Page 78 of 79 FirstFirst ... 286876777879 LastLast

Thread: Peter's Eagle SS

One step forward and three back this week
    Started up the motor and big whoosh of blue flame out of #1 choke and a bang and although the other three ran OK #1 was not, so valve problem, the clearances were done OK so it must be a seating problem on the inlet, some crap might have gone down the trumpet, although I always cover them. off with the head next trip and see what is going on.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Seems Photobucket have relented to pressure and enabled all the old photos.but with a tag.
    Last edited by Peter; 17-01-2019 at 08:29 PM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

I did a compression test and all four read the same so I don't thing I have a valve problem, valve clearance is good too so it must be the carb'.

I stripped the DRLA 40 down and didn't find anything amiss apart from no fuel but the accelerator weights had the spring at the bottom on the ball and although all the manuals show them without springs mine has, so I put them at the top against the plug with the weight on the ball.

Then I saw the bridge between the floats was bent so I straightened it,, and broke the top off of the float , so I glued it together with epoxy as I'm sure that will stand the fuel, seems to be OK but 'only' 35€ for a new one from my pal in Italy Alfa1750. I also found a new 1.5 float valve so fitted that as well as new carb' to inlet gaskets, just need to reassemble and set it again.

well, reassembled and after following the DellOrto book I found I had overlooked a couple of things like cutting the tab off the float to allow more fuel in and I had the accelerator pump weights upside down and the float height was 3mm too high. but other than that all was in speck.

Fitted it all back on and a little go-go juice down the chokes and it fired up first time and no misfire but I did notice a errant spark off of the alloy tube the HT leads run in across the shroud so out with them and I found one of the leads had a cut in it and yes, it was number one, bugger, so new lead on the way.unfortunately my Petronix igniter has conked out, dead, no spark, so I have been back on points and condenser for a while. I did look at buying a new igniter but bloody hell! HOW MUCH?

I will have to change the fuel pump the Facet one is way too noisy, even on rubber mounts and I will mount the new one under the fuel tank too, I didn't do it before because of the noise but with a quite pump I will.
    Last edited by Peter; 18-01-2019 at 06:56 PM.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Peter
    I am sure you will solve your issue.
    Great updates, as always 👍

Thanks Buffy, My crap posts are better than no posts.

One other thing I have to do is fit new engine/gearbox mounts as the polyurethane ones have crumbled, hasn't seem more than a few miles use, it seems to be a problem with them according to several buyer reviews, so I'm going for standard units, at least the last ones lasted 30 years. Does this mean I should also check all the suspension bushes?

That means I have to slide the engine way from the gearbox just to get to the four nuts, stupid design. lucky I have my gantry and hoist I made.

New plug leads, fuel pump kit with filter, engine/gearbox mounts, ordered So next months work is pretty well laid out.
    pump.jpg
    OH yeah, Also on the way, head gasket on the BMW E30 to do.
    Last edited by Peter; 20-01-2019 at 02:24 PM.

A good day in the 'shed' yesterday with parts actually being removed. The fuel pump and filter assembly was a total bust, The "heavy duty" glass filter was loose and leaking as the threads in the bar down the center that holds the two end caps on were duff and wouldn't tighten so basically it fell apart and the pump was so noisy as to be unbearable, (Facet red).
    The spare piece of AN4 tubing I had was a perfect fit for the removed section so nothing but that pipe there now over the axle, the new 'quite' pump, filter and regulator will sit under the tank behind the sub woofer.

Also removed the top of the left hand DelLorto DRLA40 and found the pump jets blocked so removed and cleaned those and the ball valve in the bottom as well as turning the weights over the the anti bounce springs are at the top, still not happy with the spray nozzles and might well buy 4 new ones as they are an important part of the carb'.

New HT leads fitted into the alloy tube and trimmed for a snug fit, hate cables flopping about. Had to remove the nuts from the plugs, which is good as I prefer the thread fit caps and these look good and solid plastic with the rubber skirts, as it should be, not soft rubber like the last ones.

The engine fired up with a drop down the chokes so all good, just need to wait for the new stuff to arrive. The regulator needs to go between the pump and the carbs, so debating as to fit in-line (solid) with pump as a unit or mount the other side of the rear bulkhead so I can adjust it easily but will need a crap guard against dirt from rear tyre, it will also need a return pipe fitting to the tank, lucky for me the Triumph 2000 tank has just such a tube in the top.

I have just now ordered a new ignition igniter module for the Bosh 009 distributor as the (expensive) Pertronix one is dead and it was 28€ from China against 80€+..

Last edited by Peter; 02-02-2019 at 12:10 PM.

A good day in the 'shed' yesterday with parts actually being removed. The fuel pump and filter assembly was a total bust, The "heavy duty" glass filter was loose and leaking as the threads in the bar down the center that holds the two end caps on were duff and wouldn't tighten so basically it fell apart and the pump was so noisy as to be unbearable, (Facet red).
    The piece of AN6 braided tubing I had was a perfect fit for the removed section so nothing but that pipe there now over the axle, the new 'quite' pump, filter and regulator will sit under the tank behind the sub woofer.

Also removed the top of the left hand DelLorto DRLA40 and found the pump jets blocked so removed and cleaned those and the ball valve in the bottom as well as turning the weights over the the anti bounce springs are at the top, still not happy with the spray nozzles and might well buy 4 new ones as they are an important part of the carb'.

New HT leads fitted into the alloy tube and trimmed for a snug fit, hate cables flopping about. Had to remove the nuts from the plugs, which is good as I prefer the thread fit caps and these look good and solid plastic with the rubber skirts, as it should be, not soft rubber like the last ones.

The engine fired up with a drop down the chokes so all good, just need to wait for the new stuff to arrive. The regulator needs to go between the pump and the carbs, so debating as to fit in-line (solid) with pump as a unit or mount the other side of the rear bulkhead so I can adjust it easily but will need a crap guard against dirt from rear tyre.

I have just now ordered a new ignition igniter module for the Bosh 009 distributor as the (expensive) Pertronix one is dead and it was 28€ from China against 80€+..

Last edited by Peter; 05-02-2019 at 11:48 AM.

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Nice hardcore update, I could see the thumbnails in your post, but couldn't click-through to the full-sized versions:

"Guests do not have access to download attachments. Please log in and try again."

What else is on the to-do list?

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Nice hardcore update, I could see the thumbnails in your post, but couldn't click-through to the full-sized versions:

"Guests do not have access to download attachments. Please log in and try again."

What else is on the to-do list?
    Just;

Fit new fuel pump/filter/regulator assemble under tank.

Make door panels

make an fit A post trims.

A little tweaking of dash side pods.

fit door seals
    get one side window made in safety glass, find grommets for glass with 4mm groove.

tune and balance carbs, again.

fit passengers side floor and seat

bleed clutch and brakes, again.

fit bias balance cable.

Possibly change harnesses for three point seat belts.

Tidy up bodywork after 15 years neglect and abuse, possible wrapping, if I can afford it, if not, a coat of black acrylic.

And after tea,