Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: Jems Avante

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Re: Jems Avante

"Helm, four points to Starboard!!!"

Yes, if you have taken all the slop out of the box, tracking may help. Just a dash of toe-in should do, but check the rear tracking as well - too much rear toe-in can also lead to understeer.

Welcome to the next phase of development - on-the-road engineering

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

I have been looking forward to on road engineering for so many years. I know why the suspension creaks, my silly fault, I tightened up the end plates whilst the car was still jacked up, so I've got to get that sorted.
    Follow my Avante Build - Target = Stoneleigh 2012 Definitely!!

Suspension creaks sorted, so one less strange noise
    Road testrs have revealed two things, firstly the front end is terribly skittish, it almost feels like the front wheels are doing two different things, I've even got a hop and a slide when cornering very slowly! Not good. I think I need a couple of bags of cement in the front ewnd, its just so light!
    The other is the alternator isn't throwing out any charge, as I found out during a trip around my estate this evening, and once the lights started to dim I headed for home, and yes once I'd stopped, it was dead! So I need to check the wiring tomorrow to see whats going on.

Do the tracking now before you do anything else on the front end plus check your tyre pressures.

Nice to hear you are now mobile welldone and enjoy the ride you deserve it.

Tyre pressures done (yes they were in the low 20's) and I will take it in to sort out the tracking. The alternator is the problem now. I won't get to Stoneleigh on battery power

If it goes on like this you'll need water-wings! If it's not the wiring and you're using a VW alternator, the control unit is available as a refreshingly in-expensive replacement!
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Are you using the Ford alternator? if so then you should have one or two thick wires, one goes to the starter motor and one to the battery plus side, you will then have a small wire from your ignition switch.
    In some cases you may only have one thick wire and one thin one, thick one to battery or again the starter motor (to the same terminal on the solenoid as the one from the battery) and the small one will be from the ignition switch again.
    The small wire needs to be 12v live when the ignition is switched on and the charging light needs to be lit (the 12v feed from the ignition goes through the light and the light only lights up because the other end of the wire goes to the alternator that when not turning over is the earth for the light to work).
    A bit long winded I know but basically check the light works when the ignition is turned on and check that you have 12v at the terminal on the alternator on the smaller wire, start the engine and if the light goes out then you have some form of a working alternator, now switch on the headlights and rev the engine to see if the lights get brighter when rev'd if they don't then the alternator isn't giving out any power (which you already suspect anyway).
    Alternatively whip the alternator off and go to an old school auto electric's place and get them to test rig it, if dead get another one, (probably too late for them to test and then repair for the time you want).
    If the above makes sense, great, if you already knew all that then I'm trying to tell my grandmother how to suck eggs again. Good luck, hope you make your goal this year.
    Oh alternators don't care which way they run to give a charge so if you can't get the right one but can make another one fit elsewhere then don't worry about it as it will still charge.

Got the alternator fitted no probs, and all charging. Bonus is on the alternator I got, I have a 12v pulse output, so I can wire up the tachometer too.
    However it's all irrelevant for now, as I have a bigger problem. CVH engines drop valve seats at random, and mine did yesterday whilst testing for Stoneleigh. So the engine has started eating itself. Only cure, new engine! To say I am a little bit pissed off would be an understatement.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar

Ouch! Really sorry to hear that Jem. You were missed

Is the engine completely beyond repair? You've almost certainly bent one valve, and messed up the combustion chamber in the head, possibly even holed a piston (its happened to me), but other than the affected conrod (which might be bent) I would have thought the bottom end could be saved? Maybe all you need is a replacement cylinder head?

I guess the first thing to do is strip the head off and assess the extent of the damage. I hope it is less severe than you think.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

It depends whether fragments have damaged the cylinders, apparently its a good idea not to read about this on the internet! The valve seat can be sucked back into the inlet manifold, and then sent to another cylinder to have fun and games in there too!
    Luckily my spare CVH engine looks good, and will be pushed into service sooner than I thought!
    On the steering side, it looks like my front beam has taken a bash at some stage, and is out of straight, I don't know why I havent noticed before, the stabiliser bar is further from the beam on the offside, and you can visibly see the top beam is bent. That can't be good! So my spare front beam, complete with swayaways will also be in service very soon, and there was me thinking of selling the spare beam!!!
    Anyways plenty of garage time needed, and at least I've had the chance to drive around!
    I got to Stones around 1.00 today, it was very drab, very wet, and I think many people had started making there way home. Only 3 Novas left by then. Why is it that when I plan to go on the first day, the second day is the best? and vice versa?? Next year, I'm camping!!