, but all thatís left is that tiny area to the left of the battery. I may at some point get round to it once I have nothing better to focus on.

I wanted to make a cover for the wiper motor. I had started last year using a block of high density foam, but carving it to match the exact surface of the canopy to have it cleanly mount wasn’t easy with so many contours at that area. So I figured I would use two part PU Foam instead to get an exact match.

The motor

So I built a cardboard and tape box to retain the foam.

Then I used some cable tie wraps at the points where the motor actually sat so when I cut back the foam I would know when to stop.

I mixed the liquid together, trying not to over estimate the amount needed (something I often do leading to way too much foam going everywhere )

Then poured and allowed to rise.

The foam engulfing the cable ties

Finished expanding (thankfully)

The final block which will be carved, shaped and covered in body filler before finally covering with fiberglass ( a project that I will take back to Singapore to finish)

I canít remember which thread but somewhere there was lots of discussion on louvre hinges. So seeing as I had my camera I took a couple of shots of mine, which may prove useful to somebody.

The hinges were off some production cars boot lid (canít remember which). They sort of allow an up and over movement

Having looked at the photos I must remember to take them off and repaint them next time Iím in the UK.

The gap when closed looks bigger in the photo than it really appears when looking at the car as a whole

When fully opened to the full extend of the gas rams it just misses touching the body in the centre section.