Page 134 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 1466

Thread: Nic's Sterling CCC #416

That’s looking really nice, well done.
    I think Jim created his own form of hidden hinge for his engine lid, but it depends on whether you are looking for hidden or shown.

Thanks. I'd settle for an aesthetically pleasing and functional hinge. Hidden or otherwise. I'd prefer not to use the piano hinge it came with.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l61/quikniq/
    CCC Sterling # 416

Nic, nice bit of creativity in making your own engine lid. My only comment really is that the Top flat section just doesn’t look right to me. Pretty much the whole car is curved in some shape or form in an organic fashion. Even that new engine lid, except the top flat section which just looks outta place somehow.

Not trying to be critical just an observation (inspired by Brett’s comment saying people keep quiet when they don’t like something , so I figured I’ll break the trend)

I do like the rear lights though, I think once painted they will look really cool

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Very clear explanation, thanks.
    WRT the side windows (which appear to pop open at the rear for ventilation, correct?)
    can you post a picture from the inside of the canopy please?
    (I'd like to see the clips used to secure the glass.)
    Is the foam rubber a simple square or oblong section, or a more complex design?

I know you've dabbled in 3D print; The top of that engine cover might be a good spot for a 3D printed vent, designed to let air out of the engine bay (and nothing else in). Just a thought ;-)

That engine cover is something along the lines of the SS, (not sure about Cimbria) and the vent works well.
    Main difference is the lid on the SS covers the whole of the rear including any filler that might be there, I feel the larger area gives more scope for styling.
    I also have an oil cooler in the rear deck that is under it.

Simple pivots on the front sides flange with nylon 'top hat and washer' bushes is what I have and a couple of furniture gas struts. KISS.
    Brake light long shot.JPGEngine 800.jpg

Each unto their own.
    Last edited by Peter; 18-06-2019 at 10:58 AM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    Brett, this is all your fault by the way.
    Minion.jpeg

Sorry Nic My bad

Not that you asked but I'm with David,

It doesn't look right for the car.

Sometime in the future I'm going to have to build an engine cover also.

I kind of like the rear cover of the Vector Super Car. Just need to scale it down to fit the Sterling. It also has side windows like the Sterling so maybe we can take a lesson on how to have side window vents.

Thanks for the input gang. I was trying to keep the engine cover "similar" to the stock cover, but not so much of a brick shape and little more streamlined and low profile. Perhaps the pictures aren't doing it justice, or just the unfinished nature of it. I'm going to stick with it for now, but the good news is, it's easy? to make something different if I don't like the way this comes out or starts to look as I progress further.

With that being said, I replenished my resin supply during lunch yesterday and got a single layer of fiberglass laid on the underside last night.

Steve, WRT to the side window seal, this is what I ordered, Style E. I have the standard style Z spring steel clips on the inside.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/125/3613
    Thanks,

Nic.
    CCC Sterling # 416

I think it's very healthy for contributers on any forum to feel able to give their honest opinion on anything, provided it is done in a tactful manner. Islandman's comment is a great example. Obviously if one vehemently dislikes something then it can be best not commenting at all.

I am struggling to visualise what your engine cover will look like so am looking forward to the finished item, all painted up. I'm sure it will look great going by your explanation of the design. You are certainly putting in a massive effort with customising your nova and I'm enjoying seeing all the ideas you have come up with to create everything, like the wooden dowels as props. It just goes to show how badly the nova was engineered as we all need to go over and above to get things done properly, or of course just to demonstrate our own personalisation.

I've been watching the rear tunnel modification with interest, especially as this is something on my to-do list. I've actuall been putting it off. If I'm right in understanding that you will have two separate panes of glass/perspex either bonded or using a seal, have you considered how you will clean the sides of both windows that face the void above the gearbox/petrol tank? You won't be able to and they are sure to get filthy over time. This may be why the original nova was designed to have the tunnel design with one pane of glass/perspex that can be cleaned on both sides - from the inside and outside.

Assuming you hit me with a brilliant answer or solution to my cleaning observation, have you considered making duplicate rear tunnels for other members to buy?

Great work - keep it up!
    Last edited by NovaF4; 22-06-2019 at 01:06 AM.

I also agree. Respectful discussion is healthy in any setting.

Regarding keeping the insides of the windows clean, that did cross my mind and is one of the reasons I've opted to not bond the tunnels in. If they get dirty really fast then I'll have to consider making some sort of full enclosure tunnel for them. Or I'll just be removing one often to clean the insides of both glass. Speaking of removing, I received my order of threaded inserts on Monday night courtesy of McMaster - https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/125/3424 - and the insert tool. I ordered the 10-24 @ 3/4" length black oxide SS hex head screws to accompany. I installed all of them for the interior window Monday night. I'm going to have to put a seal between the back of the tunnel piece and the body though, too much of a gap is showing. I have a bunch of EVA foam that might work really well.
    No pictures yet, sorry.

I think I might go with this option for installing the glass, it'll leave a nicer finish. https://www.mcmaster.com/door-weatherstripping
    Also, I could have gone with this option without making the tunnels inserts like I have, but then it would make it more difficult to get into remove them for cleaning.

No, on to the engine cover... I have to admit I could be suffering from self-delusions in the "All parents think their child is beautiful" regards. I hope not though. I got one layer of CSM Monday night and will hopefully get another, maybe 2 tonight. Perhaps by the end of the week (more like weekend) I'll have something more "finished" to show and hopefully I won't still be the only one thinking and ugly child is beautiful.
    Thanks,

Nic.
    CCC Sterling # 416

I'm kinda starting to see what you guys mean by the top being too flat. I'm open to suggestions for a Mk II option.

I got another layer of fiberglass down on Friday night. Didn't get much done on Saturday as we went into San Francisco for most of the day. However yesterday I got a decent amount finished. I used the remaining 10 nut-serts to replace the standard screws I used to secure the speaker panels and the rear section of the arm rest. Then realized I could use them in lots of other places and ordered another batch of nut-serts and a box of 25 10/24 screws with an integrated washer to replace the one's in the rear window tunnels and speaker panels. I can re-use the screws I take out elsewhere.

I got a good layer of body filler on the engine cover last night.

Thanks,

Nic.
    CCC Sterling # 416