Page 83 of 83 FirstFirst ... 3373818283

Thread: Micks Red Nova

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I agree, that rear end looks very close and wouldn't take too much to make a plug, Brett would go that route I am sure, blend it all together and a set of multi function 'Fezzer/Corvette' lights and I reckon it would look great. Certainly got my imagination going again, dam it!

Forgive my attempts at a two minuet idea of it. You will probably hate the lights.

Attachment 4026
    Thanks Peter
    If only you could photoshop the real thing. Maybe someone with a big enough 3D printer could just print me one

My skills with fibreglassing are near non-existent so my effort is always going to look like something Frankenstein stitched together. However, without a serviceable rear valance I would love to use the plastic bumper Ďas isí bolted to a solid frame member, just like in the MG and modify the rear of the nova to match the curved profile.

Anybody know if paint sticks to plastic? Or do you need to prep it with something?

Those same lights have been sitting in my eBay Ďsavedí box as I think they may fit inside the buckets from my original Nova; I donít like them surface mounted though.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

Quote Originally Posted by MicksRedNova View Post
    My skills with fibreglassing are near non-existent so my effort is always going to look like something Frankenstein stitched together.
    Its really not so hard Mick, take a look at my thread and see how I matted two different dashes together. The principles here are the same with the rear end, in fact probably easier as no tight bends or intricate details.

Yes I agree if you could mate the MG rear end to the Nova body it would look sensational so I concur that you should try making a buck to produce a suitable mould. As well as Daves method carving foam you could consider Bretts method when he made his bonnet using a cloth membrane to provide the contours needed - see here if you haven't already followed it:- http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...ew-Hood-Bonnet
    "The most beautiful kit car in the world - Motor"

http://stores.lulu.com/rightsigns

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    Yes I agree if you could mate the MG rear end to the Nova body it would look sensational so I concur that you should try making a buck to produce a suitable mould. As well as Daves method carving foam you could consider Bretts method when he made his bonnet using a cloth membrane to provide the contours needed - see here if you haven't already followed it:- http://www.euro-nova.co.uk/vb/showth...ew-Hood-Bonnet
    and

Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    Its really not so hard Mick, take a look at my thread and see how I matted two different dashes together. The principles here are the same with the rear end, in fact probably easier as no tight bends or intricate details.
    Both
    I understand the principles behind the whole buck/mould making process but have never done it and my inability to Ďvisualiseí in 3 dimensions and lack of artistic ability means I would miss something obvious and probably waste days of effort and masses of materials. My approach is a bit like Steve McHugh: make a support structure to hold things in the correct position on the car, add foam then filler till you get the shape, then dissolve the foam and replace with enough mat/resin to hold everything in place. Job done.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

Ummm - no help at the moment, but since mine will be clam-shelled and there will have to be moulds to produce it -hopefully in carbon fibre if I'm feeling flush, there will always be the chance of turning out more than one.... (same with the T-roof, only have the mould for the two panels, but the whole canopy will be done eventually!) When the tractor shed is finished I may even get back to working on the body again
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3 View Post
    Ummm - no help at the moment, but since mine will be clam-shelled and there will have to be moulds to produce it -hopefully in carbon fibre if I'm feeling flush, there will always be the chance of turning out more than one.... (same with the T-roof, only have the mould for the two panels, but the whole canopy will be done eventually!) When the tractor shed is finished I may even get back to working on the body again
    Alex,
    Shortly I will be finished with my butchered Nova back end. If itís any use to you in creating the mould for your clamshell youíre welcome to it.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

Alex,
    Shortly I will be finished with my butchered Nova back end. If itís any use to you in creating the mould for your clamshell youíre welcome to it.

Mick
    Hi Mick - that might well be useful as the rear of the blue shell was very hacked about by Sam Cobley's lot when they were attempting to fit it to the original mid-engine chassis.....
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Thanks Peter
    If only you could photoshop the real thing. Maybe someone with a big enough 3D printer could just print me one

My skills with fibreglassing are near non-existent so my effort is always going to look like something Frankenstein stitched together. However, without a serviceable rear valance I would love to use the plastic bumper Ďas isí bolted to a solid frame member, just like in the MG and modify the rear of the nova to match the curved profile.

Anybody know if paint sticks to plastic? Or do you need to prep it with something?

Those same lights have been sitting in my eBay Ďsavedí box as I think they may fit inside the buckets from my original Nova; I donít like them surface mounted though.

Mick
    Hi Mick
    If you want to paint plastic use an adhesion promoter to base the panel then add a flexible additive to 2k topcoat paint so it won't crack and craze with movement

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemrb View Post
    Hi Mick
    If you want to paint plastic use an adhesion promoter to base the panel then add a flexible additive to 2k topcoat paint so it won't crack and craze with movement

Mike
    Thanks for the info. Can I use cellulose paint? I donít have facilities to spray 2k.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

Thanks for the info. Can I use cellulose paint? I donít have facilities to spray 2k.

Mick
    You can use a primer designed for plastic with cellulose but the flex additive is for 2k

Mike