Page 78 of 83 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 ... LastLast

Thread: Micks Red Nova

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Mick
    Thatís a really nice update on a bike that has come down the family, and sentimental value is everything.
    My matchless is linked to my father in law who passed a few years ago now, who lived the brand, so I can never sell.
    To ride something so old just puts a massive smile on my face. Doing 50 is more than enough! !

Mick,
    Great to see the little Villiers running, all that is left of my last bike is the fairing. One day I may buy another bike to put it on. (GPZ750)

Isn't it a great feeling when you fire up the kit car engine for the first time.

Looking forward to seeing the next installment.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    Mick,

Isn't it a great feeling when you fire up the kit car engine for the first time.

Bushboy
    Yup, Iíd forgotten how satisfying it is to hear the the cough, stutter, brrrrrrrm sound of a plan coming together 🙂. Engines and electrics have always been my favourite bits of garage work. I wish my head worked in 3 dimensions so I could be equally comfortable with the whole body / design / finish aspects of kitcar work. Iíve been putting off the seat, gear lever and steering column positioning aspects of the build as Iím sure Iíll have to keep moving things to make it all work. Unfortunately I seem to have run out of other stuff now so gonna bite the bullet so I can drive it up and down the driveway sometime soon 😁.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

Quote Originally Posted by MicksRedNova View Post
    Yup, Iíd forgotten how satisfying it is to hear the the cough, stutter, brrrrrrrm sound of a plan coming together 🙂. Engines and electrics have always been my favourite bits of garage work. I wish my head worked in 3 dimensions so I could be equally comfortable with the whole body / design / finish aspects of kitcar work. Iíve been putting off the seat, gear lever and steering column positioning aspects of the build as Iím sure Iíll have to keep moving things to make it all work. Unfortunately I seem to have run out of other stuff now so gonna bite the bullet so I can drive it up and down the driveway sometime soon 😁.

Mick
    I can do that, kinda see things as they will be and it is a curse, never seem to finish. Better to go at it blind to a plan.

The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?Ē JFK

http://ukhozi.page.tl

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Better to go at it blind.
    Yup, that sounds like my approach, make it up as you go along. Even more so with me using the PVB chassis where thereís not even a Nova Build Manual to take advice from (or ignore)....

I had a revelation last night and decided I can use wood temporarily to mount the seat to get a good indication of where everything needs to fit. I feel my first drive of the PVB chassis growing closer 😁

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    Congratulations Mick! SOOOOOO far ahead of me now........
    Ah, but you have a body cut and fitted to the chassis, so can actually place things. I havenít even started that bit yet, still working on the Ďchopped upí body from MicksRedNova 1.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

Today Iíve been generating lots of dust in the workshop by chopping holes in the dash panel to accommodate the MGTF cross-body support tube that mounts the power steering column. It looks like everything will fit under the original dash cover.

Next job is fill and bleed the clutch and brake lines then see if it rolls under power

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

Is using a modified MGTF dash to mate to the rear Nova dash section not an option? I assume the MGTF dash is quite narrow?

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    Nice update - quite a build this. It is going to be a solidly constructed car.

Presumably the silver electric motor in the middle picture is the steering power assist? Good feature.

Is that the final steering wheel position (height)?
    I was planning on putting mine as close as possible to the underside of the dash panel (where you have 2 small holes cut). Does the current height work for you?

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Nice update - quite a build this. It is going to be a solidly constructed car.

Presumably the silver electric motor in the middle picture is the steering power assist? Good feature.

Is that the final steering wheel position (height)?
    I was planning on putting mine as close as possible to the underside of the dash panel (where you have 2 small holes cut). Does the current height work for you?
    Hi Steve

Yes, electric power steering, and the complete column, switchgear and wiring from the MGTF. If it turns out to be too helpful thereís a track mod where you can just switch it off.

The two holes were where the Beetle column fitted in my original build under the dash, with a metal spreader plate above. The MGTF column is height adjustable but I have it set to itís highest and itís comfortable for me in my aftermarket MX5 seat.

Itís a bit of a juggling act trying to find the Ďcorrectí position for seat, steering, pedals, gear lever and handbrake as they are all inter-dependant on each other. I thought I had found the ideal position last week only to find that the steering column was slap bang between the accelerator and brake pedals. I took it all apart and re-welded the brackets, only to find I had raised it too high and exceeded the range of movement of the column UJ. So I took it all out again and split the difference between the two bracket positions and it seems ok now. Sometimes itís 2 steps forward and 3 steps back 😊

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)