Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Micks Red Nova

Quote Originally Posted by MicksRedNova

Hands up all those who have their own lathe I bet Alex and Bushboy both have one.

Mick
    guilty as charged but no mill. I do have a mate just up the road that has in his tiny shed 3 laths a mill & a power hacksaw. Good thing he is into old bikes as he could not fit a car in his shed

bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

Ditto

In fact I've just this week brought my Myford here from the old house (I've got a vertical slide so it will do a bit of milling.....) - I have to be nice to the ex if I want to use the BIG Herbert capstan - it weighs around 2 tons and is pretty much built into the barn - so I'm unlikely ever to shift it again It's big enough to skim brake discs and the like with ease - Love it!
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Best bet for dies when you have something important to do is stump up for a proper split one - the cheap sets are fine to a point (mostly for cleaning up damaged threads really) but if you look closely at the cut they give, you'll see it's rough and teary - with a split die and the proper die stock - you can cut with the die fully open then run the adjuster out a bit until you're spot on. It's the same with taps - they come in sets of three for each size for a purpose, first second and finishing - a mixed set will only give you either a second or finishing.........

Make sure you give yourself a good lead in (gentle bevel) for the die to start on, it's really easy not to get the thread running true with the shaft. Glad you're not launching straight into thread cutting on the lathe - it's not sooooo difficult but you'd want to have a few spare blanks.....
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!

Alex

Thanks. I already have a collection of Dies, Imperial and Metric, of the split variety but sods law strikes and I don't have an M12 x 1.5 (just an M12 x 1.25 which is no use). A quick trawl through the web shows a massive difference in price (screwfix complete set £29.99 upto a quote of £58 for a Dormer single Die of the correct size). I (only) have 16 studs to put a thread on, but I want to do a decent job, so it's not really cost effective to pay top whack for a Die that I may never use again. Something will come up.

In terms of technique I found a suggestion on a website to mount your Die holder in the lathe tailstock which helps get the first few threads on straight. Sounds a good idea to me.

Last night had my first bash at a few practice cuts and finally turned (note use of correct terminology ) one of my studs down to 12mm. A most therapeutic and satisfying exercise.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

Great isn't it?!!!! I've got a tailstock dieholder, which you're welcome to borrow if it's the right diameter for your die - in fact, I'll have a look and see if I have the right die tomorrow - (can't be bothered to go and look now!) If I have you're welcome to borrow both.

Quote Originally Posted by Alzax3
    Great isn't it?!!!! I've got a tailstock dieholder, which you're welcome to borrow if it's the right diameter for your die - in fact, I'll have a look and see if I have the right die tomorrow - (can't be bothered to go and look now!) If I have you're welcome to borrow both.
    Thanks Alex - my mini-lathe has an MT-1 tailstock, which is quite small if your die holder is for a Myford. But appreciate the offer. If you have a Die (m12 x 1.5) I would be happy to pay postage both ways and will fabricate a die holder if necessary.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

Hi Mick

Well, having slagged off the un-split type of die, of course the only M12x1.5 I've got is, you've guessed it, an un-split one. Don't think it's ever been used though, and it's a relatively decent high carbon steel, not cheese. I've got a double-ended aluminium tailstock holder - one end takes this size die (25mm) , the other the next diameter down. It's 80mm long, and built to have a 13mm shaft up the middle of it - can your tailstock/rear drill chuck accomodate that? Anyway - that's what I've got to offer...... Cheers Alex

Alex
    Thanks for the offer. I have decided to make life hard for myself and use my lathe to turn a tailstock die holder - loosley based on the idea on this website: http://metalworking.majosoft.com/html/b ... older.html

I've ordered some materials from here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/themccoys/

I think I may have found a source of cheap split die, more info later. If not I may come back to you to take up your offer of a loan.

Thanks

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

Yup, that looks almost exactly the same as mine except it's steel and single ended...........

Right, I was busy during the last couple of weeks (hiding in the garage to keep as far away from Chr****as as possible, bah humbug ) - successfully made a die holder to go on my lathe, and then machined and threaded all 16 wheel-studs. I now have my wheels fitted firmly - and shoulder muscles like popeye from all that thread cutting. The car looks much better (I think) with the wheels mounted on the 1 inch spacers as they fill the arches much better.

Job done - only 69 tasks left on my list now.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)