Page 89 of 92 FirstFirst ... 39798788899091 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter's Eagle SS

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Not ideal but at least you’ll keep possession and get her back on the road. Take lots of photos for any future potential buyer so that they’re not scared off by the ‘write off’ statement ... there again, just ignore that coz I know you’ll never sell her!

Managed to 'have my cake and eat it', or is it, 'eat may cake and have it'?

Insurance has paid up 1038€, already in the bank as a write off BUT it has not gone on any record and my current insurance continues as if nothing happened. . They don't have classifications of "write off" as in UK.

Went to our one and only scrap yard and lo and behold they had one E30, an early 318 2dr facelift model in blue, so wings didn't have the indicator repeaters in, same as per-facelift, so Bonnet, right wing, right headlights complete with mounting and grill, for 150€ and I can buy a chrome center section bumper for 120€ leaving about 700€ for paint and bit and bobs like 20€ for the two bumper inserts .

A very good dashboard on Ebay for 150 quid (I hope, bid is in), that will find it's way down here as the guy lives in France and his brother in SE Spain. Under tray is the problem, a couple in the UK but collection only, both in the South East, (Bucks and Surrey) will not send.

I have spent an afternoon in the 'shed' getting the SS for it's move outside, gathering up all the bits and cleaning away all the crap so I can get that into a parking bay across the way in the underground and the BMW in, just for a month or less, depends on paint and parts availability.

Then of course other stuff awaits, Corsa B needs a crank seal and Mercedes the Automatic box repairing.
    Last edited by Peter; 23-02-2020 at 02:56 PM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Now that’s a result Peter!!

Happy days, enjoy getting her back on the road again soon!

Alistair

Thanks Alister, I am tying, just have to wait on parts now.

Bit worse than I thought, radiator support is badly damaged where headlight fits with bends at chassis leg, inner wing. a second hand frame cut from a E30 is on it's way from Latvia so I can replace the damaged section, Just debating with myself if to replace the whole frame or just the right side.

This is the worst bit, box section as well so very difficult to get it square again. BIG dent isn't supposed to be there. that is AFTER I have had a go at it too.

This bracket on the inner wing was flat to the upright and I managed to get it back in shape, kinda, just needs squaring up now to no need to replace that section.

Front Mtech valance just went back into shape with heat gun so that saved 3oo€ and the s/h bonnet, wing and complete headlight unit cost me 125€, saving over 500€ Bumper center section is toast so 130€ for a new one. replacement indicators and right bumper was already in garage awaiting fitting and a new radiator arrived days before the accident.

Front panel/valance will need some attention as it is a bit bent and the right bracket is a mess but fixable, at over 100€ it needs to be.

plenty of time now to prep bonnet and wing for primer and paint as I wait for parts from Latvia, Lithuania, Germany, China and UK. about 560€ so I was ble to buy a boot tidy and dashboard (mine is cracked t hell) with the insurance money.

Poor old Ukhozi is opposite garage for the duration-

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

Poor Ukhozi. kicked out after all these years, sham it wasn't ready to drive but only just got main engine/gearbox back in.
    IMG_20200225_120358.jpg
    Last edited by Peter; 28-02-2020 at 02:24 PM.

I know but,,,, Learning a lot about metal work doing this repair (and my limitations) and some of it is relevant, kinda.

Found that trying to weld thin sheet, AKA body panels, with a stick welder is useless under 2mm thick, even on lowest setting it just blows holes in it. So I will have to hire or buy (80€) a MIG welder that is good for 0-2mm sheet as I need to weld the upright, inner wing and slam panel really well so I can sand them down flush to an invisible finish for primer and paint, also grind down and re-do the mess I already made.
    I remember back in 1998 I built a Baja bug for my daughter when she got into Cardiff uni' and I did quite well with MIG /Co2 (from local pub) until the grumpy neighbor complained, (even grumpier than me if you can believe it) and I had to have it finished and painted by 'Bugs and Buses' in Gloucester, did a great job in Ford Sierra red too.

As far as the job goes I decided to cut and shut the right corner from the bonnet hinge to below the chassis leg ans a bit of the inner wing, (mistake) and same from donor part plus a few mm to trim to size, managed quite well considering it's my first attempt other than the VW floor pan in 1995.

