Page 96 of 97 FirstFirst ... 468694959697 LastLast

Thread: Peter's Eagle SS

Tried to get to the shed this week but failed miserably. A friends SEAT Ibiza need a test but I had also just finished the front end rebuild after the dive down the bank, it was one of the days that has stretched into three.

First I drove East to wrong station in San Pero as I usually do and arrive at the place in time but soon realised I was at the wrong station, I should have been WEST in Estepona!, so off I go and arrive half an hour late as well as being in the wrong place the front left indicator packed up half way and did any filling station have a 12v 21w ORANGE indicator bulb, NO! so after wasting time I went to the 'poligino, (Industrial estate) and got one, sorted, or so I thought Then on to the the ITV station.

Luckily the guy in the office was helpful, which is a big change, and got me a test in minuets only to have the inspector send me away before he even started as there was a fuel leak in the rubber intake pipe to injectors, so away down the road, no-one had such a pipe of course so off it came, removed the special push on fitting and clips and buy the minimum half a meter of pipe for 20cm and fit the fitting on with a jubilee clip, refit to car, and after having to go back into the office and get the test rebooked.

In the end the bloody thing failed just on emissions so off to the factors for an air filter and some plugs and on to the shed to sort it out.

Late afternoon now and all sweet as a nut and according to my Colortune, all OK but who knows?

Back 60Km to Estepona but left my facemask (compulsory with a capital C here) in the shed so can't go to the office without one, so off home, get a mask, back to Estepona and the office only to be told retests (free) are no longer done on a 'fit in' basis but I have to book in on-line, so off home again, via the gas station as I used up the 10€ worth of fuel already and now it's due in on Monday, at 15:17- Deep joy!.
    Last edited by Peter; 08-11-2020 at 12:52 PM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Oh Peter, what a day!! ... hope you finished it with a Hamlet cigar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSetKLDeVOA

Just think how much you'll enjoy yourself once you do manage to get to the SS shed! Looking forward to hearing how you get on

Alistair

Thanks Alister, Pair of 200n gas struts in the Beamer's boot ready to go on the bonnet, 120n just too soft resulting in a bump on the noggin. I know they are a bit too strong but I also know they loose 25% of pressure quickly.

Monday ITV for the SEAT so not then as it's 15:17hrs so Tuesday all being well, or, more work on the SEAT to get emissions own even lower.

Was looking at an overhaul set for the Dells at 48€ plus post but then I though the darn things have done zero kilometres since I did them so no float valves needed or gaskets, (I have set of gasket paper anyway) no diaphragms, or the other stuff really just need some O rings, so off to the store in the morning-
    Last edited by Peter; 25-10-2020 at 12:14 PM.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

Got to shed and put one of the 200n struts on the bonnet and perfect so leaving it a combined 320n so will buy a pair of 150n later.

Got the Dells dialled in, easy with the right kit. One side was very week on the spring adjustment, barely squirting at all, needed four full turns in then .3cc per 2 squirts. on both.

Put them back on and completed the install, with cables and filters, so when the new starter I ordered Friday arrives in next few days I can get it tuned in, again.

After reconnecting the gear shift rod coupling the gear change has gone from click-click to sloppy so in with the endoscope camera and see what's what. probably used a red plastic crap coupling and it has crumbled like the engine mounts, that will mean diving into the tunnel again so not rushing to rebuild inte
    piestrior until I see what the problem is.

On the subject of the Pro Bono work I am doing for the stable's seat Ibiza MkII.
    It failed on emissions, (CO idle 0.57, CO accel, 0.48. Lambda 1.01 & 81 degrees) so I tried the cheap and easy stuff first and fitted a new air filter (definitely needed) and plugs but only down a couple of points so took it in to my friendly garage and got a free diagnosis, the Catalyst had gone, so I went to the factors and they want 222€, back on-line and 80€, much better be a couple of days but worth the wait.
    Last edited by Peter; 31-10-2020 at 12:02 PM.

Good day in the shed today.

Found the reason for the sloppy gear shift on what was once a very smooth, tight shifter. It wasn't the connector, that is a new-ish OEM one but the 30 year old Skoda shifter. ALL the bushes and the ball have disintegrated!

So now its finding a ball, (20mm, 8mm hole with a locking ridge half way), possible a VW part, and bushes 15id x 18od x 10long, , I will press fit bronze bushes rather than plastic and with a new ball it will be good as new, if not better.

Supposed to be a ball and cup in there and bushes on the shaft, nope, all gone.

quh2Y4.jpg tGQm7J.jpg

All external parts refitted and ready to rumble.
    Z67YSX.jpg Also a nice new alloy vac pipe.

Oil Filter moved up and in so pipes clear exhaust better.
    kTMk0n.jpg oQvOIg.jpg

While I was out UPS arrived with the new starter so it is currently in their drop office for me to collect, no notification, email or phone call to that effect or even which of the three Estepona drop points it's at so I have to start with the nearest and hope for the best, really bad UPS.

UPDATE 1

Went to the chemists that act as a drop for UPS and they had it, so next job whilst waiting on shifter parts, new starter.
    Last edited by Peter; 05-11-2020 at 02:10 PM.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear about the shifter;
    Engine looking very tidy mate.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Sorry to hear about the shifter;
    Engine looking very tidy mate.
    Thanks Steve. need all the encouragement I can get right now.

Managed to find a genuine Skoda Estelle repair kit for the ball which is over 20 quid but worth it. coupled with a pair of Oilite bushes will be smooth and tight as new.
    Last edited by bobbybrown; 07-11-2020 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Fixed quote code

Having found out why the SEAT Ibiza failed on emissions. the CAT was completely hollow, blown out. new cat was 80€ inc VAT and post from Germany. Local wanted 222€, jock

Dam, blast and buggeration!!! Just as I am getting to sort out the SS the government impose another batch of travel restrictions other than for "essential work" so I cannot travel out of Estepona, "no movement between municipalities", and I would need to cross two to get to the 'shed'. (San Pedro and Marbella), so that is it until early December. I might risk it if it proves to be a bit lax but give a cop a new reason to stop you and they go mad at it.

Unfortunately it seems to be it is the young, the least effected, who congregate and take the virus home to be spread amongst the older people who get ill, if EVERYONE complied with the rules there wouldn't be a virus.
    Last edited by Peter; 10-11-2020 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Dam, blast and buggeration!!! Just as I am getting to sort out the SS the government impose another batch of travel restrictions other than for "essential work" so I cannot travel out of Estepona, "no movement between municipalities", and I would need to cross two to get to the 'shed'. (San Pedro and Marbella), so that is it until early December. I might risk it if it proves to be a bit lax but give a cop a new reason to stop you and they go mad at it.

Unfortunately it seems to be it is the young, the least effected, who congregate and take the virus home to be spread amongst the older people who get ill, if EVERYONE complied with the rules there wouldn't be a virus.
    How true Peter, I see plenty of that when the school kids walk past my work's main office, when I'm near/at any of the building sites I work at and so on. they love to congregate and appear to have completely forgotten about social distancing rules, face masks and so on.

I have the added fun of having to be even more carefull since I lost my place a few years back and live with my parents, which means I would be the primary vector if anything gets to them