Page 73 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Nova & the unregistered one

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    . Talking of air bubbles I manged to finish getting the paint and filler of mine at the weekend and broke through the gel coat in lots of places where there were air holes in the fibreglass mainly on the edges of corners but when I had finished I jet washed the whole body and that broke through the gel coat in lots of places leaving even more pin holes.

Dirk
    im sort of hoping that if I can separate the mold carefully then I don't disturb areas where gaps exist beneath the gel coat, after all this is probably a one time use mold.

Well I couldn’t resist the temptation to pull the mold, I figured most of the parts had been done a long time ago with only the last piece being a couple of days old.

The sides and back popped off relatively easily, and surprisingly so did the top which surprised me. It turns out the area where the PVA pulled away wasn’t nearly as bad as I feared. I guess I filled enough gel coat and resin in to fill most of the void. It will still need some filling though.

The front sections however fought me every step of the way to get the mold off. The dash buck didn’t survive that well and bits that were basically fibreglass filler and bondo split in the process. One lesson I learnt was to make sure you cut back the mold right to the part, or even further shortening the part as these are the areas which clung on for dear life!

I have a few areas where air bubbles that were behind the gel coat caused the gel coat to break leaving voids, not too many though all though some bits are hard to get to in the narrow recesses.

So I have a question, how best to fill these areas and what to fill them with? Gel coat and sand it back? For some of them I was thinking of just using candle wax as this is probably a one time mold? Thoughts or ideas anyone?

Overall I pretty happy with the mold and the learning process, its far from perfect but could also have been a lot worse.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Gel coat air bubbles. Not my favourite things.
    One has just appeared on my drivers side sill on the edge of the air intake.
    It looks like a sink hole to me 😡

Candle wax should be fine for a one-use mould - it'll save doing more damage to the surrounding mould surface by sanding back filler... It works well for limiting flash lines in your joints too. Good luck with the next step!
    It's a 49 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Gel coat air bubbles. Not my favourite things.
    One has just appeared on my drivers side sill on the edge of the air intake.
    It looks like a sink hole to me ��
    I feel your pain, especially so fresh out of paint to a surface that initially looked immaculate. I had similar issues with mine, it looked great when I collected it but then over time the black undercoat layer started to bleach through to the blue top coat in places, plus body repairs that were previously smooth and unseen can now be seen again around the pop-up headlights. It's a real bummer that fibreglass really is alive and never truly sets, its always on the move over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    Candle wax should be fine for a one-use mould - it'll save doing more damage to the surrounding mould surface by sanding back filler... It works well for limiting flash lines in your joints too. Good luck with the next step!
    I'm definitely erring towards that solution, just wanted to get all inputs and perspectives in before I commit to that method. This method is what I have always used on the mold joins and as you say that does work well.

I hate GRP and I wish there was an easy, none messy alternative as I have some great ideas but I am put off by the thought of all that GRP, bucks, moulds, etc. yuk!
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    I feel your pain, especially so fresh out of paint to a surface that initially looked immaculate. I had similar issues with mine, it looked great when I collected it but then over time the black undercoat layer started to bleach through to the blue top coat in places, plus body repairs that were previously smooth and unseen can now be seen again around the pop-up headlights. It's a real bummer that fibreglass really is alive and never truly sets, its always on the move over time.
    Chaps- Newbie question, but will going the wrap option as opposed to paint, be a way to minimise problems with grp blemishes etc?

Cheers,

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
    Chaps- Newbie question, but will going the wrap option as opposed to paint, be a way to minimise problems with grp blemishes etc?

Cheers,

Colin
    Sadly, the blemishes that the wrap might hide would have to be very minor, otherwise they'll just ruin the new finish....
    It's a 49 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    I'm definitely erring towards that solution, just wanted to get all inputs and perspectives in before I commit to that method. This method is what I have always used on the mold joins and as you say that does work well.

I think I would go down that route gel coat doesn't cure too well when exposed to the air it can remain tacky for a long time and as Alex says you would potential have problems around the area with sanding, I would use laminating resin and put down a couple of layers of tissue over the gel coat first when you come to make the part.

Dirk