Page 35 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter's Eagle SS

Must say I am impressed with the aero catches very sturdy, just watch the clip that holds the barrel in it sometimes can drop off. Looking good Peter
    http://jimsnova.page.tl/
    Club Nova / avante membership 031

Thanks for the tip, I think a drop of hot glue on the clip will sort that out,no? Maybe the Chinese ones are different, like they don't drop off, I'll check it anyway, thanks.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

The wrap looks good, you could cover a lot of problems with a wrap.
    Is it thick enough to cover star cracks etc or does it need heavy prep before fitting.

Seems to have covered everything so far, I would rub a bit of filler in star cracks and sand it down flat, doesn't have to be super smooth or primed.
    It IS a bugger to get into concave shapes like my bonnet louvers as it keeps wanting to go flat again so the trick there is to gently heat it, (not melt it like I did ) and then hold it into the crease or corner with a plastic edge and cool it with air, not sure what will happen when it gets hot in the sun so I am going to either, cut the whole area of the louvers out and leave black possibly with dummy black fine mesh grills on the vertical parts or let in a separate 'un-streatched' panel to ripple over the louvers blended in with the side which will then be flexible enough to come into the corners. It is a 'new skill' I'm learning, just glad I bought 3 meters
    Last edited by Peter; 04-07-2014 at 12:57 PM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

A few more hours in the 'shed' and the bonnet is almost done and has been re-fitted as I am working on a hing and strut stay as well.
    Learning from the Cookies tips videos on you-tube helped a lot about pre-stretching etc.
    Decided to go 'naked' on the louvers for now and see if I can get used to them, at the moment I'm thinking they look good.

Tape across the corner, close bonnet with catch loosely in defines the pin location, just a matter of making the bracket to fit, (and miss the battery box lid).

Unfortunately one of the catch levers was badly injection molded with too hot a plastic and a fracture due to crystallization happened, I have written to the suppliers for a replacement, but other than that they are good.
    IMG754_zps4ef81277.jpg
    Last edited by Peter; 08-07-2014 at 12:22 PM.

Awesome stuff, bonnet looks good with louvers like that. Bummer about the catch lever though. Hopefully the suppliers will be able to replace it. If not, maybe a repair job. I've bought a few sets, hopefully they'll be in my hot little hands mid month.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Unfortunately one of the catch levers was badly injection molded with too hot a plastic and a fracture due to crystallization happened, I have written to the suppliers for a replacement, but other than that they are good.
    Other than the fact its broken and now doesn't function and isn't fit for purpose its fine , you have a way with words, I must remember that one! I never took you for a "glass half full" kinda guy Peter but clearly I was wrong

Quote Originally Posted by CyCo View Post
    Hopefully the suppliers will be able to replace it. If not, maybe a repair job. I've bought a few sets, hopefully they'll be in my hot little hands mid month.
    I reckon it will be some form of glass powder reinforced plastic - not the sort of substance that lends itself to reliable repair. I wonder if the genuine catches are better made than the cheaper knock-offs?
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Absolutely no problem with suppliers, they are sending a replacement straight away, it is ABS but speaking as someone who has minded 16 Heidelberg units on a night shift I know that if the temp is too high the plastic can crystallise inside while the outer 'skin' looks OK and this is a problem that is hard to spot. The other one is fine.
    Anyway glass is very half full and I have plenty of things to do like put the left door back on and wrap boot, mirrors etc as well as the wiring.

Sent from my LG-E730 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Peter; 09-07-2014 at 07:43 AM.

An optomist is often disapointed, a pessimist rarely is.

Sent from my LG-E730 using Tapatalk 2