Page 77 of 78 FirstFirst ... 276775767778 LastLast

Thread: Peter's Eagle SS

Total time last month was an earth shattering 6 hours

A new battery sits here in my office awaiting time to take it and fit it. seems the old one didn't like the drain-recharge cycle over ten years and died.

I finely removed the trim and cut a wedge off of the right dash pod so the alloy strip is now horizontal but it does mean the center trim needs changing as it is wider and matte, so thinner and shinny here you come.
    DASH 1 cut.jpg
    Also thinking of extending the top cover back 3cm to shade the speedo more.

One ONE electrical connection to do now and that is the three thin wires for the + - and signal for the speedo.

FINALLY got fiber optic internet,. For AGES Vodafone have been telling me that there was not a cable in our area and it could be ages but when we said it was #24 Calle del Tenis, and not Las Jacarandas, Calle del Tenis it has been there for over a year! Anyway super fast, no more buffering and great TV too.

Plan to get to the 'shed' on Wednesday but that is 'plan A'.
    Last edited by Peter; 07-10-2018 at 11:22 AM.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Bit more

Not a lot done but some.

Managed to dry out the 'shed' after 1" of water flooded in during a downpour.

New battery fitted after ten years, engine turned over for a minuet or two, just to keep thing wet inside.

Wires for speedo run to the connection board.

Center console removed and trimmed for a better fit at screen and top moved back a bit for better shade also new trim between speedo and radio that better matches side pods. Just need to make right hand under pad and the little bit between steering and center which will hold the brake bias control knob, when I have made it that is.

Trial area of paint over left scoop and wing in deep black acrylic has proven to be very tough and shiny so I will be doing the rest in that when the time comes.

Next 'little job' will be the door sill panels in stainless steel, metal to hand, as are the cardboard templates, just need to get those 'couple of little jobs' done that always seem to pop up and get in the way of the next stage and of course, after so long in the build there are things popping up that need to be redone, like the brake fluid, rust to be treated etc.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

That's the way Peter! ... I'm a firm believer in Mark's idea of "5 mins a day" to keep the progress going! Well done.

.... I bet it sounded good to run the engine for a wee while!

Alistair

Another day in the 'shed', and a bit more done, baby steps indeed.

I set the speedo sensor a little closer to the disc and locked it up.

Made a new under part for the right dash pod, Styrofoam and double sided tape sandwich covered in gaffer tape. light and very strong.

Couldn't find some red leatherette I 'knew' I had so used black instead only to find the red a minuet after I had finished so need to redo that next rather than redo the left side in black.

Finally connected up the speedo wiring so all connections done apart from the two 'blind spot' cameras which needs a switch for left or right so I can use the radio camera input instead of two 4" monitors. need to buy a on-off-on switch.

Next 'big' job is the brake bias adjustment cable knob, I have the cable and the bias adjuster all done, just need to make up the knob part, turning out to be more difficult than I thought, just getting the 2" red knob is not easy as I thought, most are too small. I made the small 'box' to fit between the steering and the center only to rediscover the center slopes in at the bottom so need to remake that, luckily it is in alloy so easy to cut and shape.

DISASTER! A cut appeared in the right seat bolster of the drivers seat, the red 'carbon fiber' look bolster has a 2" cut across it, I may have to remove the seat and strip the cushion off to repair it from behind. What was that? One step forward, two steps back.

Anyway, some progress, that's important.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    That's the way Peter! ... I'm a firm believer in Mark's idea of "5 mins a day" to keep the progress going! Well done.

.... I bet it sounded good to run the engine for a wee while!

Alistair
    I am surprised, even though I did the work, that the car sounds so unlike a beetle, well above 1,000 rpm anyway, still that donk, donk VW sound on tick over but up to 7,5000 rpm limit, fantastic especially on over run with whistles in the tail pipes giving that 'turbo' sound..

I will make a video or at least a sound recording of it soon, but currently I just turn it over for a minuet a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I am surprised, even though I did the work, that the car sounds so unlike a beetle, well above 1,000 rpm anyway, still that donk, donk VW sound on tick over but up to 7,5000 rpm limit, fantastic especially on over run with whistles in the tail pipes giving that 'turbo' sound..

