Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canopy latches

Canopy latches

I know, all these questions and I don't even have a car. I feel that it is better to ask while you think about it rather than wait until you forget. Anyways, onto the question.

I have seen many pictures with the stock latch on the canopy - the big handle in the middle of the back. I have also seen a number without this latch. What are the alternatives that people use to replace the stock latch?

Re: Canopy latches

I'm sure that Lauren can give you more details and history on the locking of the canopies. It really depends on your mode of opening & closing. The originals were manual & had spring assistance so thus had to have a locking mechanism.

Most now have either hydraulic or linear actuators. These systems dont need a locking mechanism as the former uses the hydraulic pressure to keep th elid down & the linear actuators just cant be moved due to internal gearing of the drive motor.

Thought you were confused before......you are now!!!

Hope that dribble helps you a bit.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

It makes sense, kind of. Did all Nova/Sterling cars come with a latch originally and manual springs? Or did CCC (or equivalent) offer a hydraulic option?

As Bushboy says, Lauren will give you chapter and verse on fittings history - but I'm pretty sure that the original run of cars was manual (gas strut assisted) canopy only, with the Landrover type door catch in the centre rear of the roof. To get the canopy to sit down tight, there were usually a pair of over-centre catches on the side of the cockpit, just before the dashboard started. Obviously with a hydraulic canopy, any sort of manual catch is undesireable - forget to open it and the catch gets ripped out of the fibreglass....... My car (Mk1) has the well in the roof for the handle - but it's never had one fitted so must have been hydraulic from the outset.
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Quote Originally Posted by vpogv
    It makes sense, kind of. Did all Nova/Sterling cars come with a latch originally and manual springs? Or did CCC (or equivalent) offer a hydraulic option?
    CCC offered three levels for the canopy: full manual, with the garage-door sized springs for opening; an electric actuator and full hydraulic. I've seen the manual versions converted to the pneumatic gas rams instead of the springs, too, since they take up less space. My car was full hydraulic from the factory and still retained the latching mechanism at the back of the canopy. I kept it because it seemed to help tighten the canopy against rattling when it was closed.

Then I'll re-phrase that: Obviously with a hydraulic canopy and remote opening any kind of manual catch is undesireable!
    It's a 52 year old car and everything works, just not always at the same time.......and it's probably about to get jealous!
    *Donate to Euro-Nova today!*

Better, Alex! Though there were times that I forgot to swing the latch open before hitting the switch to get out....the sudden straining noise on the motor alerted me before disaster struck!

Here in Oz, they were manual lift at first, and not too much later, they started using hydraulic lifters. Electric actuators didn't appear until later.

Those that had the manual lifters had the same 'Landrover lock' as seen on the Nova's (& Stirlings?). And as Alzax said, there were some style of catch on the sides just back from the dash. One in common use here were rubber ones like on the Moke's bonnet.

Mine is currently manual lift, with gas rams, like those from a hatch. But it was only some 7 months ago that some catches were fitted to the side.

Quote Originally Posted by CyCo
    Mine is currently manual lift, with gas rams, like those from a hatch. But it was only some 7 months ago that some catches were fitted to the side.
    Any pictures of those catches by chance?

Um, no. Don't think so. Had a quick look at the photos I took at least years annual meet, and no photos of the cockpit area. I hope to take it for spin later next week, so I'll try to remember to take some photos for you.

Thought I'd add this photo though. So, I have gas rams from a hatch. But they travel way to far forward. So, Simon's hi-tech solution...