Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2262707172

Thread: Paddy's Nova Mk2

Pleased to hear it's daily driven. Hows the screen for misting up in the colder weather? I'm assuming with the water cooled engine you will have a decent heater and fan?
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Nice update thanks.
    1000 miles is a proper shakedown, good to hear.
    I reckon most of that list will come out in the wash (when more symptoms emerge).

Clutch may be a slight concern...?

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Nice you are putting some miles on it.
    Have you got a separate ground to the speedo, so not joined to any other ground leads? worth a try if not.

Dirk

Great update Paddy

I may have put a jinx on it saying it is my most reliable car in years!

I am freezing my ass off working on it this morning after it stopped in traffic on the way home last night!

I had noticed that with the lights, heater blower, wipers, etc... all running then the alternator wasn't keeping up, with voltage dropping to 12v on the guage. But it looks like it's been too much for too long and left me not enough to re-start.

There are positive things about this though, chances are it's at the root of some of the other issues on the cons list, especially anything more recently developed, since going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark!

Looks like I will be looking into a higher output alternator in the immediate future!

I'll post again later, and reply to your individual comments, right now I am going back to losing the feeling in my fingertips 😉

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Never be afraid to stand out from the crowd!

Back in action

Need to get the hydraulic ram sorted ASAP now tho, it's getting quite a bit worse, quite quickly

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Probably don't need to mention this to you but other might benefit.

When upgrading the alternator and there are quite a few options these days. Add ALL units of consumption that could be switched on and add those together, then add 20% that will give you the minimum alternator output required.

A good 55 Amp alternator should provide more than enough with every conceivable wattage being used at the same time, which will never happen.

On My SS, even with both amps fired up and belting out Crazy Horses and all LEDs on I can't get more than 38 Amps on the ammeter.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine. Autism isn't something you get or can be 'cured of', it is the way we are wired, differently.

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Pleased to hear it's daily driven. Hows the screen for misting up in the colder weather? I'm assuming with the water cooled engine you will have a decent heater and fan?
    The screen still mists up, the heater blower is pretty good, but it only just keeps up with it.
    The problem is more that it clears the centre of the screen far better than the edges, and the O/S edge especially could do with being clear(er) for safe driving! I'll work my way through the system at some point making sure it's sealed up everywhere, every little extra cfm of flow is needed! Heats the cabin nicely though.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Nice update thanks.
    1000 miles is a proper shakedown, good to hear.
    I reckon most of that list will come out in the wash (when more symptoms emerge).

Clutch may be a slight concern...?
    The clutch is as supplied by Kennedy with the adaptor kit, it's probably got a somewhat stronger pressure plate than I'm used to. I'm not overly concerned, just I haven't adapted to it as quickly as I'd like! Fairly certain I'm the weak link in the chain here!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Nice you are putting some miles on it.
    Have you got a separate ground to the speedo, so not joined to any other ground leads? worth a try if not.

Dirk
    I don't believe so, and yes, definitely worth a try!
    I might try buying some of those ferrite noise filters that clamp over the wiring - they are loose change on eBay and can't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Probably don't need to mention this to you but other might benefit.

When upgrading the alternator and there are quite a few options these days. Add ALL units of consumption that could be switched on and add those together, then add 20% that will give you the minimum alternator output required.

A good 55 Amp alternator should provide more than enough with every conceivable wattage being used at the same time, which will never happen.

On My SS, even with both amps fired up and belting out Crazy Horses and all LEDs on I can't get more than 38 Amps on the ammeter.
    Yeah, I find it hard to believe I'm topping the alternator out tbh, but maybe it's just past it's best, it's the standard one from the Scooby donor. So potentially the one fitted when built in 1997. 20years isn't a bad run. Didn't consider changing it as the Scooby had far more electronic gizmo's than the Nova and as it was working in the donor, so couldn't see it being an issue!

But if I'm going to replace it then a little extra (over)capacity can't hurt.

Cheers all, comments and support much appreciated!