I will make a video or at least a sound recording of it soon, but currently I just turn it over for a minuet a month.
    Sounds promising ... looking forward to hearing your engine Peter
    Alistair

Had the pleasure of my daughter and family down for a few days from Cheltenham, I only see then once a year, if that, so a very nice time. My grandson who is 14 and as tall as me already and my 9 year old granddaughter is as cute as ever but smart as a button, I only wish I could live in the UK but the weather would kill me, so I stay here in the warmer climes and have to put up with it.

Some little things on the SS such as tidying up here and there, checking new battery etc but big job was drying out 6 gallons of flood water from the back of the 'shed' after water overran the drains, it was a monsoon for two hours and caused a lot of damage in the Malaga/Marbella area

Also had a 'chuck out' session, all the old stuff lying around that I know I will never use (but of course will want the minuet its gone), either went into a box to sell at the boot sale or in the trash, I can actually see under the car now, or rather the trailer.

Bolted the drivers seat in only to find that cut in the right seat bolster,

Passengers side will have alloy checker plate floor replaced and seat bolted in as soon as the center console goes in for the last time (subject to all electrics working of course ) as I still need the 3" foam mattress to sit on to work on the electrics for now.

Getting a bit busy on the 'My Ladies' front, I do a small job for one lady and I now have 6 ladies with small car or house jobs. Polishing headlight covers (plastic) for the annual test is the latest fad, sun makes them all cloudy and that is a fail. I buy a kit for 20€ and charge 85€, not bad for a morning work.

Anyway, Sunday chores are calling or rather 'er in doors is, so LATER.

Not about my head of crap for a change. but...

The main E.O.C. site has been down for a week or so and thanks to those of you in the UK that let me know, I have had a chat with Grade1 solutions ( www.grade1.co.uk/) and they have put the site back up pending sorting out the annual renewal fee.

To those who visit the Stirling forum, the whole site is down with no access, just spins it's wheels, David, (Islandman ) is contacting a Stirling member (Brett) to see what is going on.

Blimey! Been over a month with nothing much done on the car. Finally after ten years of looking at it, have filled and blended in the inlet scoop on the right wing so ready for paint, (in another ten years?).

I have been busy with work, 'My ladies' list grows weekly and all sorts of jobs come up from car repairs to cracks in bathroom ceilings.
    Latest is a stable that has three vehicles to repair after her estranged husband vandalized them. quite a lot, to give you an idea of what I had to do just on a quad;

Wiring burnt out due to BOTH earth wires connected to battery neg instead of one to battery and one to engine, so all return power from starter went via the alternator ground, burned right out within loom so had to fit new wires and re-loom.,
    2Kilo of stones in the tank as well as leaves, grass and water,
    CDi missing,
    battery knackered and too small.
    Air filter home to a mouse, new fitted,
    No plug,
    brakes stuck, one adjuster missing
    no ignition lock.
    Seat catch bent so seat didn't stay put.
    thread on crankshaft crossed so had the use my trusty Snap-on thread file so I could fit a new nut.
    Carburetor totally green inside,
    Rear brake pedal seized.
    rear pads shot.

Apart from that, nice little quad. (Aeon Cobra 180 RS) for those who know these things.

Next is a Yamaha/Ezgo golf buggy that has had its wiring ripped out and not serviced for at least ten years.

Followed by a Nissan M110-14 6L truck on which I have absolutely no idea or information and again the wiring is a mess and the switch missing. new batteries fitted but from there on it's a mystery.

On the SS it is down to bleed brakes and clutch, make the door panels and a bit of bodywork, small cracks and crazing before a coat of primer and deep black gloss acrylic. Oh, yeah, repair that cut in the passengers seat bolster, bugger!

My main problems are; the workshop is 45 minuets drive away and after spannering all day the last thing I want to do is drive all that way and work into the dark hours an another car. Motivation of 'making stones next year' just is not a reality so it's just get it roadworthy before I can't get in and out of the darn thing, should have undertaken scooter restoration, at least there is good money in that.

Anyway, A happy holidays to you all and lets have a great new year.
    Last edited by Peter; 26-12-2018 at 02:58 PM.

Not much done in December apart from fitting a new battery, finishing the electrics and the right scoop blending in but progress is progress.

Way too much work for me at the moment, just when I thought my work at the stables was down to 'just' the Nissan M110-14 truck she wants me to do a days welding on the fences. I am trying to pace myself as at 73 I am still fit but if I cracked on a 40 hour week I won't be for much longer. Takes me all night to do what I used to do all night, know what I mean?