Page 87 of 89 FirstFirst ... 37778586878889 LastLast

Thread: Peter's Eagle SS

Finally got the BMW E30 back together and running sweet although still has a mystery lose of coolant

So despite using twice the fuel of the Merc A170 (that is stuck in 2nd gear) I should be able to get to the shed more often now. That is when it is not pissing down as it is, the weather here is really bad.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Good news is the BMW E30 is up and running again, first trip highlighted a coolant lose which turned out to be the heater pipe at the back of the block, total sod to get to but a temp one at the moment and a new one on the way from the states. Now I have no excuses about going to the -shed- next week.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

FINALLY! A whole day in the shed, or at least a long afternoon.
    Got the shroud/alternator off which is quite easy and allowed disconnection of the oil cooler and breather simple and then the four bolt/nuts to split the engine away from the gearbox, also easy as I have the gantry and yes, the body does take the weight.

The Polyurethane mounts, all three, completely disintegrated leaving just the bolts.
    All the old stuff has been removed and new OEM mounts ready to fit. The originals were still OK in 1995 after being there since 1966 so I think I made a bad decision back then, I only hope there is not a similar disintegration of the suspension bushes, I will have to check later, one job at a time, (for a change).

I will be knocking out the remaining fixed M10 stud on the chassis and replacing with another bolt, (one already done in 1995 due to damaged threads so only one to do, don't understand why VW didn't do it that way in the first place). this will make it a lot easier to slip the new nose mounting in without having to remove the engine completely and disconnect the shift rod as I can get 5cm rearward movement with it all connected.

Last edited by Peter; 14-12-2019 at 02:00 PM.

My god I'm stiff all over! Lying on my crawler under the car doing the mountings was not fun and this morning I was so stiff and aching all over. Might have something to do with my 74th birthday on the 31st.

The front mounts were not too bad, able to move engine away from gearbox using the hoist I could get to the inside nuts and with a bent 13mm ring spanner, ( didn't have a 'crows foot' and I don't think it would have got in there anyway). I managed to get the nuts tight.

The nose mount is proving to be a sod, after reconnecting the engine to the gearbox I had to undo the rod as the connection block was hitting the rear of the chassis, this may not sound too much work BUT it meant removing the arm rest which meant removing the big amp above it but still being stubborn in moving back enough so now I have to unbolt the bracket holding the clutch pipe to the gearbox as the hydraulic pipe is hold things back. One thing leading to another but I think with a bottle jack under the gearbox nose I can squeeze the mounting in.
    IMG_20191227_160730.jpg

Whilst I am under the rear I can tidy up the ravages of time, freshen up the red enamel and any other areas that have suffered from oil, fluids, etc over the years. Luckily no rust, we don't do rust down here, probably why there are so many old cars and bikes about, apart from the facts they are better built and we can't afford a new one although I have said if I am permitted to continue to drive and I can afford it, my next car will certainly be 100% electric. NO, not a Nova EV. although my dream car would be a Norega GS Moon in white with alloy chassis Citroen hydro-pneumatic suspension and 100% EV.

I can't remember why the gantry extends a foot past the rear upright but I have hit my head so many times it has to go.
    Last edited by Peter; 06-01-2020 at 01:01 PM.

Good news for everyone! For my birthday one of my clients, the ones with the Range Rover, gave me a bottle of Jack Daniels so my posts should improve for the foreseeable future. chin-chin.

Damn Peter, I hope I'm still as active as you at 74 building cars

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Damn Peter, I hope I'm still as active as you at 74 building cars
    Just happy to still be about, let alone active,

Just a quickie to say I am still about but not much done on the SS apart from the elastic net pockets are ready to fit to the door cards, only 4" x 6" but useful. The larger ones I bought earlier will go behind the seats.
    door pockets.jpg

Weather is really bad at the moment as well as load of work, painting all of a LARGE three bed apartment over a week plus DIY stuff to follow.

Got the BMW sorted and the kick down right, only problem now is GRIP!, the rear tyres are so old and hard I get wheel spin and drift, I have to buy new ones.€€€
    Last edited by Peter; 26-01-2020 at 03:02 PM.

Very sad day and another obstruction to working on the SS
    Some stupid bugger pulled onto the main A7 right in front of the BMW doing 75Kph, I hit the brakes but with only 10 meters warning I couldn't help but smack her nice new Hyundai Korna up the rear.
    So, Blanca is in repair shop for bonnet, R wing, center bumper,(chrome), plastic center panel, indicators, Right headlight, inner. right grill, under valance, under tray (good luck finding whats left of that!) bumper support etc.
    Big problem now is arguing with the 'perito' Assessor, regards book price for a 1987 320i (500€) and market value (3800€) for the classic car.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Urrrgh! Sorry to hear that man.
    Are parts available for a 1978 car?