Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon's Nova

Re: Jon's Nova

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut
    Mmmm... hexagons... ahem

All I can think of is a vertical CNC mill, out of thick plastic sheet perhaps?

Looks very nice - is it for the rear numberplate?

Lauren

Interesting...I hadn't considered plastic (those I've worked with are too brittle to mill). Any idea what type would be suitable?

Yep, it's for the rear grille/number plate holder:

Mi amas mian Nova

It would need to withstand reasonably high temps, as the silencer & cat are right behind it.
    Mi amas mian Nova

Hi Jon. Your recent post is a coincidence as I recently posted a question about honeycomb shaped grill. I was pointed to a company on eBay that make the ideal stuff in the US. You may wish to check that recent post. It's not as thick as you require though. Only that would be made of plastic like Lauren suggested. If you do find a source please could you share with me? The only trouble with plastic is that it won't bend to form a shape whereas ally will.

Is there any chance you could post some photos of your Nova? I looked at your profile and posts and can't find any.

Giles.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Hmm, temperature could be a problem unless you use phenolic plastic, which as you say would probably be too brittle to use. I guess the reinforced Nylon used on cooling fans might be the kind of thing, if you can find some in sheet form. Nylatron might be another possible, or various formulations of PEEK (Poly Ethyl-Ethyl Ketone). I've used PEEK 450G in a satellite application and it machines really easily and can withstand massive temperature extremes.

The Prova Miura used some nice hand-made honeycomb grilles at the back made out of aluminium strips, probably bonded together. A painstaking alternative to ready-made products.

I guess Lambos much have a solution to the problem - as Giles says, Murcielagos, Gallardos and Aventadors all use this type of grille, covering radiator outlets, exhaust systems etc.

I did read that the Aventador (and its Reventon predecessor) had to use special high-temperature LEDs in the rear lamp clusters. Now that's attention to detail

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Club Nova Member

MicksRedNova2 may take longer than the original!!

Quote Originally Posted by NovaF4
    Hi Jon. Your recent post is a coincidence as I recently posted a question about honeycomb shaped grill. I was pointed to a company on eBay that make the ideal stuff in the US. You may wish to check that recent post. It's not as thick as you require though. Only that would be made of plastic like Lauren suggested. If you do find a source please could you share with me? The only trouble with plastic is that it won't bend to form a shape whereas ally will.

Is there any chance you could post some photos of your Nova? I looked at your profile and posts and can't find any.

Giles.
    Hi Giles,

Saw that, thanks. I sent my file to customcargrills for a quote & I'll let you know. He didn't sound too hopefull he could do it in 10mm though. The best options I have so far look like either 3 pieces in 3mm alu sandwiched together, or the plastic Lauren mentions below, which I'll check out next. Although the exterior of my rear panel is curved laterally, the grille is flat. The main advantage plastic would have is cost, as doing this in 10mm alu won't be cheap (unless Lauren's is weapons grade plastic in which case this might not be correct . As far as the process goes, a bunch of folks have recommended waterjet as opposed to laser or plasma, as it can easily handle the thickness. I'm just trying to find one local. I'll keep you updated on progress.

Sketches below. I had a bad year a while back & deleted them. Forgotten I'd done that, sorry

Thanks Mick - I'll check that out also.

Mi amas mian Nova

Today's snippets:

I'll definately leave PEEK 450G to NASA. It's a tad expensive

Mick - interesting stuff, but unfortunately it's a core only & supposed to be skinned. So not rigid enough on its own (plus 25mm max hole size).

No from customcargrills. They can't do it in aluminium, or that thick.

Apparently, unless they are in direct contact with metal, most underbonnet requirements for polymers are 120C. So polycarb is back in the running.

And it gets hit by the 2.5mm mroc sharp edge rule for IVA, which will mess up the look I was going for. Bugger .
    Mi amas mian Nova

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LotusNova
    Fair do's. I've only seen it in bar stock form anyway, but it's wicked stuff - you can bend it and twist it and it simply returns to its original shape. First question I received from my customer was "can I make a car out of this?"

Could you make one hexagon in relief and use it to make a negative mould in clay/plaster/something that sets hard and then layup the grille in fibreglass? Polyester resin should be OK up to a certain temperature...

I hope some more options present themselves.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacenut
    Quote Originally Posted by LotusNova
    Fair do's. I've only seen it in bar stock form anyway, but it's wicked stuff - you can bend it and twist it and it simply returns to its original shape. First question I received from my customer was "can I make a car out of this?"

Could you make one hexagon in relief and use it to make a negative mould in clay/plaster/something that sets hard and then layup the grille in fibreglass? Polyester resin should be OK up to a certain temperature...

I hope some more options present themselves.

Lauren
    It does look like tremendous stuff, just overkill for this I think.

I can always lay it up by hand if all else fails, but it would be a lot of work (the channels are only 5mm wide) and probably be a pig to finish.
    Mi amas mian Nova

Are you sure about the 2.5mm radius on this for sva. I think that you may be ok as they use a 100mm sphere to ascertain if a kids head can get hit by it and then the 2.5mm, for example the edge of a bonnet is easy to get hit by, so the radius has to be 2.5 or greater but the area where the indicators were recessed on my car was not considered an issue as the 100mm sphere wouldn't touch the back of the recess so no issue and my vertical grille bars were not to 2.5mm but again the 100mm sphere didn't touch them so they were deemed ok.
    I'm not saying it is definate but you maybe ok so I would do a little more investigation on this front before dismissing anything.
    Also you say SVA is this going to come back to the UK for this or do you have a system in France that you are going to go through. (sva no longer exists it is now BIVA and some of the rules have changed but I couldn't tell you what they are, however I do know that there is something about the screen, I think it has to be "E" marked as against the usual kyte mark of past. If you go on to the ACE site I think you can get a lot of info from there about the BIVA rules).