All parts apart from front grill are here now, managed to waste 25€ ordering bumper bolt covers as they come in the complete bumper fitting kit as well but Ebay will have a couple of more items soon.

first fix.jpg

Panel bashing; I managed to get 90% of the dents out and rust ground out so ready for a little filler and sanding on bonnet (it is bloody HUGE!) and right wing.

Wish I had persevered with the original bonnet now, it would actually have been better working out the bend/dent on the front as I wouldn't have had to do underneath white.

Currently held up by usual lack of cash in PayPal account but next Tuesday will see things kicking off again.
    Last edited by Peter; 11-03-2020 at 11:03 AM.

MIG is definitely the way to go with thin metal, and even then its a pain. But as I found out after buying my new MIG recently there are MIG's and there are MIG's. My previous Clarke, followed by SIP were just ok and results variable. However my new Sealey MIG is in a different league and it shows in the results. So maybe better to hire a good quality one than buy a cheap one to get good results

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    MIG is definitely the way to go with thin metal, and even then its a pain. But as I found out after buying my new MIG recently there are MIG's and there are MIG's. My previous Clarke, followed by SIP were just ok and results variable. However my new Sealey MIG is in a different league and it shows in the results. So maybe better to hire a good quality one than buy a cheap one to get good results
    Good thinking, off to Viking tool hire and see what they have.

Had to print out the page for the front bumper from the E30 EPC so I know where the hell alll those nuts, bolts, clips etc go. and the page for the Mtech spoiler. I should be able to get it all together as OEM, but I need to find a pair of joint cover that are not a rip off or from Australia, (time factor).

Bloody customers pestering me to do silly little jobs that a trained monkey, aka fitter, could do like change fuel filter or starter clutch on a buggy, both 15 minuet jobs that would cost me more to get to and back than I would get paid, so telling everyone now I HAVE RETIRED! At last.

Anyway, I have cars of my own to fix.
    Last edited by Peter; 15-03-2020 at 03:03 PM.

Dur to Spain's clamp down I have stopped work for two weeks and just sorting out my stuff.

Regards repair work and learning a bit more about welding, I usually use a 100/140A stick welder, I am buying a MAG(MIG) welder.

Brett, you HAVE cost me 50€ more I will take your advice, BUT, only thing is, I bet you don't have to pay $120 a time for a bottle of gas as I would, plus regulator $15, that doesn't come with welder. So I guess I will have to learn to use one without gas and cored wired rather than MAG welding but with gas option.

When I built my daughter Ruth's Baja bug I was able to get some C02 from the local pub for a few quid but when the gas costs more than the welder,

Found one with/without gas for a little more but plus gas and regulator for disposable bottles. Seems everything under 250€ is without gas nowadays.

https://www.ebay.es/itm/Soldador-de-...gAAOSw8o9dwXoG

BUT, 8 ltrs of Argon is 109€ C02 199€, 1 Ltr bottle CO2/Argon, 27€

Was to be this gas-less model but,,,,;

Just thought, If I get the with/without I can use it either way, so way to go. RED WINS!

Alister, I did look into hiring but none available locally and when I phoned further afield they wanted nearly as much a day as a new cheap one, plus gas refill..

Last edited by Peter; 15-03-2020 at 03:05 PM.

Welder ordered and a reel of .8mm fluxed wire, 100 quid for the welder and 17€ for the wire, all be here by Thursday, they said. Have to see if the total clamp down in Spain screws things up or not, still have to see IF I can drive to my workshop in Elviria 50 Km away.

Went for the slightly bigger duel mode one with a gas inlet at the rear as options are good and I can use with 0.8mm flux wire as ordered or with plain wire and a gas and even alloy. so more flexible.

welder.jpgwire.jpg

Been reading a lot on line, brushing up on my MAG skills having used electrode for 20 years and advances in wire technology are amazing. Fluxed or cored wire just wasn't readily available 20 years ago as it is now so I had to have a bottle of gas, either expensive disposable CO2/Argon or CO2 nicked from the local bar.

The yellow 'Gas-less only' one originally was on the 'to buy' list but was replaced by the slightly more expensive red one for just under a 114€ and a reel of wire at 17€, both inc shipping.

Hopefully by next weekend I will be all set to weld in the chassis parts and the split in the valance.
    Last edited by Peter; 16-03-2020 at 02:46 PM.