Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 64654555657 LastLast

Thread: Pog's sterling....

***Euro-Nova Supporter*** Spacenut's Avatar
    I've seen that type of pipe before - it's pukka hydraulic hose (I have the same type on my hydraulic throttle assembly - which is US sourced), but I have found the unions to be a weak point - they use a brass olive over the end of the pipe and then a threaded compression fitting to secure it. On two occasions now my throttle union has loosened at the master cylinder end and allowed fluid to leak out - the first time I was on my way to Stanford Hall in the Midlands, about 100 miles from home, and in the middle of a torrential downpour when I found that I could only get part-throttle with my foot to the boards! Fortunately I managed to nurse the car home before I lost all throttle travel.

I wouldn't be surprised if the compression fitting allowed the Nylon tube to fly off under pressure Pog. So I would recommend replacement as well, I'm sorry to say.

Lauren
    only Pythagoras can save me now!

Glad that all is intact (Windscreen) for starters. God advice to use made to measure swagged fitting for the canopy. Would hurt if it hit you on the way down if it broke again.

Bushboy
    "Always do what you are afraid to do"
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying"

I have always recommended using gas struts in parallel to take the load with the hydraulics (or electrics) to move so removing the slam down if rams fail. also makes a better, smother job of moving the canopy.
    The opinions expressed in my posts may not be made in a sound mind and should be taken in the spirit intended, Jack Daniels is fine.
    Some people see things as they are and ask why? I dream things that never were and ask, why not?” JFK
    Genuine and an original, "Grumpy old mechanic".

http://ukhozi.page.tl

I am beginning to believe I just screwed up 10 years ago and never fully compressed this particular fitting. I was able to slide the compression piece back over the tube which should not be able to happen if properly installed in the first place. It's back on and goes up and down.

Like I said before though I will be getting new lines made to utilize stronger fittings though.

Hoping to get caught back up in the wiring soon and then move on to the engine!

Ok, I have 0 idea where I left off with the wiring... this could be a while.

Quote Originally Posted by vpogv View Post
    Ok, I have 0 idea where I left off with the wiring... this could be a while.
    Did you document any of it in you build diaries on the nova or sterling site??

Or you can look for wires not connected to anything and start there

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Did you document any of it in you build diaries on the nova or sterling site??

Or you can look for wires not connected to anything and start there
    My notebook had a lot of the systems documented enough. Some wires go from one color to about 4 others through 2 different modules so tracking by color just isn't documented. Fortunately only my hazards took a bit of back tracking.

All the lights are wired up and just need a little cleaning up to make it look pretty. Last night I managed to test my relay box for the interior and "emergency" canopy switches. I'm kind of shocked but it worked!

I was going to tackle the electric mirror wiring but second guessing my center console location for the switch. I don't really want to run 7 more wires from the canopy down. That being said I am thinking of moving the switch up to the canopy. Any thoughts on drilling a 1"ish hole here? I don't want to risk the canopy structure.

IMG_20200709_193450.jpg

Thats where the mirror switch on my car will go.

Already made the cutout and the switch is mounted

Thanks Brett! I some how didn't see your reply until after I said "screw it" and drilled. I also fished wire from the passenger side through so the hard part is done with this!

IMG_20200710_194816.jpg IMG_20200710_195136.jpg

I used Split Wire Loom flexible Tubing also to run the wire through so with time the rough surface of the fiberglass wont rub the insolation off of the wire to avoid wires shorting out