Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Micks Red Nova

pic should be a 14mm as I sent a detail set of photos with all stud and wheel measurments.
    http://jimsnova.page.tl/
    Club Nova / avante membership 031

Quote Originally Posted by jimcub
    pic should be a 14mm as I sent a detail set of photos with all stud and wheel measurments.
    OK

14mm Nuts I can get - that look just like your photo - but the sleeve or shank (the bit with the washer on) is too big (by 1/16") to fit my wheels.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

Well, Speedy Cables ( http://www.speedycables.co.uk/ ) were true to their name and supplied me with a speedo cable to go from Beetle wheel to Smiths speedo in about a week from ordering it. It's now fitted to the car and works so thats another tick on the job-list.

Bracket made for the brake fluid reservoir, just need to fit it.

Went to a local engineering shop about my wheel-nut issue and they think they can help - just waiting for a quote now.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

Well - bad news from the machine shop. I stopped off today to pick up my wheel that I dropped off on Friday for them to assess.

The engineer quoted £45 per wheel to get the holes bored out by 1/16 inch.

That was a big shock, I was expecting about £40 for the whole job, based on: an hours labour to set up a jig and about 15 mins per wheel to ream the holes. They certainly know how to charge - what on earth hourly rate are these guys on?.

So I now need to search for another machine shop or an alternative solution.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

Buy a milling machine

Unfortunately most engineering shops are going to charge a similar rate, since their per hour rate is probably higher than most garages if you could find a home engineer with a milling machine (there are a lot of them about - though sorry I've sold mine.....) you could probably get it done for a lot less, Mick.
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by jimcub
    Buy a milling machine
    Not such an outrageous idea as it happens not a milling machine but a lathe.

I decided that an easier route to fitting my wheels would be to use M12 nuts and turn down / re-thread the M14 studs to fit. Steve from SPEEDSHACK sent me a used M12 nut to try (FOC - top man ) which is a perfect fit. So the engineering job now required is to turn down and re-thread the outer 38mm of the stud.

Taking Jim's advice I decided to hunt for my own personal lathe and found a jolly nice Axminster Micro Lathe http://www.axminster.co.uk/pricing/INC/ ... -33289.htm on EBlag (for less than the previous quote for enlarging the wheel holes).

Now all I need is a crash course in Latheing (is that a word) and a M12 x 1.5 die to cut the threads.

Hands up all those who have their own lathe I bet Alex and Bushboy both have one.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

I cheated and bought a real cheap tap and die set, but has been worth it's weight in gold and I have never snapper any. think they were from nfautos.
    They come in very small up to 12 x 1.5, there is a thread guide so you know what metric thread you have a s well.

Hiya Micks
    Myford Super Seven,

Was gonna suggest you turn the washers on the nuts down to suit the counterbores in the wheels but wasn't sure if your bores would let you get a socket on the nuts. If you wanna bring a wheel and all your nuts up to Sussex. Or just bring the studs and a die. We could arrange a few lessons for a small quantity of rocket fuel

DjH

BTW,
    It's called "Turning" or, If you're in a tool room? "Precision Turning"
    Dj