Page 51 of 101 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Nova & the unregistered one

Started doing all the little jobs that were outstanding on the blue Nova one by one while I ponder the next steps to fix the MOT steering rack issue.

1) I painted the front and rear wheel arches with Plastidip, I bought it some time ago and needed to use it before the shelf life was up!

2) I fitted the rear wheel spacers and studs. Which is when I realised that the drivers side wheel is close to the arch, but the passenger side isn’t! The spacers made this point very obvious. So it seems that when the body was mounted to the chassis it wasn’t lined up in the centre. This is a job I’m about to do on the brown Nova so now I realise how important it is to get right

3) I changed the radio remote control unit from the RF Solutions one to the Quasar one, purely because the Quasar one had a remote that you could slide a cover over to help prevent raising the roof by accident. An unnecessary expense but I figured it was better than unknowingly having the roof open without knowing it because buttons get pushed in your pocket. Luckily the same mounting holes could be used as I was loathed to start creating “Swiss cheese” again in the bonnet area.

4) I got the driver side sill mounted, I’m not entirely happy with it as because I had holes for roof limit switch, canopy light limit switch and holes for cables into the hinges, all of which meant I had no room for movement of the plate to align it to where I wanted it. The passenger side is much better and I will fix this on Sunday (photos will follow).

5) I decided that the Nova needed to breath more easily, so I gave it its nostrils back

Still need to glass in the ram mounts and bonnet catch mount, oh yeah and obviously paint it!

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    I am amazed at how much you can do in a day !
    Bonnet from poly creations, how was the fit, good or bad ?

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    I am amazed at how much you can do in a day !
    Bonnet from poly creations, how was the fit, good or bad ?
    Actually it was only half a day as I spent the morning in Halfords and B&Q buying stuff to take my other garage tomorrow

The bonnet fix is just OK, its no worse or better than the other smooth bonnet, or the original nostril bonnet.Gaps are bigger on one side than the other, and slightly higher on one side than the other. When I put the old one back on again it reminded me that they all are pretty much like that on what is and always will be an asymmetrical vehicle

The poly creations quality is quite good though and reasonably thick fibreglass.
    Last edited by islandman; 01-10-2016 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Actually it was only half a day as I spent the morning in Halfords and B&Q buying stuff to take my other garage tomorrow

The bonnet fix is just OK, its no worse or better than the other smooth bonnet, or the original nostril bonnet.Gaps are bigger on one side than the other, and slightly higher on one side than the other. When I put the old one back on again it reminded me that they all are pretty much like that on what is and always will be an symmetrical vehicle

The poly creations quality is quite good though and reasonably thick fibreglass.
    Heh, your (and other) comment about how the nova isn't symmetrical reminded me of a personal project, where, if I ever get the chance, I'd figure out how to create a 3d cutter/copier (pantograph style with a router style head), to cut 3d copy of one side of something out of some material (like wood as a base buck, for example), then, since its opposing side was wrecked or unusable, use a mirrored version of the above cutter to create a mirror of the good side... bond them together and presto, a symmetrical base/mould to work from In all honesty, I'm surprised I hadn't thought of a potential solution before and now I have, I'm kicking myself!

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Hi David,

A big curly tick from me on the nostrils! That's the only change I want to make to the body as part of my rebuild.

Your comment about symmetry has also explained why I found a hole worn in the passenger footwell when I stripped out the car .... but the driver's side was solid.

Sounds like you're in your element right now .... enjoy the rest of your time back in England

Cheers, Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    What is the width of the rims you have, mine are 7" and using this tyre size calculator it suggest the ideal width is 215, and max 225. http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/ty...dth-calculator

I erred on the side of caution but would have liked to have gone wider on the rear (for the look)
    Yes they are 7" and depending on which tyre calculator you use you get slightly different numbers 235 is probably on the limit but that's what I had on the old Nova and they are on the slot mags I have got, but they are old perished and don't hold air. I think when it comes to getting tyres I will just have to get slightly narrower ones.

Dirk
    '

I agree 100% the Nostril bonnets look so much better. I never understood why the series 2 did away with this styling feature
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I agree 100% the Nostril bonnets look so much better. I never understood why the series 2 did away with this styling feature
    I believe it was down to the difficulty of getting them out of the moulds and the scrap rate being too high so they developed a smooth version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are a bit of a pig to de-mould, so I can sort of believe that!
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

No real progress on anything yesterday as I was at the other garage with the brown Nova cleaning up mainly and taking measurements to help me decide what to do with the dash that is still sitting in Singapore. Had a couple for fellow Nova owners visit me at my garage (Dirk and Mark (aka Buffy) and rummage through my spare parts bin. All left happy with new toys. We also had a nice pub lunch together, it sort of reminded me somewhat of the Nova Club area group meets we use to have back in the early 90’s. I use to be the area representative at that time and would organise meet up once and a while.

Anyway today following on from my canopy electrics roof problems at Stoneleigh last year after a jet wash (my slow blow fuse blew and I couldn’t believe it but they didn’t sell them anywhere at the car show!) I decided to change things about. I ordered a couple of 60 amp circuit breakers to do away with the fuse issue on both cars. My 50 amp slow blow fuses go occasionally and as I plan to adjust the hydraulics pressure higher I went for a higher circuit breaker rating.

This is what the existing set-up looks like, four relays for the up/down circuit and one to disable the remote when the ignition is on.

This is the new set up, only 3 relays, two for up and down and one to disable the remote when the ignition is on (yes I know you can see four!, I have learnt my lesson and have put a spare in there now as I have more space)…got to plan for contingencies !

And just in case the circuit breaker plays up (you never know as I haven’t used them before and it did come from China) I have made up a circuit breaker bypass that will get me out of trouble if need be ( I keep this inside the lid).
    [
    URL=http://s713.photobucket.com/user/islandmanhere/media/2016-10-02%2011.57.39%20640x360_zpsze4cvdap.jpg.html][/URL]

And this is what it looks like all fitted with the cover on, easily accessible to reset if needed.

My next task was getting the bonnet ready for paint. I made up the ram mounting points out of aluminium welded to a plate using lumiweld (love that stuff). I then made up a steel plate and welded nut to it for the bonnet catch mounting point. Finally I glassed it all onto the bonnet