Page 138 of 140 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140 LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 1396

Thread: Nic's Sterling CCC #416

Work on MY car has been slow. But I finally have one problem out of the way. The cracked windshield. I bought CCC 275 yesterday for the windshield. The entire body, panels, dash, inside pods, interior vinyl trim, etc for $500.

Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    An absolute bargain Nic! No excuses now re progress!
    Alistair

Well, more than 6 months later... and the Orange car is still right where I left her, but covered and protected from the elements. It's "rainy season" or as close to that as we get in California Bay Area. We are currently sheltering in place, lucky for my wife and I we can work from home. Concerning factor is we both work for the same company, although we have been reassured the company is financially sound.

Anyway, a little bit of work has been happening. I've swapped out the projector lenses, pretty sure they won't pass inspection despite how much I would want them to. I have upgraded to LED headlights though. It's amazing how much they've come down in cost in the last 5 years from $300/set to $80/set. I bought a set with DRL and Amber ring in one. I've also tidied up some of the wiring and ran smaller gauge wire to a few locations, the original 12 gauge I ran is complete overkill and sometimes difficult to manage.

One thing I'm not real happy about is how center to the car the headlights are. So, once again I'm making more changes. I beveled the edges on the backside of the headlight bucket, wrapped fiberboard in foil and glassed away.

I'm not sure how far I'll move them towards the outside, but have an inch or so to play with.

One thing I'm curious about is how you all attached your headlights. There seems to be about 8-10mm of space around the outside of the VW headlight ring for mounting. I was thinking about welding some tabs to the edges of the ring to give me more secure mounting options, perhaps with some of the riv-nuts I have.

Another things is the heater bits. The local hardware store ( ACE for those of us in the US) sells this 20' of 2" Craftsman hose for a decent price. It fits nice and snug inside a 2" ABS elbow adapter when you push it all the way in. Long term I think it'll hold without any additional fastening.

Now, while that's nice and all, there remains the size difference between the original style vents I have an the 2" ABS adapter. A little CAD work and 3D printer to the rescue. I've printed a part the slips over the outside of the vent and inside the 2" adapter. It's taken a few revisions, pictured below is V2, as I'm typing V3 is printing. The butterfly valves/wings inside the vent are fouling the inside of the adapter. In about 5 hours V3 should be done and I can fit it up and hopefully no more revisions. If anyone is interested I've posted it to Thingverse - https://www.thingiverse.com/quikniq/designs - There are a few other things you might find handy as well; zip tie mounts, 15 pin molex bulkhead mount, etc.

Stay safe and stay healthy gang.
    Last edited by Nic; 29-03-2020 at 08:17 PM.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    CCC Sterling # 416

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Looking good, I like your barrel connector are there internal locating points for the barbs on the pins?

Dirk

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Nice update and good to see things ticking along;
    You are spot on about over-engineered wiring - guilty as charged :-(

I like the Halo headlights, tread carefully when moving them to the side(s) though,
    a while ago someone on the forum posted that the light 'spread' can be part-blocked by the outer wall of the headlamp recess - if you go too far over.

Loving the 3D print stuff as well, good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Looking good, I like your barrel connector are there internal locating points for the barbs on the pins?

Dirk
    To be honest, I can't recall, but I know the pins do need to be locked into place so I believe I accounted for them.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    CCC Sterling # 416

Great work and how handy that 3D printer is.
    What amazes me most is.. the grass growth! Great looking lawn.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    I have been watching those LED lights for a while now, there seems to be quite a lot of variation in performance vs. price, but your ones appear to be the same as the OEM ones used on some models of Jeep.

Were you not tempted by the 8 x 6" rectangular version? I would have thought that would have fitted very neatly into the factory headlamp bucket, and with integral indicator and DRL you wouldn't need to fit any other lights around it.

As an aside for my UK colleagues, unfortunately these LED lights are not "E" marked so are technically not legal for road use here.

And yes, I know that we have left the EU now, but in the absence of new legislation the authorities are sticking with EU standards for the moment...
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Hi Lauren, from a aesthetics stand point I prefer the round headlight look. I want to move the headlights out so I have more room to build another/better headlight bucket wall next to the boot lid. I really only need another half to full inch of room. I do believer these ARE Jeep headlights. I had to modify the basket a little to clearance for a little nub that comes off the back of the headlight.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    CCC Sterling # 416

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    Hi Lauren, from a aesthetics stand point I prefer the round headlight look
    That's fair enough - all factory Sterlings were produced with 7" circular lights anyway.
    only Pythagoras can save me now!