Page 22 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Paddy's Nova Mk2

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mostin View Post
    I think one of the main problems is the lack of weight over the front end. This means there is nothing pushing the tyres down on to the road.

Now off to find an anvil to mount on the bonnet.
    If you are using stock Beetle brakes and change the mass distribution (by changing the body style, for example), this is true, and has resulted in heavy custom bumpers to try and redress the balance. The first Porkie 911 had 20lb of lead moulded into the front bumpers.

The solution is balance - don't try and change the mass distribution to suit the standard brake bias, change the brake bias to suit the new mass distribution.

Paddy's disc/drum brakes, if left as standard, will not stop his lighter car faster than a stock Beetle, because the front wheels will lock up instantly, and using less pedal pressure will maintain control but produce less retardation. But with a balance bar and the same set-up, the bias can be adjusted so that the front wheels lock ever-so-slightly before the rears, allowing the full pedal pressure to be used. Paddy's lighter car now stops more quickly with the standard brakes than the Beetle ever could!

One thing you will find is that you will need to dial in more bias towards the rear of the car to get this optimum balance. This means the rear brakes will be working a lot harder than they did before, and a disc brake conversion will improve the efficiency, as well as reducing fade effects.

But the key to efficient braking is balance.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Anyone for a huge milestone?

Never be afraid to stand out from the crowd!

I've seen these photos somewhere before

Won't be long now and this will be on the road
    Last edited by bobbybrown; 18-05-2014 at 05:41 PM.

Very impressive. I like the spherical jointed accelerator and modified clutch and brake pedals. What's the next big milestone?

Lauren

Most impressive! Keep up the good work.

Another thing that can help with is to fit Type3 rear drums. They have about 50% (I think) more braking surface than the stock Type 1 drums, so require less pedal pressure for the same braking effect, resulting in a reduced likelihood of the fronts locking up. They are a straight bolt on upgrade and used in conjunction with a bias adjuster valve should be ideal.

I certainly plan on adding a bias valve to my T1/T3 set up.

P.
    cheers

Paul

Paddy your car is coming on well

Its always good to get to a mile stone in your build, it helps give you a boost when you feel your getting there

Mostin.
    “A plan is only a means of measuring where things went wrong”

Quote Originally Posted by wizrod View Post
    Another thing that can help with is to fit Type3 rear drums. They have about 50% (I think) more braking surface than the stock Type 1 drums
    That's interesting - by increasing the friction area at the back you are effectively changing the brake bias towards the rear, which is what you want. Clever stuff!

(I was once told that the "artful bodger" way of changing the bias on the E-body Baccarudas - notorious for locking the rear wheels due to the use of the braking system from the longer and heavier B-bodies - was to cut down the width of the rear drum shoes for exactly the same reason)

Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut View Post
    That's interesting - by increasing the friction area at the back you are effectively changing the brake bias towards the rear, which is what you want. Clever stuff!
    I hadn't heard of that one either. Not that I need it as I run rear discs, but I'll file it away as useful info in case any others need it.

Mechanicals looking good, I'm really interested to see how you execute the interior also