Page 80 of 83 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast

Thread: Micks Red Nova

Owners Register Admin & Euro-Nova Supporter BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by islandman View Post
    I've probably got some Alistair, just not sure when I'm in the UK next
    Thanks David

Well I was hoping to have posted a video of me driving MRN2 in and out of the garage by now but seem to have a stuck clutch ☹️. After connecting, filling and bleeding the brakes and clutch line the brakes are all working fine but the clutch refuses to free off. It seems to be a ‘thing’ when your cars been sitting for a while, personally never come across it before but now need to free it off; preferably without dropping the engine and box, which is a lot harder with a mid engined MG lump than with a Beetle engine.

I’m hoping some of the advice from various MG forums will help, but starting the engine in gear, on my drive, in an untested car sounds like a recipe for a ‘You Been Framed’ calamity. Anyway, watch this space as my garage security Cam will no doubt capture any disaster. If it works I’ll do a walk-round that someone requested. 😎

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

MicksRedNova2 may take as long as the original!!

Try disconnecting the coil (so it won't fire), leave the handbrake off, put it in first gear (if you can, or any gear it will go in) then turn the starter. It should move the car forward slowly on the starter. Then try the clutch again, it may be just enough to break any seal the clutch has on the input shaft. Nothing to lose, and no danger of running into the garage

My donor did that while sitting around - Islandmans suggestion wasn't neccesary for mine as there was enough space behind, lurching back and forth a couple of times cured the problem. another potential interesting occurrence is the clutch slave seizing (they do!) with similar symptoms also the alternators seize causing huge amounts of smoke and a ruined multi-v belt....
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Thanks for the advice Alex and David.

In the end I cleared about 30 feet of drive, pushed the car out of the garage, stuck it in first with the clutch pressed and turned the key. It fired up before I stabbed the brakes and stalled the engine. Repeat in reverse, Repeat in 1st. After 3 attempts I managed to free the clutch and get the engine turning whilst in gear, but the clutch was dragging.
    I concluded that the throw of the slave cylinder was insufficient, caused by short travel of the pedal. After puzzling over how to fix it I drilled a new hole for the master cylinder clevis pin in the pedal shaft slightly higher than the original. Fixed it .

Although I did video the escapade today it was so windy the quality was poor so now the clutch is working properly I’ll drive it again tomorrow and try video again.

PS. The brakes are tremendous, easily locking all 4 wheels solid on my gravel drive.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

Excellent news Mick! You must be feeling great. Well done!

Alistair

***Euro-Nova Supporter***
    Blog Entries
    You're on fire mate.

Today was just as windy with showers so no video yet but I took these pics yesterday.

I realise is not very ‘Nova’ shaped, but I’m currently using just the tub part of the old body to test things.

Today I decided to move the fuel tank from its current precarious position just inside the left wheel arch by reworking the hard fuel lines to put it inside the cockpit so I can work out how much of the rear end bodywork needs to be cut out..

The 8mm to 6mm plastic hose joiner I bought broke in the move so I dragged my mini lathe out today and turned this from a piece of alloy bar that came from a redundant computer printer. A very therapeutic use of an hour.

Maybe the sun will shine tomorrow.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)

Looking great Mick, albeit a wee bit ‘buggy like’, and a very satisfying bit of turning!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNova View Post
    Looking great Mick, albeit a wee bit ‘buggy like’, and a very satisfying bit of turning!
    Thanks Alistair. I did debate whether to post the ‘stunted Nova look’ in case people thought I’d gone buggy, but it is an excellent way of placing things and mocking-up without having to fight with the complete body shell coming on and off.

Looking at the closeup of my finger/thumb I realise why I have so much trouble using the fingerprint access to my IPad and IPhone. With so much recent garage work, without the use of gloves, due to them being redeployed by Eerindoors for virus protection, and so much extra hand washing, my fingerprints are disappearing

Still, I’m so glad I have a hobby/pass time that benefits from being isolated.

Mick
    Club Nova Member (F-036)