Page 85 of 86 FirstFirst ... 357583848586 LastLast

Thread: Peter's Eagle SS

It is a lot to do with Spain and corruption, official corruption that is. most MPs are lawyers, from Pedro Sanchez down and as long as it takes a lawyer to do the simplest of things they will not change it.
    To change anything on my Spanish car's log book, address etc I have to make an appointment or a long queue in 'traffico' Malaga, 60 Km away and go through the hoops and pay at least 50€ for an address change. or get a 'hestor' to do it for you, for a fee, changing ownership goes from 150€ inc fees. There is no postal service as with a V5c to Swansea or on-line service apart from booking a MoT (ITV), in fact they don't even have a DVLC as such, it's all regional, in my case Malaga-.

Changing from an EU to Spanish plate should be simple involving a ITV, (MoT) and some documentation payment of fee, tax and duty etc.but then you hit bureaucracy, no homologation number. no type approval, 'Q' plate', not on any list so it, "doesn't exist". I even had problems with my '99 Suzuki. and if it doesn't exist then they just throw up their hands and say "impossible" and walk away.

So despite the fact the car is already registered in an EU state and has been on the road it will require the equivalent of an IVA and they are few and far between and very expensive.

As a resident I am not allowed to drive a 'foreign car' and if I import one, as I would be doing with the Eagle, I have to change to Spanish plate straight away, it used to be 6 months but that was awhile ago.

getting a MoT 'done' in the UK doesn't work anymore as the car has to be photographed on test now and included on the computer produced MoT cert'- Insurance with a UK address would be possible but what is the point of a MoT and insurance if I can't drive it anyway. so many 'clever buggers' who think they can loose their cars every day.

So, unless I win the lottery, no chance and if I did, well, a Noreca Moon GT in candy apple red with a nice 2Ltr transverse mid engine in an all Alloy chassis comes to mind.

I will continue with it for a bit, door panels are on the way and see what the gods bring. After I repair the Mercedes A170 auto box, again, 1.000€

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBailey View Post
    Is the problem registering the car just a Spanish problem or is it an EU wide thing ?
    If it's just a problem in Spain, could you not sell it complete to say someone in Germany ?

Your garage rent does seem expensive, I was paying £13 a week to a housing association for a garage in the same town I live in (I thought that was expensive).

I hope you don't loose the car mate.
    According to my mate in Belgium it is as bad there, he has problems too.

That rent is stupid cheap for Spain, in San Pedro I was paying 200€ for a small lock-up just big enough, in Elviria I have a large underground garage with electric, Cheap in Spain 60 years ago maybe to day an apartment where I live, nothing special would be 1,200 a month, the cheapest on Fotocasa, is 20 Km away in Sabanillas and still over 600€, in the UK one could rent a council lock-up for as little as 5 a month but that was in the 90s. There are a lot af 'navas' empty because owners want stupid rents, shops too, (as in UK, empty high streets). and there is NO welfare state here. Youngsters (up to mid 30s) live at home as they can't afford to move out or save for a deposit as wages are crap.
    Last edited by Peter; 08-10-2019 at 01:58 PM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

I would be tempted to sell the Mercedes for parts! Might bring in as much as the SS if you are a bit ruthless. It is a shame you are on a Q plate, needing an MOT. Otherwise you could have it UK registered and drive in Gibraltar or Morocco. I know ex-pats with cars registered at home who simply just don't drive in the countries they live in. They trailer it to/from their house to the border, or get a garage to drive it on trade plates.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Maybe John90’s hit on something .... Estepona’s not far from Gibraltar! Is there a solution there for you, or even the possibility that someone there would buy the SS from you, once you’ve got her finished of course!

As someone found out the hard way after taking on my 1987 Mercedes Cosworth, you can't do that. You have to rent or own a place in Gib' and then you are still subject to restrictions as to where and how much you can use it in Spain as a resident as any other foreign car. As a tourist I can use it 6 months, 20 years too late for that.

As for getting away with it. I was on my way to Ascot show in 1996 when I was pulled, I said, "I bet you wouldn't have stopped me in my Corsa", the cop said, " I see Corsas every day but one of these, no."

I will try untill next year to sort something out but it's looking too expensive, if at all possible.

And to add to my woes, I bust a molar last week and it flared up yesterday so I spent 5 hours in A&E for pain killer injection so I could sleep, at 3AM. No dental welfare here so between 400 and 1200€ /per tooth) I don't have, would be cheaper to fly to UK have teeth fixed on NHS.
    Last edited by Peter; 09-10-2019 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    You have to rent or own a place in Gib' and then you are still subject to restrictions as to where and how much you can use it in Spain as a resident as any other foreign car.

And to add to my woes, I bust a molar last week and it flared up yesterday so I spent 5 hours in A&E for pain killer injection so I could sleep, at 3AM. No dental welfare here so between 400 and 1200€ /per tooth) I don't have, would be cheaper to fly to UK have teeth fixed on NHS.
    The idea others use was to fully register it as a UK car, and never drive it in Spain. Then for a special day, just leave Spain. Not a general or acceptable solution, but potentially cheap, UK classic insurance being the only cost [free road tax for historic, no MOT. Maybe 40 years on a Q plate will get Historic?].

I would like to know if anyone has managed to get Historic vehicle insurance at a good price, as a former UK license holder, now with another member state driving licence as you have to swap after 12 months.

I have some similar dental work that needs doing, it has calmed down a bit though. I was quoted 3000 Euro minimum in Germany. I wasn't aware the NHS fixed teeth at all! Send me a PM if you find a solution please! I am totally happy to pay for the NHS dental work, their charges are reasonable, but I doubt I could get registered for it.
    Last edited by John90; 09-10-2019 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John90 View Post
    The idea others use was to fully register it as a UK car, and never drive it in Spain. Then for a special day, just leave Spain. Not a general or acceptable solution, but potentially cheap, UK classic insurance being the only cost [free road tax for historic, no MOT. Maybe 40 years on a Q plate will get Historic?].

I would like to know if anyone has managed to get Historic vehicle insurance at a good price, as a former UK license holder, now with another member state driving license as you have to swap after 12 months.

I have some similar dental work that needs doing, it has calmed down a bit though. I was quoted 3000 Euro minimum in Germany. I wasn't aware the NHS fixed teeth at all! Send me a PM if you find a solution please! I am totally happy to pay for the NHS dental work, their charges are reasonable, but I doubt I could get registered for it.
    Don't forget I have been a pensioner for 8 years. but I would still need to pay 260 IF I was resident in UK.
    Long way since unemployed and pensioners got free dental and glasses etc, The welfare state has deteriorated seriously in the past 20 years. Trying to explain to my Ferrari driving dentist that paying him 1200€ for one implant against a total monthly income of 780€ didn't add up.
    Last edited by Peter; 12-10-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Just for fun but not while 'er in doors is looking I did a rough cost of the engine and front brakes. I wish I had not!

£4,669.25 and that's mostly 2005 prices, doesn't include all postage and no labour at all.

Just for fun but not while 'er in doors is looking I did dug out the old receipts and invoices from way back and a rough cost of the engine,
    I wish I had not!

and that's mostly 2005-2015 prices plus postage and labour. Say,,, 6 grand.

Text too big, over 1,000 words so link to my web pages instead, in the region of

https://ukhozi.page.tl/Engine-cost-XL.htm
    Last edited by Peter; 18-10-2019 at 02:08 PM.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Oh Peter!!

However, thanks for the tip. I've just been stuffing all my receipts and invoices into a folder with the thought that one day I'll maybe add it all up? .... I don't think I'll bother now!

Still, your engine looks first class!

Alistair