Page 78 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Nova & the unregistered one

Even bare, straight from the mould, looks the biz!
    Cheers
    Colin

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    It's looking absolutely fab David. Really professional.

I suspect that once you've got it fitted in place you're going to get requests (ie paid orders!) for further ones. Maybe you should bring the moulds in your checked luggage too?

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    It looks stunning well done you Wouldn't you be better of crating it and sending it back home by sea? at least that way you know you could package it better rather than taking it on the plane and risk it being damaged?

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
    Now you just need to get back here somehow !!!
    Somewhat ironically it’s annoying that I got it done before the show as I could have taken it to the UK if I had been able to travel.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinB View Post
    Will it need careful protection if taking as checked luggage?
    I have a plan….see below

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    I suspect that once you've got it fitted in place you're going to get requests (ie paid orders!) for further ones. Maybe you should bring the moulds in your checked luggage too? [IMG]file://localhost/Volumes/Mac%20Pro%20Disk%203%20-%20User%20Files/Users/davidskinner/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/msoclip/0clip_image002.gif[/IMG]

Alistair
    From a helping out perspective I would like to make it for others, but from a practical perspective each one will still take probably over 100 hours from start to finish so no one would ever pay what it really costs me so its not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Wouldn't you be better of crating it and sending it back home by sea? at least that way you know you could package it better rather than taking it on the plane and risk it being damaged?

Dirk
    I actually crated and sent the Mark 4 dash from the UK to Singapore, another learning experience! You pay one price to send, then when you receive it you have to deal with shipping forwarding companies and customs etc.. and then pay more than you did to send it in the first place.

So I am trying to avoid a repeat of that, hence the plan for checked luggage, even if I have to pay a bit for excess weight. As for protecting it my current plan (which could change) to keep the weight down and protect it at the same time is to use expanding foam. I will place the dash in a plastic back and suck the air out. Then use 2 part expanding foam to engulf the dash on the top and bottom. I plan to do this as two pours separated by plastic, so theatrically I can just lift them off. I will trim the foam to keep the dimensions to a minimum and then wrap it in cardboard to keep the weight down. The foam once set is pretty tough stuff and should shield it from being crushed and any impacts.

I’m open to other ideas if anyone has any that may work?

Excellent work Dave, very impressive.

A man of your means could hire a private plane and fly it back to the UK. Also means you can sit next to it whilst enjoying a glass of Champagne........

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy View Post
    Excellent work Dave, very impressive.

A man of your means could hire a private plane and fly it back to the UK. Also means you can sit next to it whilst enjoying a glass of Champagne........
    LOL....I have no means right now, I took a 6 months sabbatical and planned to start working again in January, but the wife's accident put pay to that and now the funds are disappearing fast

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post

I have a plan….see below

I actually crated and sent the Mark 4 dash from the UK to Singapore, another learning experience! You pay one price to send, then when you receive it you have to deal with shipping forwarding companies and customs etc.. and then pay more than you did to send it in the first place.

So I am trying to avoid a repeat of that, hence the plan for checked luggage, even if I have to pay a bit for excess weight. As for protecting it my current plan (which could change) to keep the weight down and protect it at the same time is to use expanding foam. I will place the dash in a plastic back and suck the air out. Then use 2 part expanding foam to engulf the dash on the top and bottom. I plan to do this as two pours separated by plastic, so theatrically I can just lift them off. I will trim the foam to keep the dimensions to a minimum and then wrap it in cardboard to keep the weight down. The foam once set is pretty tough stuff and should shield it from being crushed and any impacts.

I’m open to other ideas if anyone has any that may work?
    Sounds like a good plan, When I was buying parts for the helicopter from the US that's how they packed them but not in two parts, they put the items in a bag, put foam in the bottom of a cardboard box put the items on the foam and then filled the box with more foam. No need to suck the air out as the compression of the foam will do that any trapped air just becomes another cushion. I think they must have had some support for the cardboard boxes to stop the foam from splitting the box.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Sounds like a good plan, When I was buying parts for the helicopter from the US that's how they packed them but not in two parts, they put the items in a bag, put foam in the bottom of a cardboard box put the items on the foam and then filled the box with more foam. No need to suck the air out as the compression of the foam will do that any trapped air just becomes another cushion. I think they must have had some support for the cardboard boxes to stop the foam from splitting the box.

Dirk

Will give it a try once I finish the last few little jobs, planning to trim the binnacle insert today, make the gauge mounts and make the passenger vent duct.

Well the dash is pretty much done, well as much as I can do without the car. The day was spent making the mounting for the gauges, passenger side vent duct and altering the plastic binnacle insert to change the angle of the gauges so it won’t interfere with the steering column (in theory!). Most annoyingly the little plastic ABS tabs on the passenger vent both broke off during manipulation. This meant I had to find alternative fixing mechanisms and make up some fiberglass pieces and use bolts. It fitted ok in the end but took much longer than necessary.

So this is what the underside looks like now, I will have to wait till its back in the UK to figure out ducting from the HVAC to the vent ducting.

It doesn’t look much different from the front other than the final gauges are now mounted and the angle changed. In the bottom right of this picture you can see what was cut out of the plastic binnacle insert to change the angle.

Next job is to make of the cardboard box and 2 part foam packing ready for transportation.

What can I say but....
    Top work mate