Page 135 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 1372

Thread: Nic's Sterling CCC #416

How about working vents or louvres into it? I have added metal-mesh vent holes to both my cars as it always seems hot under the cover, plus they add a bit of interest to an otherwise boring panel....
    It's a 50 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

That's the plan once the part is pulled. I was thinking some oval vents front and back of the lid to help with fresh airflow. Otherwise it's just sucking in HOT air.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

Just a little update; a picture I forgot to take a few days ago of the auto/boat weather seal I picked up at ACE Hardware. I chose this because its cross section is rectangular, one side is stick and the non-sticky side has 4 ridges or ribs on it. Applying was easy but poking holes in it to get the screws through was an involved process. I ended up using a leather hole punch tool and an exacto blade to get holes big enough so the screws didn't grab hold and twist the seal as the screws were tightened. I also realized I need to make the bolt flange much thicker since this bows in when the screws are tightened.

On another note: I received 50 more of the 10-24 screws, but with a flanged head this time, and more aluminum nut-serts so I can replace more of the screws I used in the rest of the body. Also delivered was the not-so-wide weather seal I want to try using for the side windows. I hope to get to all of that tonight and make updates tomorrow.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    CCC Sterling # 416

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Good work Nic - plenty of inspiration for my window seals there. I'm looking forward to more updates!
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    Just a little update; a picture I forgot to take a few days ago of the auto/boat weather seal I picked up at ACE Hardware. I chose this because its cross section is rectangular, one side is stick and the non-sticky side has 4 ridges or ribs on it. Applying was easy but poking holes in it to get the screws through was an involved process. I ended up using a leather hole punch tool and an exacto blade to get holes big enough so the screws didn't grab hold and twist the seal as the screws were tightened. I also realized I need to make the bolt flange much thicker since this bows in when the screws are tightened.

On another note: I received 50 more of the 10-24 screws, but with a flanged head this time, and more aluminum nut-serts so I can replace more of the screws I used in the rest of the body. Also delivered was the not-so-wide weather seal I want to try using for the side windows. I hope to get to all of that tonight and make updates tomorrow.
    Use a soldering iron or red hot nail for holes, a smear of lub' on the screws stops them 'grabbing'.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Hi Peter, I actually tried the soldering iron trick but it wasn't burning a large enough hole. I didn't think about a greasing the bolts a little, or greasing the holes. I'll keep it in mind for next time.

Updates from last night. I received my the new box of bolts, nut-serts and window seal. I replaced more of the screws and used the nut-serts instead. I even used them for the pop out window hinge that attaches to the canopy. Although i did have a minor disaster with one of them. As I was setting the first one on the passenger side, the machine screw snapped off in the nut-sert, so now I have to figure out how to get that out, or just drill the whole thing out and insert another. This is probably my best option.

I removed the original thicker window seal I had staged with tape, and staged the new thinner one.
    As a reminder comparison, the original thicker seal at 3/4" Wide, 17/32" High.

The new thinner seal at 3/8" Wide, 7/32" High

As you can see there is more of the window frame you can see with the thinner seal, as expected. I think it's too much and I don't think it would seal well. Then I noticed the coiled up remains of the seal I used on the back window and tried that in window frame. I didn't get a great shot of it, but I think I like this one better than thicker and thinner. It seems to be the right dimensions AND it's available locally vs online order.

Cross section of the seal

And finally, just a little half walk-around of the car.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    CCC Sterling # 416

I'm hoping that exhaust is temporary Just doesn't go with the rest of the sleek look on your car

Also just curious, did you stick with the perspex / LED strip sandwiched between the body and the side panels. Any photo of it lit up and night ?

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, experimentation, trial-and-error, I guess that's why these cars are so difficult to get roadworthy,
    keep up the good work, this is going to be a top-end build.
    Nice to see those rear lights in action as well

Hi David... I sure as sh!t did!

I need to revisit the implementation though, I'm not happy with the way I did it. The exhaust is temporary. I want to keep the same exhaust but have 2 ideas.

One, cut the pipes in 2 places; just as it exits the resonance chambers (we call those Cherry Bomb's in the states) and another cut in the middle of the U bend. Then rotate those sections "UP" essentially raising the tail pipes exit position to be just under the body. That's the easy option.

The other option, and I haven't looked all that close to determine if it's even feasible, is to cut the 4 into 10 collector, rotate it UP 90 degrees, then cut the pipes at the exit of the cherry bomb and rotate it level with the ground.

Of course, I am open to other ideas and opinions.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    CCC Sterling # 416

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    I'm kinda starting to see what you guys mean by the top being too flat. I'm open to suggestions for a Mk II option.
    Sorry I haven't posted any ideas Nic.
    With school being out I have all grand kids and after they get picked up I work on the hood/bonnet project.

It irritates me when people say they don't like something but don't offer any solutions.

If still interested I can find some time this weekend and post some suggestions if you want.