Page 74 of 75 FirstFirst ... 246472737475 LastLast

Thread: Peter's Eagle SS

What have I been up to lately? Nothing! Tried working full time in a garage but crippled myself, so much pain you wouldn't believe it, only changed the clutch and a couple of cylinder heads in classic mini's and a steering rack and column but I can hardly move. I think at 72 I should give up the idea of trying to be a garage mechanic. it's a younger mans game, anyway I am too big, even after loosing 40Lbs, to get under the dash of most modern cars, let alone a mini.

So lots of Eagle time one would think but no, I still have to earn something, somehow, as the UK pension is pathetic and at $945 a month just pays the rent.

When I have the time, no money. When I have the money, no time.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Peter,

Most of us find that we have a period of good progress and then sadly it all goes flat again. Don't lose heart. Your Eagle is almost there ... If things are difficult for you just now, have you thought about paying someone to finish it off (even as a series of small jobs as funds allow).

If I was retired, and you asked me out for a few weeks in the sun to work on your car for you, I'd jump at the chance. Sadly I'm not .... but maybe others on the Forum might be?

Best of luck Peter ... One step at a time and all that!

Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 05-05-2018 at 12:15 AM.

I wish I could pay someone to do some of the work but ,,,,, no money, plenty of time.

I think I will concentrate on getting the engine tuned in, that way I can at least sit in it and listen to the potential. Get back to the pretty bits later.
    Last edited by Peter; 10-07-2018 at 10:29 AM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

Finally got around to removing the front left wheel and taking out the VW to Smith's speedo cable so I can fit the sensor for the digi-dash from the Astra GTe,

I was thinking of a bracket on the caliper mount but as it happens there is a hole in the front of the upright where the disc shield fitted so out with a 12mm bit and perfect job.

Just need to make a disc with an internal size to fit the hub and 25 teeth and screw it to the four ribs on the hub.

Sensor installed

Bracket for the radial caliper, the 10mm stainless steel allen bolts go right into the alloy, the centre one all the way through.

The front hub conveniently has four ribs to which I can fix the 25 tooth 14.40 ring.

Also today;
    Took the pedal box off and found the two 3/4" masters for the front and rear brakes seized solid, The fluid was more like oil after so long too. after a liberal dose of lub' they came apart and as I suspected, after all this time the bores were scored and the seals rock hard, so I am hoping a seal kit for the rears and I am thinking of going bigger bore for the fronts as I have upgraded the calipers to 4 pot Wilwoods.I will have to calculate the capacity of the two systems, (8 x 2.46 sqr" V 2 x ?sqr")"

Also 'reformed' the clutch pedal 1" to the left for more room and welded an extra piece to the back of the throttle pedal ready to make that a curved one to clear the cable for the bias control so I will have a dash mounted knob to adjust the brake bias. It meant stripping the bias assembly so I could drill a 3mm hole in the end and then a 4mm grub screw to secure what was the Speedo cable.

Last edited by Peter; 10-07-2018 at 01:51 PM.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Peter
    Glad to know that you have had time to work on the eagle.
    On day it may feel the tarmac , just like mine ! 😂

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Like the caliper brackets -nice.
    Looking very clean in there

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I think at 72 I should give up the idea of trying to be a garage mechanic. it's a younger mans game
    Well it looks like you are in a nice part of Spain! Do you have a spare room to do B+B to bring in a few extra quid? Air B+B or something!

Hopefully you can crack on with all the small jobs that require time not money, and get those polished off.

Just noticed in updating my profile it will be exactly 10 YEARS since I started this thread, WOW!

On a downside, I have tried local factors for 3/4" Girling seals and have been greeted with stupidity, Ah well, there is always on-line I guess.
    Last edited by Peter; 10-07-2018 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John90 View Post
    Well it looks like you are in a nice part of Spain! Do you have a spare room to do B+B to bring in a few extra quid? Air B+B or something!

Hopefully you can crack on with all the small jobs that require time not money, and get those polished off.
    That's the idea. I have the door cards to do, the wiring for the speedo sensor and the disc for same. Just need a 90mm x 2mm mild steel disc, I'll try local fabricators, they usually throw bits of scrap at me when I ask.
    Fabricate SS fittings for the dash pods and fit the door rubbers which includes the headlining and front panel trim, the one thing I have the material for is the 1.5mm stainless steel sheet for the door sill panels, so only to make cardboard templates and burn out a couple of SS cutting discs.
    About the only thing that will cost me real money will be the material for trimming the door cards.

Quote Originally Posted by John90 View Post

I have a whole three bedroom house empty as I cannot use the stairs every day,(no knees) and it is tied up in legal crap so I can't rent it either and at 1,345€ (plus 125€ community plus 100€ council tax,) a month I can't pay the mortgage either. more problems. not to mention it has a large double garage underneath and I am paying 150€ a month for my workshop/garage/storage which pisses me right off and it is also 40Km away, so not a trip I do every day as it costs 10€ in gas.

But on the upside, it is a great place to live. Spain is wasted on the Spanish.
    Last edited by Peter; 10-07-2018 at 11:16 AM.