Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Chris's Yellow Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by Gaisa View Post
    Please elaborate Peter, do you mean standard AIR flow system? like the original exchangers, but using copper piping wrapped around the j-tubes?
    (Perhaps, if this goes much further, this should be bumped into a separate thread?)
    No, I was talking about water filled pipes. Water,it's always a problem with a rear engine car, I had 8 Skodas and getting heat into the matrix and coolant topped up at the front mounted radiator was a constant chore.
    Hot air from the heat exchangers is the best way and some ducting up the side pods is the way to go.
    Forward from the exhausts, through rear wall just above floor, a 90 with a flap through the side into the pod then forward and upwards to the dash area. with a cable operated flap as on original beetles at the rear wall to put air behind seats and flaps in the dash/footwell areas..
    I don't have any heat at all, cooling is my problem and that's a bigger job.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    No, I was talking about water filled pipes. Water,it's always a problem with a rear engine car, I had 8 Skodas and getting heat into the matrix and coolant topped up at the front mounted radiator was a constant chore.
    Hot air from the heat exchangers is the best way and some ducting up the side pods is the way to go.
    Forward from the exhausts, through rear wall just above floor, a 90 with a flap through the side into the pod then forward and upwards to the dash area. with a cable operated flap as on original beetles at the rear wall to put air behind seats and flaps in the dash/footwell areas..
    I don't have any heat at all, cooling is my problem and that's a bigger job.
    Understood
    I was focussing on the heating issues, not cooling
    And, as others mentioned, they can't always get away with using the original heat exchangers, which is why I latched onto the idea of making heat exchanger systems on alternate exhaust types...
    I envision pre-wrapping the exhaust pipes to protect them from galvanic issues (Thanks for the heads up Dirk!), then wrapping copper piping around the pipes, before using something akin to exhaust wrap to protect them.
    The above copper piping, if done correctly, could be used as a potential alternative.
    As for sufficient air flow, I was considering multiple pipes wrapped around the exhaust, where their air in and out merge to a larger pipe. Its a little convoluted, but it SOUNDS feasible. And yes, I'm only focussing on the "exchanger alternative" all of us here are more than capable of figuring out the rest :P

Understood
    I was focussing on the heating issues, not cooling
    And, as others mentioned, they can't always get away with using the original heat exchangers, which is why I latched onto the idea of making heat exchanger systems on alternate exhaust types...
    I envision pre-wrapping the exhaust pipes to protect them from galvanic issues (Thanks for the heads up Dirk!), then wrapping copper piping around the pipes, before using something akin to exhaust wrap to protect them.
    The above copper piping, if done correctly, could be used as a potential alternative.
    As for sufficient air flow, I was considering multiple pipes wrapped around the exhaust, where their air in and out merge to a larger pipe. Its a little convoluted, but it SOUNDS feasible. And yes, I'm only focussing on the "exchanger alternative" all of us here are more than capable of figuring out the rest :P
    If you are any good at welding stainless then my 'Plan A' would be a solution. Get a stainless J pipe, and another piece of stainless pipe of larger diameter, put large piece over J pipe and weld a couple of end plates to make a sealed chamber. Pop in a couple of small diameter tubes for feed and return, bobs your wotsit.
    However, it failed on a number of points: Welding end plates left pin holes that leaked. A standard J pipe runs close to the rocker cover so the oversize jacket means you can't get it off without removing exhaust. Finally the J pipes were slightly distorted 'by welding I suspect' which meant they didn't line up well with standard back box.
    Hence 'Plan B' that Dirk mentions. Bending the copper pipe in tight coils is the hard bit. Shame it corroded as it did work. The pump I used was from a solar panel supplier. The type that uses a trough on your house roof and circulates water that heats with the sun.
    Pictures in my thread have suffered the PhotoBucket issue; I will try to fix that sometime. But there are some on my homepage.
    Best of luck.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

Quote Originally Posted by MicksRedNova View Post
    Pictures in my thread have suffered the PhotoBucket issue; I will try to fix that sometime. But there are some on my homepage.
    Best of luck.

Mick

Upload all your images and videos to a folder on your PC then download onto www.vgy.me.
    I actually prefer vgy now. it is a pain to do but you only have to do it once.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK

If you are any good at welding stainless then my 'Plan A' would be a solution. . .
    Mick
    I've welded stainless before, but the problems you described along with how hard it is to work stainless make it more than a little prohibitive.
    I personally prefer the copper coil jacket idea, because its easier for me to work, but as I described above, with some protective measures to try and eliminate the corrosion issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Upload all your images and videos to a folder on your PC then download onto www.vgy.me.
    I actually prefer vgy now. it is a pain to do but you only have to do it once.
    I already have them all on my PC, and opened a vgy account. Its the activity of going through all the threads I have ever posted to, and resetting the URL that puts me off. Instead I'm slowly hosting it on my own server (Raspberry Pi) that runs my website. Lack of time is the only holdup, roll-on retirement :-)

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

I've welded stainless before, but the problems you described along with how hard it is to work stainless make it more than a little prohibitive.
    I personally prefer the copper coil jacket idea, because its easier for me to work, but as I described above, with some protective measures to try and eliminate the corrosion issues.
    Just for info the water jacket is on a page of my site here http://www.micksrednova.co.uk/page_4.htm but I havn't posted the copper coil photos on my homesite yet, so can't point you towards them.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

Just for info the water jacket is on a page of my site here http://www.micksrednova.co.uk/page_4.htm but I havn't posted the copper coil photos on my homesite yet, so can't point you towards them.

Mick
    I just took a look and did a mental facepalm for over complicating things in my head!
    Those look VERY good and appear to be much simpler than I originally thought!
    Heck, if I couldn't do that myself, I know who could! VERY nice!
    Similarly, depending on the internals, the overall design seems like it could work as an air based heat exchanger too (with larger inlet and outlet piping).
    You've given me much food for thought Mick!
    Thanks

I already have them all on my PC, and opened a vgy account. Its the activity of going through all the threads I have ever posted to, and resetting the URL that puts me off. Instead I'm slowly hosting it on my own server (Raspberry Pi) that runs my website. Lack of time is the only holdup, roll-on retirement :-)

Mick
    Then you definitely will have no time. Never been so busy as the last 7 years.