Page 65 of 68 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast

Thread: Pog's sterling....

Some more information after playing around with it:

1. Taking some of the canopy weight off (ie: lifting the canopy with my hands as it goes down) on the passenger (right) side does reduce the bounce but doesn't get rid of it.

2. When I start to open the canopy when it's fully closed the driver's side (left) starts up almost a full second sooner then the right side starts to lift.

3. When the canopy was completely off there was no bounce.

Take this with a grain of salt because I know nothing about these systems but could trapped air in the system cause the issue or a sticking valve(if there are any)
    I know you can compress air and that may be the reason why one side moves before the other side does, and why it bounces.

Just taking a shot in the dark

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Take this with a grain of salt because I know nothing about these systems but could trapped air in the system cause the issue or a sticking valve(if there are any)
    I know you can compress air and that may be the reason why one side moves before the other side does, and why it bounces.

Just taking a shot in the dark
    I talked to a local hydraulic shop not an hour ago and after explaining what happened he said exactly that and it does make sense as it all worked fine until the lines blew out the first time.

I'm guessing it's on the bottom part of the right cylinder which means I'm going to need to pull it out, turn it upside down and try and get it bled so the air goes up and out. Not sure of a better approach to get the air out.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vpogv View Post
    I talked to a local hydraulic shop not an hour ago and after explaining what happened he said exactly that and it does make sense as it all worked fine until the lines blew out the first time.

I'm guessing it's on the bottom part of the right cylinder which means I'm going to need to pull it out, turn it upside down and try and get it bled so the air goes up and out. Not sure of a better approach to get the air out.
    Do you have a brake bleeder vacuum pump kit? That might do the trick by drawing the fluid (and air!) out of the system rather than you having to dismantle it. Remember to keep topping the fluid up though!

I bought one when I filled my new brake pipes and it worked reasonably well. I've not got into the hydraulics for my roof yet but the principles are similar. Here's a wee video to explain what I'm talking about ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGjuTOUM2QI

Alistair
    Last edited by BlueNova; 09-09-2021 at 08:31 PM.

That would work for bleeding the lines but there's no way to vent or open up the cylinder to bleed the air. If air is trapped on the bottom of the cylinder it will rise up and always be against the piston inside. When you run the pump the air will be the very last part to leave the cylinder and never make it back to the pump to get bled away.

My plan is to completely compress the cylinder and add a little fluid to it to get rid of any air. Then reattach the line which is completely bled. Perhaps not fool proof but not sure of a better way.

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** BlueNova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vpogv View Post
    That would work for bleeding the lines but there's no way to vent or open up the cylinder to bleed the air. If air is trapped on the bottom of the cylinder it will rise up and always be against the piston inside. When you run the pump the air will be the very last part to leave the cylinder and never make it back to the pump to get bled away.

My plan is to completely compress the cylinder and add a little fluid to it to get rid of any air. Then reattach the line which is completely bled. Perhaps not fool proof but not sure of a better way.
    Fair enough vpogv, as I said I've not yet got to restoring my hydraulics so I don't know all the 'ins and outs' of the system.

... hope you get yours fixed without too much bother!

Alistair

I appreciate all the input and suggestions!

My plan is.........a better way.

YES, it is the only way to bled the system or cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by dango View Post
    My plan is.........a better way.

YES, it is the only way to bled the system or cylinder.
    I must have missed which way that is. Can you explain it by chance?

Hi try open your canopy and support it open disconnect the top ram bolt from the arm so it free to move unrestricted, with the pump tilt it so the reservoir is uppermost, now run the system up and down a few times, it should run faster with no resistance on the rams and should purge the system of air, also make sure your haven’t over filled the reservoir as it would help if you can run the pump with the fill plug removed or loose to release air
    Mike