Page 92 of 93 FirstFirst ... 428290919293 LastLast

Thread: Peter's Eagle SS

Sorted out the welder dilemma, It IS a gas / no gas unit as it is AC not DC. DC would require change of polarity while AC doesn't of course.

The roller should be changed to .9mm for plain wire or .8mm serrated for fluxed wire (supplied) and the tip and shield changed when using fluxed wire for a ceramic one but the steel shield would work.

I will change the connector for a euro one eventually as I will want to attach different pistols such as a spool gun or TIG gun which can also be used on an AC welder, it currently has a generic M15 pistol so 99% of add on and parts fit.

An AC welder is more versatile than a DC one, so I am informed but a DC MIG produces a better weld. I am also told that TIG is the way to go on thin sheet and I could convert any AC welder, including stick, to that with a separate gas line and trigger in the pistol.,, Later.

I definitely have too much time on my hands but have learnt a lot in the meantime. When I MIG welded my daughters Baja Bug I didn't know any of this or welding apart from a basic course in a government training center in the 60s, still managed somehow and the bug is still running about it seems.
    Last edited by Peter; 06-04-2020 at 01:05 PM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Nothing better to do than chew over photos of the SS and think of ways to do things better and it comes to a fairly short list but one thing is the fuel regulator, it's in the wrong place. So I am going to move it across to the left side thereby reducing the fuel line by over 2 feet, swapping the reg' to carb pipes and a much shorted vac line.

IMG_20191212_155528_HHT.jpg

Removing the old VW front brake line support brackets and making better 'Wilwood friendly' ones.

Cutting an access hole in the floor of the arm rest box so I can change amp fuses, currently I have a big job lifting the whole box up to do that.

better access to the chassis number as 'one day' an engineer is going to want to see it clearly and if it's too much bother there is a "can't read VIN" that can go on the form.

Heat shield on the exhaust header under the engine to oil filter pipes and move the filter inboard 6" for ease of access.

Mount the 4" monitors to ends of dash, somehow, as I don°t like the idea I had of using the 2DIN radio and a switch, better to have separate circuits.

Remove drivers seat, lift pedal box and lift floor to add sound proofing on both sides, sadly lacking at the moment.

Build cover in rear wheel arch so (Ford Sierra) wing vents actually connect to carburetor filter areas as intended.

Paint underneath, it has suffered the passage of time and needs touching up as does the gearbox enamel.

Change side window rubbers, they currently use the same as the doors and are too heavy, also figure out a better hinge and catch system, I need to be able to lift the window, both for mirror adjustment and pay at toll booths, something you UK guys don't have on the motorways but we do. So looks like plastic windows, top hinged and bottom catch. I know that last one is a bit optimistic but DO hope to drive it, one day.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Nothing better to do than chew over photos of the SS and think of ways to do things better and it comes to a fairly short list but one thing is the fuel regulator, it's in the wrong place. So I am going to move it across to the left side thereby reducing the fuel line by over 2 feet, swapping the reg' to carb pipes and a much shorted vac line.

IMG_20191212_155528_HHT.jpg

Removing the old VW front brake line support brackets and making better 'Wilwood friendly' ones.

Cutting an access hole in the floor of the arm rest box so I can change amp fuses, currently I have a big job lifting the whole box up to do that.

better access to the chassis number as 'one day' an engineer is going to want to see it clearly and if it's too much bother there is a "can't read VIN" that can go on the form.

Heat shield on the exhaust header under the engine to oil filter pipes and move the filter inboard 6" for ease of access.

Mount the 4" monitors to ends of dash, somehow, as I don°t like the idea I had of using the 2DIN radio and a switch, better to have separate circuits.

Remove drivers seat, lift pedal box and lift floor to add sound proofing on both sides, sadly lacking at the moment.

Build cover in rear wheel arch so (Ford Sierra) wing vents actually connect to carburetor filter areas as intended.

Paint underneath, it has suffered the passage of time and needs touching up as does the gearbox enamel.

Change side window rubbers, they currently use the same as the doors and are too heavy, also figure out a better hinge and catch system, I need to be able to lift the window, both for mirror adjustment and pay at toll booths, something you UK guys don't have on the motorways but we do. So looks like plastic windows, top hinged and bottom catch. I know that last one is a bit optimistic but DO hope to drive it, one day.
    With ref being able to see the chassis number I got caught out with that crossing the border from Italy to Switzerland in the nova they wanted to see the chassis number ,telling them it was under the fiberglass, trying to explain what the car was wasnít going down well with them as they just kept pointing to the alfa engine after 2hours and virtually taking the car apart they let us go ,in total contrast a couple of years late going through the same boarder I was in my alfa spyder following a Swiss plate spyder they opened the barrier for him and waved me through with him thinking we were together ,Iíve since cut an aperture over the number

They can be total knobs some times, well, most of the time. My wife's Corsa once failed the test because it had smoked side window deflectors, even though I whipped them off sharpish.

Finally the Andalusian government has relaxed the rules a bit so some people can start work again,but only if in a certain occupation, of course a lot are abusing the relaxation. I had to attend to the stables quad Thursday and it keeps throwing the chain because the swing arm is bent and broken (backing up the little trailer sideways against the caliper, idiots), but I buggered up my right knee and can't get back to it yet. I was really in a lot of pain doing a hard job after lockdown, body just not used to it.

Frustration is killing me, My car ready for welding and reassemble and the SS burning parking fees just sitting there.

I have the time, as have many of us, and the parts and the equipment but can't get to it. It's going to be AT LEAST until the 25th May and then staged relaxation.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Finally the Andalusian government has relaxed the rules a bit so some people can start work again,but only if in a certain occupation, of course a lot are abusing the relaxation. I had to attend to the stables quad Thursday and it keeps throwing the chain because the swing arm is bent and broken (backing up the little trailer sideways against the caliper, idiots), but I buggered up my right knee and can't get back to it yet. I was really in a lot of pain doing a hard job after lockdown, body just not used to it.

Frustration is killing me, My car ready for welding and reassemble and the SS burning parking fees just sitting there.

I have the time, as have many of us, and the parts and the equipment but can't get to it. It's going to be AT LEAST until the 25th May and then staged relaxation.
    I feel your pain (body and mental), I'm stalled on my dash mold all because of a small pot of filler worth a couple of quid that I don't have!

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    I feel your pain (body and mental), I'm stalled on my dash mold all because of a small pot of filler worth a couple of quid that I don't have!
    Me too! ... Iím still waiting on sockets to let me tackle the dreaded flywheel gland nut! I get excited every time a delivery driver turns up ... only to have my hopes dashed when I find out itís yet more online orders placed by my wife and daughters

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Me too! ... Iím still waiting on sockets to let me tackle the dreaded flywheel gland nut! I get excited every time a delivery driver turns up ... only to have my hopes dashed when I find out itís yet more online orders placed by my wife and daughters
    This just seem so appropriate

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar

***Euro-Nova Supporter***

That's excellent, Debs says that's me I keep asking Alexa when my order is coming and get the same answer next week.

Dirk